Spring Break 2017

1/2 mile took 25 minutes, Mexican agents had both lanes running red light getting one in 5 cars. Arrived in Cholla 1230 weather is great.

marybna

A few years ago I had to be there during Spring break when we owned at Spa. I have to say it was not bad at all. There were a lot of College kids in the pool and on the beach. But I found them all to be polite. Also about 10:30 the noise was shut down. They moved on to the beach. The problem was the Old Port and Mirador. No parking and street filled with people. People carrying beer cans but don't we remember when we skied in college?

Eggwyt

We were in a line yesterday afternoon about three miles long. Took an hour to get across the border from when traffic stopped. US side asked how much cash we were taking in and the Mexican side waved us through stopping every eight or so vehicles. Lots of trailers headed south. Busy at the Sonoran Spa pool and beach today but not bad considering that it's spring break.

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
1/2 mile took 25 minutes, Mexican agents had both lanes running red light getting one in 5 cars. Arrived in Cholla 1230 weather is great.
What happens if you get a 'red' light, anyways? It's never happened to me.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
What happens if you get a 'red' light, anyways? It's never happened to me.
You do not pass Go and go directly to Jail. :gaaah:

A green light lets you proceed uninterrupted with no check of anything. A red light means you have to pull over to the side and they will check you out. How thoroughly they will check you out depends on the moon phase, the tides, wind direction, and the Virgin of Guadalupe on any given day. Generally, a trunk check, open the cooler, quick look in the vehicle. But they CAN and sometimes WILL open all your bags, go through everything in the vehicle (depending on aforementioned criteria) and confiscate that which you should not have, or simply turn you around and point you back over the border in a northerly direction. Depending on what it is. Like 100 gallons of gas in an auxiliary tank in the bed of your truck. Other times, they will just mutter "elstupido gringo" and let you go on your way, for like too many cigs or too much booze.

It's truly a crap shoot.

Roberto

If you get a red light you do not pass GO and do not collect $200 and they throw you in jail !!!!!
NO...Basically unless you have dog food or a gun, they check you out for a few minutes and pass you along. The speed limit in Sonoyta is a bigger issue. Drive SLOW

Terry C

25 minute wait at the border today the 16th at 10:00 AM, on the Mexico side seen maybe 20 cars/trucks go through not one stopped. The gate arm was a swinging, 2 of the 5 lanes open on US side. steady stream of traffic headed south.

We headed back north on Sat. Mar 18th, hit the border at 2pm, 3 lanes open, 3 minutes wait.
There was a ton of traffic headed south as we drove home.

The fishing was really good according to my local buddies, Friday they caught 100+ triggers and on Sat landed a nice grouper.
The ocean was smooth like glass with little wind the whole week we were there, Sat. day we left the wind picked up a bit.

From Thurs, Mar. 16th till we left RP and especially in Cholla became busy, nice crowds.

I passed by the new Zip line 10 different times and never saw any people zipping down the hill, but saw a few people waiting around.

As I posted in another Spring Break thread Pollo Lucas was totally full Thurs at 5pm, it took 40 minutes to get take out.
They cook 48 chickens at a time and went through all of them by the time we got our order.

Friday and Sat from Cholla to Ben Jrz was crazy with ATV's and UTV's everywhere.

There was 150 people in JJ's Fri night, most were down for the off road races, all the JJ's regulars were absent at 7pm.
There were some nice looking off road UTV's there, some serious $$ invested in many of them.

Nice to see it busy again, but in 2+ weeks the craziness of Semana Santa starts. I won't be there.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I don't know the actual count but I will say as a guy who had to drive everyday last week between the Malecon and Cholla Bay and almost every road and side street in town.....there was a lot of people here. The Malecon was almost not drive-able after about 11 am and every 1/2 hour after noon it just got more and more congested. I don't know what the border was like on Sunday but I took a caravan of 24 motorhomes to the border at 9:00 am and I am waiting to hear from them what the wait was like. As I came home from the border back to Peñasco, the stream of North bound traffic was pretty much non-stop.

Mid-week the Malecon wasn't too bad, it still took 10-15 minutes to travel it.
There was still parking (10-15 spaces) down by the Satisfied Frog on Mon and Tues at 1:30-2pm ish.
Sad the Beach Bum is closed, construction going on and will be re-opened as ??

Went to pay my taxes on Mon and it took almost 5 minutes, whew. (100 pesos more than last year.)

Sat. going back was easy, light traffic, but going south heavy with a 1/4 mile line waiting to go into Mexico.

As Russ said, lot's of people were down.

mondone

Whitecaps
Mid-week the Malecon wasn't too bad, it still took 10-15 minutes to travel it.
There was still parking (10-15 spaces) down by the Satisfied Frog on Mon and Tues at 1:30-2pm ish.
Sad the Beach Bum is closed, construction going on and will be re-opened as ??

Went to pay my taxes on Mon and it took almost 5 minutes, whew. (100 pesos more than last year.)

Sat. going back was easy, light traffic, but going south heavy with a 1/4 mile line waiting to go into Mexico.

As Russ said, lot's of people were down.
Beach Bum to re-open as a steakhouse by the landlord himself who supposedly owns a cattle ranch.