Rosy, I've Got Some Insurance Questions

Bob Oso

In my circle of friends, when ever the topic of Mexico comes up they turn to my wife or I for advise. I had a few thrown out at me the other night and want to make sure that what I'm saying is correct. These are friends that go a few times a year and usually buy their insurance at any one of those places close to the border. I don't expect you to answer for all carriers, and I'm sure each circumstance is different, but just your opinion from your experience.

1.) The insurance you buy at the gas station or the stores that are near the border on the US side. Are they legitimate policies you're buying?

2.) These policies, are they American or Mexican companies insuring you?

3.) You get into a minor non-injury accident, besides calling the number that is listed on the policy, what else should you do to make sure you're not denied and left paying out of your own pocket?

4.) With that same kind of accident, and you have insurance will your vehicle still be impounded, and if so, for how long?

I've never looked on your web site, but if these questions are answered there, let me know. Besides I'd like to give you a list of my vehicle that I bring down for a quote. Anyway I'd appreciate your input and time.

Thanks Bob Oso

I have been buying my Insurance from here since '04. http://www.getmexicaninsurance.com/ I have never had to use it (knock-knock).........but I fully trust them this place.
I have been told that it is not needed to get into or out of Mexico, but I have heard stories of people that did not have it and ened up with no car.

In my circle of friends, when ever the topic of Mexico comes up they turn to my wife or I for advise. I had a few thrown out at me the other night and want to make sure that what I'm saying is correct. These are friends that go a few times a year and usually buy their insurance at any one of those places close to the border. I don't expect you to answer for all carriers, and I'm sure each circumstance is different, but just your opinion from your experience.

1.) The insurance you buy at the gas station or the stores that are near the border on the US side. Are they legitimate policies you're buying?

3.) You get into a minor non-injury accident, besides calling the number that is listed on the policy, what else should you do to make sure you're not denied and left paying out of your own pocket?

4.) With that same kind of accident, and you have insurance will your vehicle still be impounded, and if so, for how long?

I've never looked on your web site, but if these questions are answered there, let me know. Besides I'd like to give you a list of my vehicle that I bring down for a quote. Anyway I'd appreciate your input and time.

Thanks Bob Oso
Bob...I'm sure Rosy will be on here to answer all your questions...but I'll give you an answer to #4...I had an accident about 4 years ago....my truck was driveable, the other vehicle (Mexican) wan not. Even with Mexican insurance, my vehicle was impounded until I went before the magistrate where I was found not at fault (probably not the correct terminology). I was lucky to get in to see the magistrate that same day (accident was in the morning, magistrate in evening).

If you go on Rosy's insurance site, you'll be able to provide the vehicle info and get an online quote. I just renewed with her online. The prices were the same as with the insurance company that was the selling agent for my last policy....the Mexican companies are the same.

I recommend that you look at the coverages carefully if you're getting anything more then liability (collision, etc.) Some of the companies/policies will cover repairs at Mexican labor rates, the better coverage will use "US" labor rates ( or close to them). This could mean the difference of $20-30 per labor hour. When I had my accident, the policy covered repair at Mexican rates...but I was fortunate that the US agent had negotiated a higher rate (which was not stated in the policy....). I still had to pay out of my pocket, but it was not as bad as it could have been. Now I pay the few dollars more for the policy (yearly) to get the US rates.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Rosy is the expert, but I do know the answers to a few of these.

1). Yes, they are legitimate companies. Often, they are companies like Sanborn that does nothing but write tourist insurance policies. The gas stations and such that sell them are agents and typically make some small percentage of every policy they sell.

2). They are Mexican companies insuring you. It has always been my understanding that liabilty insurance for Mexico can only be underwritten by a company based in Mexico. The company may be an offshoot of a US (or other country) company, but the underwriter must be licensed in Mexico.

3.) Each company is different, so read the instructions carefully about what is required in the event of an accident. The single biggest factor is TO REPORT THE ACCIDENT WHILE YOU ARE STILL IN MEXICO!! There are many other stipulations about estimates, where the vehicle is to be repaired and such that you should inquire about and understand before (or when) buying your policy. Also, be certain to review what happens in the event of a total loss -- what will be paid and what won't, and what will be used as the determining payout factor - low BlueBook value, etc. This varies from company to company. The cost of your Mexican Insurance is usually based on two things - the value you are declaring for your vehicle (and anything in tow) and how long the policy is to be in effect.

