roads

estevan

I'm not sure about what it's like past the Mayan Palace, but it's in much better shape now than before the summer. It's been resurfaced at least to the Mayan. It was pretty bad when we went to Lobos in May up to the point where the newer coastal highway started (around the Caborca turnoff area) but I haven't been past the Mayan since it's been resurfaced.

ron

Well Known Member
About 3 weeks ago there was still a detour of about 4 mi just past the inspection station. The dirt detour was washboard but drive able. After that, it was smooth sailing all the way to the curve.

asprinkles

Well Known Member
are the marines doing the inspection again or are you talking about the second checkpoint 23 miles or so from Penasco

jerry

Well Known Member
Lee, I came via Nogales and cannot imagine going Lukeville again.The Home Depot is pretty good in Nogales Sonora,Leo's el pastor in Imiris is great,toll road is well a toll road then you hit Caborca for groceries and gas.Even from Phoenix it might not take that much longer and they never look through your shit...

brokenwave

Well Known Member
152 miles.
152 miles??
Nogales to RP is closer to 250 miles, 400km and 4.5 hrs according to Google maps.
Unless there a short cut I'm not seeing?

Going through Nogales would be fun, but I'll stick to going through Lukeville.

Via Nogales it would be almost 8hrs and 440 miles door to door from NE Phx.
Through Lukeville for me, it's a little over 4hrs and 230 miles door to door.

BeachyKeen

Well Known Member
How far is it from Nogales to Penasco?
If ever plan on going through or near Nogy look at a map and see if you can take the "Mariposa" exit (aprox. 4 exits from the Nogales border), it takes you around the city like a small shortcut as opposed to driving through Nogy (unless you needed or wanted to stop there for something) but time wise it may save about half an hour but still Lukeville is closer even for us and we are very close to Nogales. Yes, usually less of a hassle and less busy going through to Mexico as our experience but much more of hassle we have experienced coming back to U.S. by our Border Patrol and is much more busy through Nogales , Mariposa coming back to U.S. is much less busy and not usually too much hassle from BP.

Last edited:

JimMcG

Well Known Member

jerry

Well Known Member
From downtown Tucson to Santo Tomas via Nogales is 4 hours with no stops.....but the stops are the fun....Caborca restaurants are great. Note this route is a mistake if you are going to RP but if you are going south to Lobos etc. it has its advantages...

BeachyKeen

Well Known Member
From downtown Tucson to Santo Tomas via Nogales is 4 hours with no stops.....but the stops are the fun....Caborca restaurants are great. Note this route is a mistake if you are going to RP but if you are going south to Lobos etc. it has its advantages...
Is Santo Tomas anything like Bahia Kino? That would be a smidgen closer than Kino too

BeachyKeen

Well Known Member
Thanks for the map screenshot, maybe next time our church goes to Imuris it wouldn't be so long after that. Looks like a fun and good sight seeing route to go but I also love getting to Peñasco as soon as I can! :- D Don't know much about Santo Tomas but the camping "resort" looks cool for a better option than a tent (for me heehee)

JimMcG

Well Known Member

Interesting article, IDK where they came up with 152 miles, typo? They got the other distances correct.
Here is a screen shot of what Google showed, 244 miles. It's still 225 miles via route 43 through Saric.
No clue how that route would be? Jerry might know.

View attachment 7661
I took it to mean 152 miles, straight shot, as the crow flies, not by available roads.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
I took it to mean 152 miles, straight shot, as the crow flies, not by available roads.
Yes, that's what I figured.
I wouldn't be thrilled, if on my first trip that way, I suddenly found it was another 100 miles and didn't have the fuel to make it.
From some of the posts here, fuel options seem limited down that way.

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
When I do distance from Tucson to Santo Tomas it says 5 hours 15 minutes, which is about right since we drove that way a year ago and it took about 6 hours to get to Miramar. Obviously we go the highway 86 to 85 route at under 4 hours.