Santo Tomas, Friday the 13th

Kenny

Well Known Member
It was calm Friday morning and I was trying not to have any expectations. It had been calm Thursday and with Jerry on his Quad with one of his dogs riding behind and Chuck and I in my Jeep with another dog in the back, we headed south to a small estuary. It was about 17 miles of pristine beach and a enjoyable trip. I caught one nice Corvina and we also caught a few Pompano and some feisty grunts before the wind came up.
Chuck and I were relaxing and kind of waiting for the tide to come up a little Friday morning when Jerry, who had been down at the beach came up and said he thought the bite was on, he had seen a few fish caught. Was it ever! It was the day we had hoped for and heard about down that way and it was right in front of Jerry's place! :mexico: Nice fish, 2 and 3 pounds at the start, with one that Chuck caught that was probably at least 4 and that fish put on a Ariel display like a steelhead trout. At one point I counted six castes and six fish in a row and we just started shaking them off the hook when they got close. I tried a variety of stuff to see what wouldn't work, it all worked but the 1oz blue and chrome Kastmaster also caught some nice Pompano. I caught one about a foot long and what a stout fish on light gear. The bite was still on after the tide changed and we just kept shaking them off after we reeled them up to us. I have no idea how many we caught, but I'm sure I caught at least 30 myself, probably more. That my friends was the best Corvina fishing I have ever had :D ..........period.

Kenny

Well Known Member
Well I might of been hiding ;) but the fish didn't come on until the next day, Friday.. Next time you can ride down with me :twisted: , if you have the courage. :shock:

joester

2 salty dawgs
Kenny,
when you mentioned you were right at Jerry's fishing -we have fished on that beach on an incoming tide, and it looked like there's not a lot of structure around . where did you have your success? north or south of the new condos? sure love that beach and the people there, so nice and unspoiled.

Kenny

Well Known Member
Re: Santo Tomas, Friday the Th

Hi Joe,
I would say not more than 100 yards South from where you go down. There was some rock structure, mostly flat and it fingered out into the water, just to our right. There was a clear blue water line that developed on the inside of a sandbar as the tide came in, and the bigger ones were running there.

Kenny