Satellite TV

mel150

Hi, everyone, I posted this question over at Rocky Point online Forum and it got no response (except for the person who suggested I post it here, so here goes).

We bought a house in town and we're moving down there from Canada in late August. I know, we'll be hot, who cares!!

Now, we bought some furniture and a TV last time we were down there. We'd love to have satellite TV, but I'm not sure how to get that going. We would have a mailing address in Canada, and a PO box in Lukeville, but no real physical address in the U.S. DirecTV wasn't much help, they just said they didn't have satellite service in Mexico.

I know a lot of residents from the States get another dish for their existing account in AZ, but we don't have that option. Anyone got some creative ideas for us? Thanks- can't wait to meet everyone.

F

FIESTAFROG

Will directv use a PO BOX? Maybe just tell them you already have the dish and just need service. If they wont take a PO BOX, id suggest finding someone who has a system and piggy back off them. I have a house in AZ with 4 recievers, a house in RP with 2 recievers, and a buddy in RP using my account with one reciever. Directv thinks I have 7 recievers at my house! LOL

JimMcG

mel150 said:
Hi, everyone, I posted this question over at Rocky Point online Forum and it got no response (except for the person who suggested I post it here, so here goes).

We bought a house in town and we're moving down there from Canada in late August. I know, we'll be hot, who cares!!

Now, we bought some furniture and a TV last time we were down there. We'd love to have satellite TV, but I'm not sure how to get that going. We would have a mailing address in Canada, and a PO box in Lukeville, but no real physical address in the U.S. DirecTV wasn't much help, they just said they didn't have satellite service in Mexico.

I know a lot of residents from the States get another dish for their existing account in AZ, but we don't have that option. Anyone got some creative ideas for us? Thanks- can't wait to meet everyone.
Mel, if Direct TV or a roughly equivalent competitor serves your address in Canada, you may not need a US address in order to pull it off.

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
I'm curious as to why you're moving down to Mexico. I've always wanted to, but you must be pretty brave to move to a foreign country.

It's been a while since I looked into it, but Directv used to be a paiin when it came to addresses....have you checked with
Dishnetwork?? I think they may allow rv use.

You might also check into that trailer park right at the border (Lukeville....Gringo Pass)....maybe get a space there for a month to have an address, and a get PO Box at Lukeville and set something like that up. There are also a couple of trailer parks in Ajo and Why to use as a "dummy" address.

Isn't there a satellite tv dealer in town???.....used to be in one of the little plazas down by La Curva? Maybe he can help you out.

tortuga

I use a P.O. Box for my Directv address and they have no problem with it. The Radio Shack in Ajo is a Directv dealer and they are familiar and understanding about users in Penasco.

mel150

WOW! What a great response! Thanks to you all! As far as being brave, we think that the really brave people were the native Canadians who actually lived through these winters up here in a TEPEE!! :)

We just want to get away from the winters, and having visited Rocky Point we were really impressed with the town and the people. Also, there are so many great people living there who have already made living there a breeze! With companies like burrito express to handle your mail, and Rocky Point resources to handle your bill-paying, we anticipate enjoying it very much. Not to mention the amazing blue blue sea, virtually no rain, NO snow, and great seafood. We can't wait.

Jim

I live here and use a box in Lukeville as my billing address. I have never had a problem.

mel150

Oh, ok, great, Jim! Mind if I ask who you use? Directv? And where you got the satellite dish and other equipment?

Jim

Ihave w Directv DVRs and I got them from the place on Speedway near Swan on the South side of the road. I don't know if you are from Tucson or Phoenix but I had lived in Tucson. I had them before I moved here, but just called and changed my address. I installed them myself. I bought a meter and it makes it MUCH easier to find the bird. If you need a hand when you get one, let me know. Jim

mel150

Thanks, Jim, that's very nice! we're actually from Canada, and I think we'll wait till we get down there with all our stuff, then see about how to do this. I've got lots of ideas, now, so thanks to everyone!

C

comsat

mel150 said:

Hello there:

You have many choices.

Buy the equipment in Canada and sub with ExpressVu or Starchoice.

For ExpressVu you can only get 1 satellite out of the 2 in RP.

For Starchoice you will need a bigger satellite dish,like a 1 meter dish or bigger to get good signal.

If you want to Sub to American Programing,you can get Dishnetwork or DTV in the US but some of the requirements are a valid SS#,Picture ID,Physical and Mailing Address in the US.

Last resort is freetv,and you can ask locally who handles that type of equipment.

Good Luck

Jim

The satellite coverage is basically a large circle extending from the US East coast to the West Coast. Since the country is much wider than it is tall, the signal extends into Northern Mexico and Southern Canada. Rocky Point is in the coverage area.

C

cactusamigo

You can get Canadian Nimiq 1,3 at 91 degrees west in Rocky Point. Very strong signal. an 18 inch DTV dish will work very well.

mel150

Ok, thanks so much! I am fairly satellite-illiterate, mind if I ask a few more questions? What other satellites hit Rocky Point? If we went with a subscription to American TV, would we also be able to get any Canadian Channels? (Specifically CTV or CBC, both available on that satellite you mentioned.)

mel150

Sorry, one more question. Say I have a sister-in-law in MA. Can I get a second receiver and dish on her account and take them down to Rocky Point? Thanks again!

garyd

Have your sister add another receiver to her subscription. Probably $5 a month. Have her tell them it is for her Motorhome when they ask her what room it will be in. Then go to any electronics store and buy a dish or buy one on e bay. Keep thr power on the receiver at all times and you should never have problems.