Shrimp Buying

flicks

Well Known Member
Coming down today for a little dentist work & shrimp buying.. Strange combination Ha! Can someone give me a idea of their favorite place to buy shrimp & what they are going for now?
Thanks

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Also on the way into the Malecon there are guys selling on the right hand side street by the marina. I take groups to them and they do a good job getting my folks what they want for a "fair" price (subjective)

garyd

Well Known Member
Coming down today for a little dentist work & shrimp buying.. Strange combination Ha! Can someone give me a idea of their favorite place to buy shrimp & what they are going for now?
Thanks
Just bought yesterday 4 pounds U 10 700 pesos at the fish place behind the Pemex across from Burger King

flicks

Well Known Member
Going down to get your grill done?
View attachment 7258
Niceee. Went to LP Dental. They were really nice. But could not do the work. I had a abscess & they would have to open it & leave the tooth open for more days then I would have been able to stay:( But I started on Antibiotics and will go from there.

Gaylord Ski Bum

Sorry it didn't work for you at LP. Went there today (after reading recommendations on RP Talk) for an extraction and was VERY impressed. Cost was only $90. Asked about a toothguard (bitesplint) that would cost $500 back home and they charge $140. They have better equipment then my dentist in Michigan. I'm sold!

marybna

Well Known Member
I know where to buy shrimp but where do you go to buy fish? I have bought talapai at Walmart once or twice but last time they had nothing. What other kinds of fish can you buy and where?

Hillbeartoe

Well Known Member
I know where to buy shrimp but where do you go to buy fish? I have bought talapai at Walmart once or twice but last time they had nothing. What other kinds of fish can you buy and where?
Sea products. Flash frozen -10 degrees. Lenguado, get the small fillets. The medium ones are huge.

tequilatodd

Well Known Member
So Sea Products is the place to go for what would be considered fresh since it's been frozen since day of catch?

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
So Sea Products is the place to go for what would be considered fresh since it's been frozen since day of catch?
Shrimp season closed in April and reopens in September... So there shouldn't be any fresh...I'm not saying there isn't, only that there shouldn't be any..

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Freshhhhhh.......

We bought a few to eat for dinner last time there. Two local chicks with three big cooooleras on the street on Sinola Sunday afternoon. Fresh, cheap and safe since they were being marinated in Clorox Bleach. Always knew they did it but not so obvious.

JJ

tequilatodd

Well Known Member
What I meant by fresh was to say that some of it is frozen in blocks of ice not long after catch. What I have heard is anything you buy after April is most likely been frozen. So would you recommend getting some shrimp at Sea Products or is there a better place

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Freshhhhhh.......

We bought a few to eat for dinner last time there. Two local chicks with three big cooooleras on the street on Sinola Sunday afternoon. Fresh, cheap and safe since they were being marinated in Clorox Bleach. Always knew they did it but not so obvious.

JJ
This is from an article in the U.S. SMELL. Just good common sense here. Conspire to get a whiff of what you’re thinking of buying–either pick up a shrimp in your hand, or, if possible, bend over to sniff. As with all fish, the smell should not be “fishy.” However, in the case of shrimp, a mild aroma that’s reminiscent of cooked shrimp is just fine. Look out, obviously, for olfactory signs of spoilage and deterioration. A couple of specific olfactory no-no’s are a chlorine smell (it is legal to wash shrimp with bacteria-killing chlorine, but this leaves a bad taste), and gasoline (which can come from poor storage conditions on a harvesting trawler.

dwig222

Well Known Member
Sea Products sells them frozen. You just need a cooler, but no ice if you buy the boxes of shrimp. They are colder than the ice. I have kept them in my freezer for as long as a year and they are still fresh tasting when I defrost and cook them. No smells. Not cheap, but well worth it.

tequilatodd

Well Known Member
Sea Products sells them frozen. You just need a cooler, but no ice if you buy the boxes of shrimp. They are colder than the ice. I have kept them in my freezer for as long as a year and they are still fresh tasting when I defrost and cook them. No smells. Not cheap, but well worth it.
thanks...this what i was looking for