Sting Ray protection?

mel150

Hi, all, I love to run in the ocean (When I can't swim, which is when there are big waves), but I'm a little nervous about getting a stingray hit. Anyone know of protection for that? How big are the rays here? I assume that if you had protection up to above the ankle you'd be ok? Thanks.

The only "protection" I know of is to do the "stingray shuffle"....drag your feet in the saned when you're walking.

I've seen rays from about a few inches across to about a foot and a half.....the big ones many years ago on sandy beach.

Edit: My daughter and I have been out at Cholla Bay halfway across, walking around looking for sand dollars....occasionally had one scurry out with just about every step (shuffle) I took. Fortunately, we have never been hit in many years of doing this.

don

You can purchase a pair stingray boots, for about 100 bucks from Cabelas, product # "830359".

I've known a number of folks who've been hit (one several times) and they do not go in the ocean anymore without wearing these boots (including my buddies petite 120# wife). The boots are every bit as "big clunky" as they look. My buddy (whos' been hit several times) dawned his boots on went on a "stingray stomp" :lol: with no injuries to him or the rays!

BTW, he was shuffling his feet on both occasions, and the second occasion he definitely was, because once you've been hit, you'll never forget!

Been shuffling as well, and have felt the slippery membrane beneath my feet several times. :shock:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
beachgirl said:
I have yet to see one in 10 years.
It's the one's you can't see that you should be worried about! :shock: :shock:

My experience is that they are more prevalent on sandy beaches, but don't discount them being around the Mirador, either. As Don mentioned above, doing the "stingray shuffle" is your best protection.

This is one case where size doesn't matter. The little ones are probably more apt to get you than the big ones. In close to 30 years of going to Mexico, I've been hit twice. Oddly enough, both times in the left-hand. Once while unhooking a small stingray I caught while fishing. I thought I was holding him so that he couldn't get me. Wrong. Got me right in the tip of the middle finger and it swelled up like a bratwurst. First order of business now whenever we catch a stingray is drag it on the beach, take the pliers and cut off the barb before trying to unhook it. Second time was while snorkeling. I had just started swimming and barely brushed across one (that I didn't see) buried in the sand. Startled him and he got me right in the center of the hand. Even with heavy leather gloves on.

That's the whole key to the stingray shuffle. If you make enough commotion shuffling your feet, they know you are coming and will simply glide out of the way. They are not aggressive. I've had them swimming over my feet while standing in one place and surf fishing at La Pinta. It's when they are startled that they react by whipping their tail and barb for protection.

Here's a little fella we caught at the Caballo (over 3 ft. wide):

don

I've got a pair of heavy duty dive booties, great for protecting feet from cora. and they're heavier than these: http://www.dolphinscuba.com/EDGE_6_5mm_Deluxe_Boot_p/bt_3064-dps.htm.

But the boots from Hodgman are much heavier and denser than dive booties. As Stuart can attest those barbs are incredibly sharp.

Like Stu said, we've seen rays in rocky areas (there's bound to be sand within the rocks) but the sandy beaches (Playa Encanto) its common to see several to a couple of dozen rays per day.

BTW, the boots are on sale for 80 bucks at cabelas.

Stu, I've heard rays can be quite good, and quite often passed along as scallops. Did you try it?

B

bahiatrader

Tammy and I had a shore lunch out of stingray at San Carlos one time. We made tacos with it and it was great.
If you make enough commotion or they see you, stingrays will generally try to avoid you.

I have seen, on some of the TV fishing shows, fishermen wearing farm type irrigator boots. I am not sure these would be strong enough. You can get these for about $ 15.00 bucks.

