San Felipe

jerry

From a Friend

Road the beach from san felipe to portocietos today 4 dead whales lost count after 70 something dead dolphins

The locals in San Felipe insist on their social networks the problem is with the mine north of town and that chemicals are flowing into the ocean and that there are also dead long-horned sheep who come down to get water at the mine. Whales and dophins are at the top of the food chain. They do not eat mollusks. If there are no dead fish washing up, which the sea mammals eat, then it is not red tide

jerry

looks like red tide too "

The port in San Felipe, a town in the northwestern Mexican state of Baja California, has been closed to fishing due to the deaths of numerous animals from red tide, the Profepa environmental protection agency said.

More than 550 birds and four sea lions have died in recent days in the waters around the port from red tide, lab tests conducted by Baja California health officials found.

The red tide outbreak may have been caused by pollution, high temperatures, a drop in salinity and low tide action, the Profepa said in a statement.

Fishing, the sale of fish products and consumption of seafood from the area around the port of San Felipe have been temporarily prohibited, Baja California health officials said.

Three dolphins died in the waters around the town and tests were conducted on tissue samples taken from birds and mollusks, the Profepa said.

The tissue and organ samples tested positive for the neurotoxin produced by the algae that cause red tide, officials said. EFE

BryAz

Any more recent news on this? We are going to SF in early March. I wanna be able to eat fish tacos!!

BryAz

We got back from our San Felipe trip last week. We stayed just south of the marina. We walked about a half mile or so down the beach to the south and passed up two dead dolphins. One was visible from the beach in front of our hotel, glad we weren't downwind because it was ripe! They just bury them in sand, and bury them again when the wind blows the sand away.

The fishing ban is set by the Mexican government to protect the Vaquita and it started earlier this year, not based on the supposed red tide as far as I could gather. The fishermen are being subsidized by the government, but at only 120,000 pesos ($8,900 American) per year.

Crime is going up, based on what I've read on other forums, info from locals, and my own experience. Break-ins and theft of copper electrical wire and components are becoming more common. The power went out in the middle of the night one of our nights there, and the property manager said it was because of copper theft, he said it was really becoming a problem. Apparently they steal from the main power lines running along the street. The development we were staying in and the one about a mile south all lost power. I'm not sure if the increased crime is related to desperate out of work fishermen or not.

Fish tacos are still great if you choose the right place. I assume the fish comes from Ensenada.

All in all, San Felipe is great and we had a good trip, but I miss RP and our next trip south will be there.