Spearfishing in Rocky Point

B

bajabum

Hello guys,

I just moved to Gilbert Arizona from La Paz Mexico and i miss the ocean very much. I am a spearfisherman and i would be interested in trying it at Rocky Point. Does any body on this forum practice spearfishing?

Any ways i've seen some pictures and i am very interested in catching a gulf grouper, i can free dive to about 70 -80 ft. Are there any places i can find the fish at that depth?

Thanks for the info.

Gonzo

AZ ROB

You would have to swim way out or take a boat from Penasco. I have had luck snorkleing from the steps at the old marina around the front of the fish markets (you can get to 30' deep) all the way to Vino Del Mar. If you go just at sun up and catch the tide right it will push you around then hang out for a bit and then it will push you back. Later in the day it is to dangerous with boat traffic.

B

bajabum

Thanks Rob,

I was thinking of taking a boat out, i don't like diving from shore too much.

If you're going out on a boat you can watch in the mornings for sportfishermen catching bait several miles out in front of the resorts on sandy beach... the depth there is around 60 feet and the way I look at it... if there's bait there, shouldn't the big fish be there eating it..? just a thought...

Mark I still have pictures of us on that drift dive we took. Now that was a fast drift
Rob... I think I still have the video footage I shot on that drift... the water was pretty darn green that day, the vis was just about as far as you could reach... on the surface we were lucky that meeko could sea us in between the peaks of those waves from about 100 yards away since we drifted faster and farther than the boat... but any dive (as long as you get back onboard the boat) is a good dive... I did sea quite a few small stars, big clams and a lot of fast moving sand...

Last edited:

ReelHard

grouper slayer
plenty of reefs to spear fish on. I would be more than happy to take you out on my boat and see how you do. i go down about every weekend.

S

Scorpion Point

Im headed down next weekend (14/15) for my birthday trip. total gringo(aside from the fact that i speak spanish)-i've never been out of the US but hear the spearfishing is good at puerto peñasco. any tips? ive got my own gear and all from a few times fishing in socal. no boat but you say the reefs are good