Saying hello, and asking my gringolandia questions now that I am moving to Rocky Point

Hi, my name is Julie, and I am moving from Phoenix, full time. I am in the process of buying a house-looking that is, and hope to be in by March the latest.
So, I am a vegan, and know there is no such thing as a vegan restaurant down there-but can you get vegan options at a grocery store other than produce-for example Amy's Organics frozen dinners and soy or coconut milk nice cream ?
Do I need to buy this kind of stuff in the states, and bring it in regularly?
Is there a store owned by a gringo-one that would be able to do this for me?
Does Amazon ship to RP?
What fees are paid to the real estate agent as a buyer?
How long does it take to build a small house?
THANKS!
I will no doubt have a thousand more questions...

Hi, my name is Julie, and I am moving from Phoenix, full time. I am in the process of buying a house-looking that is, and hope to be in by March the latest.
So, I am a vegan, and know there is no such thing as a vegan restaurant down there-but can you get vegan options at a grocery store other than produce-for example Amy's Organics frozen dinners and soy or coconut milk nice cream ?
Does Amazon ship to RP?
THANKS!
Does Amazon ship to RP?
THANKS!
Julie: good luck. Rent for a while first. Buy something existing. The building process can be brain death.

Is there a store owned by a gringo-one that would be able to do this for me?I'
Does Amazon ship to RP?
THANKS!
I'm vegan as well, and have spent many days over many years in Penasco. Casa Del Capitan is one of the restaurants that will serve refried beans, rice, tortillas that don't contain lard or other animal products. (My favorite order there is pico de gallo, beans, rice, corn tortillas . . . maybe guac on the side.) Sams Club in Penasco usually has a variety of mushrooms, quinoa, rice, and some organic stuff -- like bagged lettuce. But not too much else. (Oh, and I think their frozen section has lots of fruits and veggies -- some of which are organic.) I mostly cook from scratch, combining produce with a large supply of quinoa pasta, rice, etc. And things like almond milk, unopened nuts, beans and grains (I believe) are approved for border crossing. Good luck.

I'm vegan as well, and have spent many days over many years in Penasco. Casa Del Capitan is one of the restaurants that will serve refried beans, rice, tortillas that don't contain lard or other animal products. (My favorite order there is pico de gallo, beans, rice, corn tortillas . . . maybe guac on the side.) Sams Club in Penasco usually has a variety of mushrooms, quinoa, rice, and some organic stuff -- like bagged lettuce. But not too much else. (Oh, and I think their frozen section has lots of fruits and veggies -- some of which are organic.) I mostly cook from scratch, combining produce with a large supply of quinoa pasta, rice, etc. And things like almond milk, unopened nuts, beans and grains (I believe) are approved for border crossing. Good luck.
So not everything food is allowed to come into Mexico? Oh, Jesus. I am in trouble. I HATE cooking, and thus like those prepacked meals. I guess I will have to learn. BUMMER. PS what section of town do you live in-we'll have to be friends if we are the only 2 vegans in town!

So not everything food is allowed to come into Mexico? Oh, Jesus. I am in trouble. I HATE cooking, and thus like those prepacked meals. I guess I will have to learn. BUMMER. PS what section of town do you live in-we'll have to be friends if we are the only 2 vegans in town!
Yep – There are food restrictions at the border. Go to RockyPoint360.com and look under “Travel” to learn more. As far as being vegan and living in Penasco, let’s just say a good survival project might be to start gathering your own recipes! I’ve been vegetarian 30 years (vegan the last 10 years) and could certainly share some tips. So as not to bore our omnivorous forum friends :) PM me, if you want to meet up / get some simple-to-make meal ideas.

Yep – There are food restrictions at the border. Go to RockyPoint360.com and look under “Travel” to learn more. As far as being vegan and living in Penasco, let’s just say a good survival project might be to start gathering your own recipes! I’ve been vegetarian 30 years (vegan the last 10 years) and could certainly share some tips. So as not to bore our omnivorous forum friends :) PM me, if you want to meet up / get some simple-to-make meal ideas.
I am not yet in town, I am still in Phoenix, but will for sure love to meet up when I come down. Can you tell me anything you wish you knew before moving, that you now know?

Landshark

Another good source of information about restrictions on foods and agricultural products when crossing into Mexico.
http://senasica.gob.mx/?Idioma=2&id=622

I am not yet in town, I am still in Phoenix, but will for sure love to meet up when I come down. Can you tell me anything you wish you knew before moving, that you now know?
I'm a part-time resident. But off hand, one of the lessons learned: If they tell you it'll take a year to build, double it.

This chef seems AMAZING , I also read on trip advisor that Chef Mickey does vegan dishes, or did for someone one time, you may want to look into that. I have a hard enough time being GF so I can't imagine how hard it is to be vegan. Thank goodness some things that are loaded with chemicals in the U.S. Aren't so much in Mexico at least.

http://www.sonoranresorts.mx/chef-julios-secret-for-preparing-flavorful-healthy-meals-even-with-dietary-restrictions/

Kea

Any recommendations for finding gluten free foods? Ingredients for home cooking and / or restaurant choices appreciated.

I know Pane e Vino has GF pasta. But can you get a loaf of bread, flour (say, coconut), pizza crust, etc. in Peñasco?

Any recommendations for finding gluten free foods? Ingredients for home cooking and / or restaurant choices appreciated.

I know Pane e Vino has GF pasta. But can you get a loaf of bread, flour (say, coconut), pizza crust, etc. in Peñasco?
You can certainly start with fresh-made corn tortillas that the Tortilla factory sells. Tortilleria building is on west side of Dominguez just north of Casa Hogar and whatever the adjacent side street is. Big warehouse-type building with a little shop next door. Often the shop has a fresh supply, but if not, they'll direct you to the clerk in the warehouse. (Just be prepared to be tortured en route back home with the smell of piping hot corn tortillas filling the vehicle . . . they freeze well, too.)

GV Jack

Snorin God
Story is that Pan y Vino is closing and eventually will move above the restaurant Fish on the hill below El Capitain.

Chef Luca used to follow this forum and if he still does, maybe he'll confirm. Have always enjoyed P & V since it opened.