Santo Tomas

JB123

Hello, I have a trip planned to Santo Tomas in a couple weeks. I am interested in any tips or advice from people familiar with the area. I am particularly interested in learning about the best spots for the following:

1) activities for kids
2) jet ski or boat rentals
3) fishing (shore or boat)
4) clamming
5) snorkeling
6) tidepools
7) other activities or services

I've read that you can hire some locals to come out and cook dinner, give massages, etc. Any detailed info from knowledgable members is greatly appreciated. You may PM me if you wish. Thanks in advance!

audsley

Your best source for Santo Tomas is Jerry, who owns a house there. (He's probably already PM'd you since he seems to eat and sleep at his keyboard.). Let me just say that Santa Tomas isn't Cabo. It isn't even Rocky Point. I'd be surprised if there are jet ski or boat rentals. There's an ocean and some fine beaches there, but I suspect you'll need to make your own entertainment. Maybe Jerry will correct me, but I don't think Santo Tomas is very oriented toward weekend tourism.

JB123

Thanks for this info. We're looking to relax and enjoy the natural aspects of Santo Tomas. That's why I mentioned things like fishing, clamming, possibly crabbing, etc. We'll probably do some beachcombing for shells. We like the fact that it is away from the crowds. It would be nice to rent a boat or a jet ski from any residents in the area of possible.

jerry

Curse of tap talk and smart phone plus working in stops and starts......Depending which house you are renting they most likely have kayaks.Make sure they have easy up if not bring g one....you can leave it above high tide line...never lost anything to theft.Bring g your own snorkels,kites,fireworks.A atv really let's you explore.Many houses have Internet so a amazon fire/prime stick works.After dark don't go to far north or south past a mile...narcos around sometimes...also if on a beer run to town have dome lights on so people see you are tourists...
Your best source for Santo Tomas is Jerry, who owns a house there. (He's probably already PM'd you since he seems to eat and sleep at his keyboard.). Let me just say that Santa Tomas isn't Cabo. It isn't even Rocky Point. I'd be surprised if there are jet ski or boat rentals. There's an ocean and some fine beaches there, but I suspect you'll need to make your own entertainment. Maybe Jerry will correct me, but I don't think Santo Tomas is very oriented toward weekend tourism.

JB123

Thanks Jerry. Any light you can shed on clamming, crabbing, fishing, and tidepooling? Best spots?

jerry

Yes...pitch your shelter 40 yards north of the beach club down on the beach but backed to dunes...great snorkeling and fishing at rock formations another 30 yards north. if a bit wavey boogey board just past these rocks to the north...some kind of sand bar that gives a long ride.....as always best fishing on incoming tide ..sunset sitting kayaks,dolphins usually come by 9-10 am.If Sctt Kiefer is down he can be hired to fish or take you too bird island....lots of firewood in mesquite thatch up on dunes

audsley

Those SOC crabs are very healthy eating. You burn up more calories catching and preparing them than you'll take in eating them.

JB123

Yes...pitch your shelter 40 yards north of the beach club down on the beach but backed to dunes...great snorkeling and fishing at rock formations another 30 yards north. if a bit wavey boogey board just past these rocks to the north...some kind of sand bar that gives a long ride.....as always best fishing on incoming tide ..sunset sitting kayaks,dolphins usually come by 9-10 am.If Sctt Kiefer is down he can be hired to fish or take you too bird island....lots of firewood in mesquite thatch up on dunes
Thanks for the tips. We'll be sure to check out the mesquite thatch for firewood.

JB123

I have a few crab pots in my yard if you want to use
Hey, thanks. I like to use use crab snares for dungies. Lots of fun and I enjoy casting. Pots would be more efficient though as you can get more with each one than you do with snares.

audsley

Now I see that over on the General forum, there's been a discussion of crab harvesting and recipes. Evidently some don't agree with me that they aren't worth fooling with. Guess you can try it and decide for yourself.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Now I see that over on the General forum, there's been a discussion of crab harvesting and recipes. Evidently some don't agree with me that they aren't worth fooling with. Guess you can try it and decide for yourself.
I tend to agree with you. Having lived in Maryland for a number of years, I can't tell you how my eyes lit up when a I saw a bunch of live SOC blue crabs for sale in RP. Bought a couple dozen, iced them down, and drooled the whole way way home thinking about how good they were going to be. Hard to express my level of disappointment. They were stringy, mushy and practically no meat in them at all. Maybe I got a bad batch, I don't know, but all two dozen were like that. Was enough to put them on my "Don't bother." list for the future.