Santo Tomas

jerry

Lobos fishing kills Santo Tomas fishing without a guide.You could hire Scott at Santo Tomas for a full day using your gear for 200 bucks a day...rocks everywhere at Lobos so you would do way better on your own......there is a nice 100 dollar a night 2 br. rental across from the big garage just down from Mason's house
How about Santo Tomas ?
Any gas, places to eat, RV places to park, power water etc ?
How is launching for my jet ski so I can fish. And most of all how is the fishing within 3 miles of shore ? When I go out will there be other boats in case I get in trouble ?
How about cell service with Mex. teles ?

audsley

Just got back from four days at Lobos and have the following developments to report. This was my 7th trip in the last year and a half.

Since my last trip in mid-June, the town now has an automated drinking water dispenser. Bring your own container and some peso coins. I spent four pesos (65 cents) to buy two gallons. Only problem is the machine is fussy about taking coins and there's no one around if you have a problem.

Cell service in Lobos has also made a big step forward. Guy I went down with bought a Mexico plan from Verizon and had no trouble making and receiving calls. Another guy there has T-Mobile, and he was also able to call. They don't get all the services on their I-Phones that we get here in the states, but at least they can call and text.

I heard there is usually diesel fuel in Libertad.

There are no RV parks, but you could probably find somebody who'd let you park your RV on their property. You'd just need to be self-sufficient with a gas-powered generator and your own water. There's a guy named Arturo who sells water you could use for showers, washing dishes, flushing toilets and so on. Any local can hook you up with him.

You can find good fishing very close to shore in Lobos, especially if you troll.

I can't imagine fishing off a jet ski. What happens if you hook a really big fish? I once hooked a nine foot shark on a piece of squid. Saturday I was reeling in a Sierra mackerel when a sea lion came out of nowhere and gobbled both the mackerel and the lure. I was glad to be in a boat on both occasions.

As for other boats in the area in case you get in trouble, there are usually several within a mile or two of shore. Most are Mexicans making a living. Farther out they're scarcer. Your best bet is to have a radio, know how to use it there and speak Spanish. And you have to hope someone has the time and inclination to come get you. Rescue arrangements around Lobos should soon improve as the place is getting a harbor master who will have some responsibilities for rescues.

This last trip there were fewer people than I've ever seen there before. No doubt the humidity this time of year discourages many anglers, but the migrant fishermen were also absent. Story I heard was that they weren't catching many fish there and just went elsewhere. There weren't many boats on the water either.

audsley

Fishing was disappointing this time. Maybe 10 small groupers, mostly sardineros, ranging from 2 to 12 lbs. Between Thursday evening and Sunday morning, I'd estimate we spent 12 to 14 hours fishing, most of it trolling diving lures just above rocky reefs. That also brought us several rock bass in the one-and-a-half to two pound range, which is larger than what we usually get bottom fishing with bait. Trolling higher in the water column yielded Sierra mackeral and triggers. Bottom fishing was a huge bust this time, possibly due to the tides under a new moon. Saturday afternoon we went out about two miles hoping for pintos and calicos but got blown around a bit and came up with nothing but big triggers. Scuttled that plan and went back in to a within a mile of shore and caught 3 or 4 groupers trolling.

Sunday morning we fished about an hour and a half caught only two rock bass and a 2-lb sardinero. Quitla, a local guy who functions as our guide whenever he goes out with us, noted an unusually high density of bait fish and wondered if our lures simply had too much to compete with. But that could bode well for the future.

Two huge sea turtles (or maybe the same one twice), a finback whale, some sea lions and the usual gangs of dolphins came by to further enrich the experience, although one of the sea lions did cost us a $13 lure.

Our craft, by the way, is a 21-foot panga that was re-conditioned with a couple of the ribs getting cut out in the center to allow walking up and down the boat. It's pushed by a 30 HP Yamaha that doesn't go real fast but is very fuel efficient. That allows us to troll as much as we want without having to haul a ton of gas to Lobos.

It was a disappointing catch for Lobos. But it would have been a fine catch within two miles of Rocky Point.

yep ya never know about fishing. I love Lobos when it isn"t to busy. This is a rough time of year to fish. I think the fish even go out to cooler water ,Ha Ha. Am looking forward to Thanksgiving. I know Quitla pretty well. I met him probably 20 something years ago when he couldn't figure out how to light his rv fridge. He makes the best Scallops in the shell and clams that I have ever tasted. We need to meet up sometime down there. What are you doing thanksgiving,Leigh

audsley

I'll let you know next time I'm going. Thanksgiving I'll be with my family slicing turkey, and immediately thereafter I have a deer hunt. First half of October is already full, but late October and early November are possibilities. I've fished Lobos once in October and it was fine, but November - February is uncharted territory for me. Is fishing any good in the winter months?

Sardis are there as well as dog snapper. Sometimes sea trout. slows way down after thanksgiving. winds out of the north are cold and can blow 4 days straight. Just never know. I usually don't go down much after thanksgiving. But hey ,you never know with the el nino. Leigh

audsley

Wood Spinner, I assume you're asking about Santo Tomas. I think I covered Lobos pretty well. I'll let Jerry handle Santo Tomas since he has a house there and visits often, and I've only been to Santo Tomas once back in 2012.

jerry

As I ask , Hows about facilities. food, gas store RV spaces or a motel ?
Half ass gas,good to fair groceries in Ejido 6 miles inland from ST (plus fish camp 1 mile south and guards sell produce in season...olives,oranges,asparigus,melons,mangos etc,,,) , Rent a house as low as 70 a night on a week basis...a couple restaurants in Desemboque...Y Griga has some good road side grills,..