Safest way to rent condo directly from owner

FULLBORE2

Good afternoon, everyone!
I recently found this forum and have found a great deal of information about Rocky Point here. I have been to RP multiple times, but this is the first time that i will be trying to rent a condo directly from an owner, instead of going through a site like Expedia, Priceline, etc. I would like a two bedroom condo at Las Palomas in early April. There is a site called VBRO that has multiple condos for over $300 less than going through the resorts website. I have been reading that Las Palomas is strict about owner rentals, and i want to do this legitimately, as to not have any problems when i get there. Is there an authorized site to rent from a condo owner legitimately, while still getting the rental discount? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ben21

Well Known Member
I've rented through VRBO and it has been cheaper than direct w/ Las Palomas. Just makes sure that your reservation is still through the resort though. You shouldn't be checking in as an owner, or friend of the owner. You should be checking in as a guest on vacation at the front desk. Basically the owner on VRBO will setup the reservation through LP, then you'll call LP directly to give a credit card to hold the dates. This is the process that I followed a few months ago.

BeachyKeen

Well Known Member
Good afternoon, everyone!
I recently found this forum and have found a great deal of information about Rocky Point here. I have been to RP multiple times, but this is the first time that i will be trying to rent a condo directly from an owner, instead of going through a site like Expedia, Priceline, etc. I would like a two bedroom condo at Las Palomas in early April. There is a site called VBRO that has multiple condos for over $300 less than going through the resorts website. I have been reading that Las Palomas is strict about owner rentals, and i want to do this legitimately, as to not have any problems when i get there. Is there an authorized site to rent from a condo owner legitimately, while still getting the rental discount? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I use VRBO all the time and I have had nothing but good experiences. Just make sure that you read the reviews and all of the owners rules and regulations.

BeachyKeen

Well Known Member
No problemo! Have an awesome time. Each individual owner on VRBO usually has a different procedure, I've rented everything from homes in Las Conchas to multiple resorts , never specifically at Las Palomas but As Ben21 said that at Las Palomas you will still have to check in at the front desk even after going through a private owner, that is a win win

FULLBORE2

I've rented through VRBO and it has been cheaper than direct w/ Las Palomas. Just makes sure that your reservation is still through the resort though. You shouldn't be checking in as an owner, or friend of the owner. You should be checking in as a guest on vacation at the front desk. Basically the owner on VRBO will setup the reservation through LP, then you'll call LP directly to give a credit card to hold the dates. This is the process that I followed a few months ago.
I just emailed the owner, and he verified that the reservation is going to be handled by Las Palomas. They will send me an email with the info, and then i will need to call and give my CC info directly to Las Palomas, not the owner. Thanks, ben21 and BeachyKeen! You guys rock!

marybna

Well Known Member
I am with Seaside. What I do is I charge all the fees and the regular rate but give one night free. That makes my 1 bedroom at Bella be competitive. Plus they pay Seaside and if there is a problem there is someone there to take care of it. Las Palomas would not let me do that but I am not there anymore.

SonoranParadise

We own at Las Palomas and most of our rentals are through VRBO - we just make the booking on the LP owners site, and then the rest of the reservation is managed through the resort. This gives the guest the lower owners rate, and still the confidence that if there are any problems upon arrival the resort will take care of everything - including moving the renter to another LP condo, if necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BeachyKeen

Well Known Member
I am with Seaside. What I do is I charge all the fees and the regular rate but give one night free. That makes my 1 bedroom at Bella be competitive. Plus they pay Seaside and if there is a problem there is someone there to take care of it. Las Palomas would not let me do that but I am not there anymore.
Do you have your condo listed anywhere or only on Seaside's site? I've dealt with Seaside, FMI , and Castaways, They were all pleasant and easy to deal with. It's always nice when you can contact an owner directly so that the price is more negotiable. I wouldn't try to low ball anyone especially knowing what landlords deal with and all the costs involved (I rent out a condo in Tucson) however, if there is no need to pay extra for the same or similar item most people are going to go with the less expensive choice. People do need to realize how nice it is to be able to contact an agency if the owner can not be available, that is where you would want to consider paying the little extra for that amenity. If it seems too good of a deal and there was no one to contact while there that's a gamble!

THE EARL

Good info from the forum, appreciate it. hey Randy been waiting since Monday, where are you. I see you have not posted yet.

marybna

Well Known Member
Seaside has it listed and gets about 75%. I have it on craigslist and get the rest. I have a friend that has 3 units and she rents them herself. It is a full time job. She is always running down to RP because of a problem. She has repair people she can call but as you know that doesn't always pan out. We used to have 3 more down there but that was too much with the stuff here and in Oregon. Plus I am really getting old.

adicted

i would never rent through seaside again. the last 2 times down there nothing but problems with them. Last time they said that I broke a vase and was gonna be charged 200$ and automatically charged my credit card. Little do they know I had several videos and pictures from my trip even leaving of the place and low and behold the vase was there leaving. They are crooked and wouldnt deal with them. This was at bella sirena both times. never again, and tell all my friends also....crooks

dwig222

Well Known Member
VRBO is the best site for renting in Rocky Point and I have used it for renting all over the country. I have a reservation right now for a VRBO condo in Keystone. However, you have to dissect the listing and ask all the questions. There are several fees in addition to the rental fee, cleaning fee and taxes. So you have to get the TOTAL fee before you book. I navigate towards listings that have a local phone number (in the USA). Then I call and talk to them to make sure I know exactly what I have to do when I arrive. If they own more than one I'm skeptical. I know someone who booked a listing and then found out the pictures were just a "sample" of the condo they were renting. I also prefer the condo is not in the rental pool, but just rented through VRBO. They have really cracked down on private rentals so the owners do charge and do pay the "fees" to the HOAs. So it's all legal and on the up and up. And, I always ask to see a photo of the beach from the patio so I know my view is not blocked by casitas and buildings. You can also buy insurance through VRBO which I think is pretty cheap, to insure the listing is as it is stated.

I have found Craigslist to be about 80% rental agencies who I personally don't trust. Just my opinion.

marybna

Well Known Member
I always have my Bella on craigslist. I send the renter and Seaside the price with all the fees, (I give on night free to remain competitive with all the people that rent under the table.) The renter pays Seaside, checks in with them, get wrist band and has someone on property fi there is a problem.. I am an original owner, have direct tv, use my unit so I do get a lot of repeats. Because we are all on the ocean, we fight with the patio furniture all the time. I think I am on my 5th set. If it doesn't rust, it get a white coating on it. And you can't have plastic because it blows away.