4.) Your vehicle is typically impounded until the insurance adjuster shows up and signs the forms with El Jeffe (judge) that prove you have the financial backing (the insurance coverage) to cover any damages caused by the accident. It's Mexico and it takes as long as it takes for someone to actually get there. Maybe Rosy can shed light on what companies (if any) actually have adjusters based in Penasco. The times I know of that an adjuster came, they had to drive up from Caborca, so it took an hour or so.

I'll add this - Even if you only make a few trips a year, you may want to consider a yearly policy. It saves time and, depending on how often you go, can generally save you money, too. I do not sell insurance and Rosy is a great person to give your business to, but you may also want to shop and explore for best prices. Personally, I belong to Vagabundos Del Mar (a large Baja Travel Club) and have bought policies for my truck, boat, on-the-water liability from them in the past because they have many members and strong buying power. If you are a member of Costco, please note that they now have an affliate that sells Mexican insurance. I looked at that option, but the Vagabundos still had better pricing.

Hope this helps! And Rosy - feel free to correct me anywhere I might have strayed a bit.

On the matter of the "adjuster"...there was one working in Penasco who represented 2 or 3 different companies. He was totally useless, as far as I was concerned. He required me to get a repair estimate in Penasco, from "his" body shop guy, who was back in Phoenix for 3 days......when I got tired of waiting...I paid another body shop $25 for a repair estimate that he was willing to take..... and then when it was submitted to the insurance company, they sent out another adjuster in the US to come up with a good estimate. He did go to the magistrate's office (although he showed up late), and if it hadn't been for my friend's wife (mexican), I would have been up s%$t's creek. The magistrate did not speak english, and I don't speak enough spanish, and the family who owned the other vehicle (business truck) were all there with the 16 yr. old who had been driving...without a license!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
...the 16 yr. old who had been driving...without a license!
I believe that. They don't seem to assign any "fault" like American insurance companies do. And I honestly don't know the truth to this, but a Mexican friend just laughed when I asked him about getting a license in Mexico. He said anybody can get one. You just go pay the money and they give you a license, no test or anything. He said many people don't even bother to get a license. He then said -- why do you think the place is full of such terrible drivers? Certain amount of truth to that part of it, for sure!
:cruisin:

Hey Rosy....when you do come on here....could you tell me what the C.O.N.D.E.F.A. license plate is?

A couple of years ago a friend of mine was sideswiped by a car with one of those plates.....hit and run! Someone was able to get the plate number , but when we went down to the police station to report it, they told us that there was nothing they could do to identify the owner.

Hi Bob, the answers to your questions won’t vary much from one carrier to another. From the time we started my company (almost 4 years ago) we knew that the big difference would have to be service. After all, most of our clients don’t speak or understand much Spanish, so my staff and I have to be ready to go at a moment’s notice to run interference if a client has an accident. By the way, I’ve been reading the answers posted here by others. Y’all are good! If any of you wants a job selling insurance, just let me know.

As has been posted by someone else, yes.

Again, someone beat me to the punch…all underwriters must be Mexican companies. Some folks will buy their insurance for example, from AAA. The actual underwriter is a Mexican company that they have an agreement with.

I always tell my clients to call me first. However, on occasion I get a call from someone who didn’t buy from me…I come out anyway, in the hopes that next time they’ll know better. So what am I saying? That you are to call me if you have an accident, of course (whether you bought from me or from the guy Todd is recommending).

Your car should not be impounded if the accident wasn’t your fault and you have proof of liability insurance, but I know that sometimes they mess this up and do it anyway (part of the reason it’s a good idea to have someone there running interference). The impound (regardless of whose fault it was) should be released as soon as all parties sign the agreement (called a convenio). Like in the States, you’ll have to pay towing and impound.

Thanks Bob Oso
Hmm…I don’t recall if it’s there or not. I really do have to get that site revamped. The good thing about it is that you can go there and comparison-shop your insurance (we’ll offer you like six different underwriter options) and then pay for and print out your policy from the convenience of your home or office.
Now for some information you didn’t ask, but will hopefully be useful to some of you:

-Before you buy insurance for Mexico, check with your U.S. company to find out if they cover you for damages in Mexico. If so, they’ll have a limit as to how far from the border that applies. Rocky Point is 66 miles from the border. If they cover you here, then you need only buy liability coverage.

