rv care in parks near the coast

joester

2 salty dawgs
I know a number of you have your rv's set up in the parks here, we're looking to buy a used 5'er (or TT) to set up. what type of maintenance issues are we looking at? is a fiberglass/gel outer skin preferable to aluminum? we think a fiberglass roof may be the best, but what are considerations for other roof types? we have rubber roof on our class C, thinking it would deteriorate the quickest. I searched for this and didn't find specific topics regarding salty air issues. any tips or links would be most appreciated, we anticipate it being set up from Oct-April, and more in storage during the hotter months.
what about rv insurance?
thanks much.

Hi Joe nd Teri
I got your note. Fiberglass is the best. Also remember that the roof material EPDM carries a 25 year sun warranty for other uses. I would guess that the coach does not have that but it goes to the quality of the material. The thing about EPDM that I do not like is that it can and sometimes does delaminate from the roof base material. For me anyway I can repair fiberglass easier than EPDM. As you can tell I prefer fiberglass with gel coat. Aluminiun corodes and pits. Your main problem is with the metal parts rusting. I am thinking about cleaning all of the underside metal and having it sprayed with Rino Coat, the stuff they use on bed liners. The pin and step just needs to be kept painted with a good rustolium type paint over a rust sealer base coat. Any more questions just drop me a note
[email protected]