Sonoyta Revenue Enhancement Project

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Just a word to all - if you haven't seen it yet, you will and it could cost you $40.

Two weeks ago when I was returning, I saw this first-hand. I heard yesterday from two buddies that were down fishing, they got to experience it first-hand.

On Sundays, the Sonoyta police are now setting up on the far end of town with handheld radar guns. Right by the junkyard and the Welcome sign, typically where the Red Cross has always had a donation stop. No more Red Cross, just the cops. As you approach Sonoyta from Penasco and come around the final curve just before the junkyard, the cops are shooting you with the radar gun. They then stand out in the road and wave you over. They claim that speed limit there (just before you hit town) is 40km. You can pay them $40 on the spot or go see the jeffe.

I saw the guy in front of me get pulled over when I was down. I was towing the boat, so I don't take the curves fast and had already slowed down. My friends got told they were doing 70km and had to pay the $40 on Sunday.

My advice would be - slow WAAAY down as you make that last curve coming into Sonoyta!!

J

JustGiveMeSol

This has been going on for several months now....they sometimes set up right by the bypass of the shops (by the Arizona Market). The speed limit there goes from 40kmh to 20kmh to 40kmh in a matter of a couple hundred feet. The last time they "shot" me, I was at the limit, and just smiled as I drove by them.

I haven't noticed the federal highway patrol recently....they used to cruise the entire road between Sonoyta and RP....but they use the old styule radar units...and I was able to pick them up from a mile away.

Jim

Well Known Member
I have been stopped 3 times. Twice I talked my way out of it somehow. The other time, I followed them to the police station and paid $20. Got a reciept and on went my way. It has been going on for a long time. I have also seen them on the home stretch before Wendys with radar guns. I guess they are upset that they are not reaping the profits from all the tourists passing through.

A

azbeachboy

They got us coming home over spring break at 6:45 am. We got away with a $20.00 on the spot fine.

J

JustGiveMeSol

And when they "got you", you were probably being passed by several mexicans, either on the shoulder, or the other side.... :twisted: :shock: :shock:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Now, now boys! You are gonna get Cactus all riled up again.......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

O the drama!!!!!

ernesto

Well Known Member
They definitely emulate our Police here when it comes to collecting revenue for speeding and open container. The only big difference is the mordida. What's next, photo radar and pink underwear, tent city? Jose Arpaio?

Jeff

Well Known Member
ernesto said:
They definitely emulate our Police here when it comes to collecting revenue for speeding and open container. The only big difference is the mordida. What's next, photo radar and pink underwear, tent city? Jose Arpaio?

:lol: :mexico:

A

AZ Miguel

If they had someone like Jose Arpaio they wouldn't have half the problems they have now. Viva Jose Arpaio.

A

AZ Miguel

You mean twice as many liberals complaining about the laws being enforced?

F

FIESTAFROG

Joe is the last of the politicians who believes if you break a law, you pay the penalty. Not hire a lawyer and try to explain why its not fair or why someone else MUST be at fault! "dont do the crime if you cant do the time".......

A

azbeachboy

They were out today, Tuesday at 2:00 pm. They didn't get me. The circle K was out of gas...