Stop signs

Terry C

Several people have posted on facebook that the police are really cracking down on not stopping at the stop signs. One had a police car behind them, stopped and still got a ticket. Price range is $ 65.00 to $ 165.00 USD CASH.

Rosie is on this........

mis2810

I saw that on Facebook also. Can't imagine why they think this is good business. It's one thing if you actually violate a traffic regulation, it's a whole other thing when they just outright lie about it.

if they are going to start targeting us for running stop signs (that are barely there), then spend the $$ on some new, more visible (reflective, larger, away from trees and bushes).
Just a thought.

Roberto

I thought I have noticed that as well recently and am glad if it is happening to everyone. Years back when I was just visiting I ran a stop sign, went to court and paid some $40 as I recall. I stop now (assuming I see the bloddy thing in time) and piss off the taxi driver behind. Hopefully the effort will eventually include reflective signs and the removal of obstructions blocking the view.

Bicycle riders are another hazard at night. I came within a hairs width of hitting a guy who sped off a sidestreet across Josefa without a though to traffic. It was a brown pants occasion for me.

Roberto

This stop sign thing is just another example of what happens when you have a law on the books that is widely ignored, then start to enforce it. US immigration laws are a good example as are the boat regs. and rental taxes here in Mexico. Pisses people off when they've been doing something for years then get nailed, even if they knew it was illegal all the time.

Roberto

It's scary to see the loaded propane truck cruse through a busy intersection without stopping. Everyone yields to them !!

ben21

Americans are the only ones posting. I assume locals and taxi's are exempt.
Makes sense, couldn't imagine how locals were going to afford that. I'm sure that rate is negotiable like all things down there. $40 seems reasonable.

playaperro

El Pirata
They are only pulling over people opposed to the homeport! Lol, pulled over a couple regulars that hang at the boobar, One person went to see the judge called for back up, the other crumpled his up in front of the cop and tossed it the back of his truck (RUMOR). Cop said pay half if you pay within 24 hours, I been there, cheaper to buy a new license online...

mis2810

Just read on Periodico de Frente's Facebook page they're doing this to locals also. Between 1,000 and 1,200 pesos for not stopping at unseen stop signs.

Roberto

I have definately seen more Mexican plates on vehicles stopped by the police. Hopefully the whole traffic situation will improve.

I just got pulled over for running a stop sign five minutes ago. This happened as I was leaving Bryans, going towards Las Conchas. I did run the stop sign. The cop gave me the warning and even shook my hand saying in really good English: "not all of us are bad apples". I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

I guess things average out. I was pulled over a month ago in Sonoita for "speeding". It was a complete bs. They took me to station and I paid 60 US Dollars. Kind of weird to pay tickets in Mexico with US Dollars.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
for those that do go to the station or court house. request to see the 'posted' price for the ticket you are being charged with. The cost of most violations are posted in the entrance. I thought a speeding ticket was somewhat equal to $30. they should tell you to go to a bank and receive pesos to pay the fine.