Sea Wall failures

Roberto

Big tide yesterday resulted in at least 3 sea walls collapsing in LC. Lots more work for the locals.

Landshark

Is this the area in LC where beach erosion is so severe the Federal Zone has been moved back almost to the second row homes and lots?

Roberto

Don't know about moving the Federal zone. Two of the homes are out in section 5 and 9, the tip of the peninsula. Also heard a rumor that Tessoro has significant structural problems.

Landshark

Don't know about moving the Federal zone. Two of the homes are out in section 5 and 9, the tip of the peninsula. Also heard a rumor that Tessoro has significant structural problems.
My understanding is the 20 meter wide Federal Zone basically begins at the high tide line and extends back to the front boundary of beach-front properties. As beach erosion occurs over time, periodically the Feds resurvey the Federal Zone boundaries to follow the high tide line. If the Federal Zone is moved back into a beach front property the annual property taxes of that property will triple. The way to prevent this from happening is to apply for and secure a Federal Zone Concession which will lock the Federal Zone boundaries in front of your property as long as you build a sea wall making a reasonable attempt to prevent beach erosion from occurring. And stay current with your annual property taxes and Fed Zone Concession fees. I heard there were areas in LC where over the years the Federal Zone was resurveyed and moved back to a point where it was getting close to the second row properties.

wendell

Building a sea wall will make the beach erosion worse. I know the federal zone officials in PP really push sea walls but they really are the worse thing you can do to try and prevent beach erosion. Native plants on the dunes is the best thing to prevent erosion

Landshark

We water the plants on our dunes occasionally. Over the years they have done very well. Don't know about the rest of Encanto but our dunes have gained a lot of height in the last 20 yearss, probably a foot.

Doing that will make excellent fresh habitat for the so-called-endangered Fringe-Toed Sand Lizard.

Just go down to the beach properties at Santo Tomas and see how many of the sand swimmers live there now.

JJ

jerry

Not to mention the snakes. Damn things scare the crap out of us when they dart out in front of you.
Found one of those horned rattleshakes in my beach shelter we leave up at Santo Tomas... another under the kayak ( we leave on beach above tide line..in ten years never lost one)