Rod and Reel suggestions for grouper

JoseAz

We have an 1/8 share in las conchas so get down 6 times a year. the last year or so its been too windy or I've been too lazy to haul it all to the shore.
We will typically just do the adjacent reef. A good sized trigger on an ultralight is a lot of fun. I have a good "fish cake" recipe for trigger.
I'd like to see if there are productive reefs a reasonably safe distance. We have to be able to row back in if something happens to our motor. I see some bigger boats sitting out there but how to find those spots? I have a garmin fish finder but it is float mounted, not mounted in the hull. Doesn't work while travelling, just bounces along the top.

The mouth of the Morua estuary can be fun. As tied rises school fish move through, Sometimes they attack the spoon as soon as it hits the water.
That tall reef on the east side of the mouth has big boulders all around it. On a calm day the water can be really clear and its a fun place to do a little snorkeling

Nicolai

We have an 1/8 share in las conchas so get down 6 times a year. the last year or so its been too windy or I've been too lazy to haul it all to the shore.
We will typically just do the adjacent reef. A good sized trigger on an ultralight is a lot of fun. I have a good "fish cake" recipe for trigger.
I'd like to see if there are productive reefs a reasonably safe distance. We have to be able to row back in if something happens to our motor. I see some bigger boats sitting out there but how to find those spots? I have a garmin fish finder but it is float mounted, not mounted in the hull. Doesn't work while travelling, just bounces along the top.

The mouth of the Morua estuary can be fun. As tied rises school fish move through, Sometimes they attack the spoon as soon as it hits the water.
That tall reef on the east side of the mouth has big boulders all around it. On a calm day the water can be really clear and its a fun place to do a little snorkeling
Wow that sounds like a blast! My kayak I have that humming bird piranha max which I mounted the transducer through the hull successfully with lexel silicone. No gps on that one though.

I've never fished that area since our place is in Cholla, I do want to go there for the corvina and flounder when they run.

I'm a newb to the whole exploration of our ocean there, finding those spots is tough, I got a good pointer from Mexico Joe and luckily I was able to find a spot even found an anchor float to tie off to next time. I pulled up about 40' of rope before it got tight. I'm sure the Pangas use it when they are out. However the spot I found about 5 miles I think didnt have an anchor rope on it.

One day I'll have a lot more spots down. Just learning now, however I am determined to catch a grouper off the jetti atleast one time.

cholla

The absolute worst Stu! For the guys that can leave their boat in RP it's pry not that bad. I've told Claudia that we should consider finding a place or friend that we can leave the boat during our high visitation periods that way if we want to come back to back weekends or twice in the same month we're not having to trailer the boat every time. We love October. I know we'll be down twice in October and definitely once next month in middle to late September. I told her that we could leave the boat in CB and one or two of those trips we could drive one of our Honda Civics down for convenience and good gas mileage. We've taken the 99 Civic that I just sold and the 2011 Civic that is my daily down twice and both times we got 35 miles to the gallon and I don't think the total gas bill exceeded $40 round trip! Claudia has a new 2020 Turbo Civic that we want to take on the open road and OPEN UP. I will let everyone know when that happens out of respect because we will definitely be upsetting some of our forum members with excessive speeds on MEX 8 from Sonoyta to RP. Leaving boat in CB and taking car is doable because once we're there Villa or Hippie can retrieve boat and launch us so no need for an SUV.

The PUERCO PLATA is only getting 9.5 miles to the gallon towing the boat. ATROCIOUS NUMBERS!!!! YUUUUUCK!!! LOL. We towed a CanAM Maverick RC to Hurricane, Utah in June and I saw sub 9... 8.5 miles to the gallon. The gas bill round trip was $400+... The problem right now with the tow rig is that I need to change the gearing in the rear diff. We pry have 3.90 or 3.70 gears in there, stock from factory. Above 70mph the truck starts SEARCHING for power.... OD, 2100... two seconds later, downshift into 3 3000rpm.... climb up to speed, upshift into OD 2100... two seconds later downshift into 3 up to 3200rpm back up to speed upshift into OD 2100... and repeat and repeat and repeat.... That's why we're absolutely sucking gas right now. Eventually I'm going to put 4.56 in there and hopefully it won't have to search the powerband any longer. We should be able to hold OD at 2300 and do 72mph sustained. All through Navajo nation and past the North Rim of the GC we were downshifting into 2 some of the time because you're at 5,000ft and the grade of the road doesn't look steep but you're climbing hard to get up and over the Kaibab forest and I felt so bad for the Sequoia. She was absolutely wrapped out for a good hour or two.
Joe, You can leave the boat in my front drive, across from JJs, Casa Amarillo next to Joe's boathouse if you want. The boat house is full of crap, but the drive is clear.