-If you need only liability, you might want the annual Driver’s License policy (best for folks who drive a variety of vehicles, because it covers you no matter what you’re driving. If you have a variety of friends or family driving your car in Mexico, this won’t work for you, as they would each need one. The cost of the D.L. policy is under $100 usd per year.

-If you buy from ProAlliance, 10% of all commissions earned online will be divided between two charities; Adopt-A-Classroom and the Youth Sports Foundation (Mark, there’s a check waiting for last month for you).

-If you like what I do, please consider us when you’re up for renewal (thank you, Joe!)

-I welcome your referrals and your links to my site, but I won’t pay for either. Anyone who recommends me does so from the heart.

I hope this was helpful and apologize to those who will invariably complain about my being allowed to pitch my company.

Last edited:
On the matter of the "adjuster"...there was one working in Penasco who represented 2 or 3 different companies. He was totally useless, as far as I was concerned. He required me to get a repair estimate in Penasco, from "his" body shop guy, who was back in Phoenix for 3 days......when I got tired of waiting...I paid another body shop $25 for a repair estimate that he was willing to take..... and then when it was submitted to the insurance company, they sent out another adjuster in the US to come up with a good estimate. He did go to the magistrate's office (although he showed up late), and if it hadn't been for my friend's wife (mexican), I would have been up s%$t's creek. The magistrate did not speak english, and I don't speak enough spanish, and the family who owned the other vehicle (business truck) were all there with the 16 yr. old who had been driving...without a license!
Ah...but you will never again be up that creek, Joe. Now you know I'll come running even at 4am. Lucky for you guys, I live only 3 blocks from the police station. As for adjusters, we all use the same one. They are freelancers. No underwriter keeps someone here on salary, so when there is an accident, they just go down the list and call one. You might get someone who is here in town or you might have to wait for the guy from Caborca or San Luis. How much cooperation you get from the adjuster can sometimes be influenced by the relationship they have established with us, your agents.

Rosy....you probably mised my question about C.O.N.D.E.F.A. license plates.......are they "trackable" as to ownership, or are they just temporary plates that are "handed" out without any control?

Rosy....you probably mised my question about C.O.N.D.E.F.A. license plates.......are they "trackable" as to ownership, or are they just temporary plates that are "handed" out without any control?
I suspect you're right, but I don't know. It's on my list of things to find out about.

Bob Oso

Rosy, and everyone else thanks for your responses. And Rosy I particulary like the fact of when going through your company is that you are to be called first. With whats been going on lately, to many of my freinds are listening to the hype. I know they'd feel alot better knowing that if something was to happen there'd be someone to help make sure things are on the up & up regardless of who's at fault.

Sorry, I goto go; but here is the link for Rosy to translate and explain. I suspect it is like non-profits in the states not paying taxes, Political Groups in Mex can create plates for "official" use and not be subject to licensing and taxing. This guy has abused that privilege, he was fined and agrees to desist in his practice, the article now says he will now register all the plates going forward in case a crime is committed using one of his cars (plates). (Again my guess here)

http://www.elsolonoticias.com/inicio/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=684:actualizaran-padron-de-condefa-en-caborca&catid=39:noticias-locales&Itemid=55
Thanks Wahoo....everyone of those plates that I've seen have been of the thick paper/cardboard type.

Rosy, and everyone else thanks for your responses. And Rosy I particulary like the fact of when going through your company is that you are to be called first. With whats been going on lately, to many of my freinds are listening to the hype. I know they'd feel alot better knowing that if something was to happen there'd be someone to help make sure things are on the up & up regardless of who's at fault.
When we started ProAlliance, the focus was on service. The Visitor Assistance idea grew out of that...we just started offering the same service to everyone that we were already giving my insurance clients. I don't get called on as frequently as you might expect, but those people who have called look damn glad to see me when I walk into the police station. I hope you never have to test that service! As for calling us first when there's an accident, that just makes sense. Our clients aren't as familiar with the language as we are, so we handle the underwriters, adjusters, etc. Paty and Florencia in my office are great at that stuff.

Thanks Wahoo....everyone of those plates that I've seen have been of the thick paper/cardboard type.
Haven't had time to go read and translate, but I agree that those cardboard plates are all they use. Florencia tells me those plates are not meant to be permanent, but rather an interim way for someone to drive (just around town) while they complete the importation/registration process. But it didn't make all that much sense, especially since she also added that sometimes the government swoops in and takes those cars with C.O.N.D.E.F.A plates. More to follow...