Stop and count to 3

ernesto

Got clipped by the ginger haired cop at Fremont and Josefa yesterday. Didn't stop me 'til I got up by the church. Said I rolled the stop. No mention of mordida, took my license and registration ,made me follow to police station.They wanted 1612 pesos, about a hundred bucks. I called bullshit and asked to see the judge. 10 minutes later I was in front of a pleasant 40 something lady in a little office with my amigo and the cop. My buddy was my testigo and she listened to the story , offered to settle for $50. I told her this was still a shakedown, and amounted to a "gringo tax". She didn't seem to like that and said she had to believe the cop and that he also stops Mexicans there. The cop had a tablet that he showed my buddy. It had a bunch of info about me as a property owner, even tho I never had a problem with the law here.
I told her I have been coming here for many years obey the laws as evidence by no legal history. I said I have total respect for the people here and have a resident card. She offered a $38 fine and said that was the best she could do. I understand how she had to support the cop but told her I would post my experience on the net. She said that's your right to express your opinion.
I paid, shook hands with the cop, he apologized, smiling. I ran into a Mexican friend later in the day who saw me pulled over , said that guy is well known for stopping only gringos.
Beware and use the 3 count! It has been years since I have been stopped.

Any chance you weren't paying attention and didn't come to a full stop? People get lost in thought and conversation sometimes. I know in the states many, many people profess their innocence on minor traffic infractions but in reality they did it.

I agree with you on the warning side. On the other hand, my take on the cops in Mexico is they are money hungry and will rarely cut a gringo a warning.

jerry

Ernesto, I am not sure if it's true but hey this is thr internet,the statement you made to the judge could be enough for a vindictive Mexican offical to pull your fm's .I think I may watch it too!

ernesto

I think at this point I'm more worried about the ginger cop I called out, i told the Judge I'd probably see her again.He knows my truck.

Roberto

Take a photo and get photo of ID of the Officer AND the "Judge". Asst. Chief told the Cholla HOA meeting that photos were OK. Have heard that often a 'sit in' person will represent as a judge and split the $$ with the officer. Especially in the off hours. Partly why the fines are so elastic. Run your voice recorder when you ask for a photo so if it is denied you have something to get you out of jail !!! You can also turn on your video recorder, has sound, don.t be obvious and just hold and wave around the phone while you record and talk. No confrontation that way. Save it and take it to the chief or Alcalde after you pay the 'fine'.

Last edited:
I could be mistaken, but I thought there was a large chart on the wall at the cop shop showing the offenses and their corresponding fines? If so, the fines should be static and not elastic.

ernesto

Yeah there was another Gringo there for something looking for that chart, it wasn't there. Obviously not his first rodeo. I'm here to tell you it IS elastic. So how do you know about the chart? Let's hear your story.