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
The booties in the link are similar to what I wear wade fishing. Unless you are wearing hardened armor type boots over ankle nothing will provide total protection. That said, any material the barb has to pass through will lessen the impact of even a direct hit. It is the junk on the barb that creates the owie so if some gets rubbed off less owie. Also even thin neoprene will deflect a glancing blow so no harm no foul. I have taken a very direct hit on a bare foot and I can testify that it is not fun. I do not take one step into that sea without foot protection, and I ALWAYS do the Cortez shuffle! I haven't been hit in 20 years and I spend thousands of hours wading around every year. I concur that the rays can be found everywhere in the upper Sea of Cortez preferring sandy bottoms.

In the event you do get hit, soak the wound in the hottest water you can stand and apply massive internal dosage of tequila.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I use Adolph's meat tenderizer on the wound and Bacardi Anejo as internal medicine. Works for me!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

B

beachintheblood

In Cholla Bay I had a ray stab through the top part of my foot and the barb came out the side. Foot swelled like it had softball under the skin-pretty nasty.
How thick of a boot can the barb go through?

don

Here's a picture of the boots my friends wear. Since wearing these, they no longer shuffle. They have felt "little tics" as rays lashed their tails at them. BTW, he does alot of night surf fishing and he wont go in the water without them. I've just placed an order a pair in anticipation and preparation for a nine day trip, and the "2009 Great Corvina" hunt.

As you can see, there are multiple layers of rubber and my friend and wife swear by them. I had a pair last year, but I ordered the wrong size and returned them. They are well constructed and will last a long long time.

don

don said:
Here's a picture of the boots my friends wear. Since wearing these, they no longer shuffle. They have felt "little tics" as rays lashed their tails at them. BTW, he does alot of night surf fishing and he wont go in the water without them. I've just placed an order a pair in anticipation and preparation for a nine day trip, and the "2009 Great Corvina" hunt.

As you can see, there are multiple layers of rubber and my friend and wife swear by them. I had a pair last year, but I ordered the wrong size and returned them. They are well constructed and should last a long long time.
My friends have used there's heavily for 3 years and they still look new.

don

"You can purchase a pair stingray boots, for about 100 bucks from Cabelas, product # 830359". These are on sale for 80 bucks through the cabelas website. Only place I've found them.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I just love Cabelas! I'm such a hill-billy that I went on a date there once. It was great! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Kenny

don said:
"You can purchase a pair stingray boots, for about 100 bucks from Cabelas, product # 830359". These are on sale for 80 bucks through the cabelas website. Only place I've found them.
Get a pair Chari :sunny: , you'd look great stomping around in the shallows with them on :p , and between you and Don :boat: the whole area would be safe. :cool: and driving around PP in your Jeep with them on, would drive the local boy's wild.. :D

Kenny

playaperro

El Pirata
Last time I was Hit it was low tide in front of the mormon houses in Las Conchas, ray must have been 6 feet wide, well it felt like it tried everything
windex, pee, pan birote, hydrocrodone, Mezcal, Ended up at the red cross,
Got hit about 1 pm ended up at the red cross 3:30 pm asked me why I took so long, anyway they gave me a shot and I will never forget the red cross, asked them what time they close so I could come back, gave me a scipt. Showed up the next day with an upset stomach.

Kenny

playaperro said:
Last time I was Hit it was low tide in front of the mormon houses in Las Conchas, ray must have been 6 feet wide, well it felt like it tried everything
windex, pee, pan birote, hydrocrodone, Mezcal, Ended up at the red cross,
Got hit about 1 pm ended up at the red cross 3:30 pm asked me why I took so long, anyway they gave me a shot and I will never forget the red cross, asked them what time they close so I could come back, gave me a scipt. Showed up the next day with an upset stomach.
Well it sounds like you could have the record for the biggest one stepped on out of this bunch, maybe we should call you BIGFOOT. :mrgreen: from now on. :D
I remember when I was a kid at Cholla bay, there was so many of them then, that I would chase and spear em as the tide went out, both guitar and ray's.

My favorite thing to do is stand in one place as the tide comes in at La Pinta, and when the crabs start tickling my toes :eek: set a new standing broad-jump record, again. :D