Shootings and Crime

A

atjsutkris

I live in AZ and they said there is a travel warning for Rocky Point. Said the police chief was shot again. So what is the scoop?? Im coming down the end of May into June. I know its a common sence thing not to drive around at night, other than that is daytime still safe??? Looking forward to coming.

Jim

The police chief was not shot again! That is very old news that they are quoting. Just as everyone else says on this forum, don't be stupid and you won't have anything to worry about. I can't tell you how much I hate the media.

G

Gallos

Go down about once a month. Have never had a proble. The media has terrified so many people with a sad outcome for Penasco.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I hate the media, too..........Been going for 46 years.......Will keep going for now.......

A

atjsutkris

Thanks for the update. It didnt stop me from going down right after the police chief was shot and it will not keep me from enjoying all that Rocky Point has to offer. Will be there as planned.

El Gato

Easter Week we had over 100K visitors - families having a great time - no violence. I don't think Phoenix, Tucson, etc. can say the same thing. If you read the Phoenix paper there is violence every single day. For Penasco they had to go back a year to find something to try and scare people with!

SO are we all just going to pretend what happened in March of this year never happened? Is that the new solution? Jesus, people. This shit is just going to get worse with that attitude.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
SO are we all just going to pretend what happened in March of this year never happened? Is that the new solution? Jesus, people. This shit is just going to get worse with that attitude.
Please enlight me... how is Penasco any more crime ridden than a similar size city in the states? Do you hear of more shootings or deaths in penasco? The point is that penasco does not offer more crime than a similar size city, thus why have a travel warning for a town that is no different than one in the states. If we were talking about Juarez or Tijuana, I would understand. We might as well ask for travel warnings to every single city in the states if it is based on the status quo of "nothing special crime wise". If we are picking unique circumstances such as a police chief shot last year working the 2am shift in an industrial area (hmmmm) or a shooting in March, I would have a field day making a city like Gilbert AZ or Chandler AZ look like a war zone by picking out crime stories of a shooting at fry's or a shooting at the mall or a beheading in chandler or a rape in gilbert (again and again).

Yes, yes, crime everywhere. I'm pointing out your statement "For Penasco they had to go back a year to find something to try and scare people with!" is in fact not true. The advisory was brief and merely highlighted the most glaring incident. Saying that it's all lies and rumors is a disservice to the Pensco police force, who badly need help and assistance from the military. I just don't understand why they can't set up road blocks/check points on the way in and out of town (to Caborca and Santa Clara as well), show a greater overall military presence and beef it up during such public events. THIS is what we should be all bitching about, not that the govt. put out a presser when it could have hurt business.

And yes, I went down during Spring Break weekend, didn't cancel my trip after I read about the shootings in March, but I was shocked that it never made it to the local press, considering everything. I guess the town dodged a bullet (bad pun, sorry) for that holiday. If anything, this advisory was a month late.

Terry C

Two weeks ago the military did have a check point at the turnaround for people coming and going to the coastal highway. Two weeks before that they were checking people on the short cut to the Encanto area at the same turn around area.

Good to hear! And I know it's kind of weird the first time you see such a military presence when visiting a foreign country, and local business owners can complain all they want that it is bad for business, but the town needs to clamp down on this shit now before a tourist actually DOES find him/herself in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm just as big a cheerleader as everyone else, but when you ignore the reality, you are just as bad as the other side. Don't lump legitimate reporting together with FOX-esque fear-mongering.

garyd

It should have been a travel warning for calle 13 or the Bimbo wharehouse not all of Penasco.