Stops along Highway 8 (las Conchas Notice)FYI)

Vvalenz

[FONT=Lucida Grande, Arial, Verdana, Tahoma, sans-serif]Hola, Las Conchas Vecinos,
As a heads up, the Mexican government is conducting a nationwide census during the June, 2010. Beginning Tuesday, June 1st, there will be legitimate stops along the Highway 8 as part of the polling. Details are outlined below in an email from Fausto Soto, International Relations and Tourism for the city of Puerto Penasco.

Any questions, please let us know.

Ginger Beauchamp

URGENTNOTICE

The Secretariat of Communications and Transportation(SCT in Spanish) will conduct a census poll on Highway 8 between Sonoyta and Puerto Peñasco where motorist will be asked Origin-Destination information on their trip and commercial vehicles will be weighed. The company doing this work is conducting this poll on ALL Highways in the States of Sonora and Chihuahua under contract from the Secretary.

They had planned to conduct this census from the 24th until 28th of May but because of the latest incidents in the news, they have agreed to postpone it starting next Monday the31st in the afternoon to set up equipment and the actual polling at11:59 PM until Friday June 4th at midnight. This is a 24 hour operation.

Signs will be placed one mile before the polling station and the personnel will be wearing the proper highway vests and identification.

Please find the following attachments:

1.- Official letter from SCT

2.- Courtesy Translation.

3.- Sample road sign

I urge you to post this information on your social networks and publications ASAP to prevent any misunderstandings. Please confirm if you received all attachments in this e-mail.

Respectfully,

Arq. Fausto Soto
International Relations and Tourism
City of Puerto Peñasco

[/FONT]
[FONT=Lucida Grande, Arial, Verdana, Tahoma, sans-serif]This is a Publication of Las Conchas HOA[/FONT]

Thanks for the heads up, luckily we will not be traveling that week.

Does some one in an office in Mexico City really think that a 24-hour checkpoint to stop legitimate traffic is a good way to gather information about people's travel?

Imagine the outcry if some one proposed this in the U.S.!
What information are they trying to get? Did any one consider scientific sampling? They could have friendly looking people ask questions of folks already stopped at representative stops, maybe gas station in Sonoyta or Rocky Point, or the border, or the 'rest area') or other places motorists stop along the route. With sufficient sample size, the results are dependable.

Instead they will inconvenience every one and scare the heck out of a bunch of tourists. Those tourists will tell every one they know about being stopped in the middle of the night by people with automatic weapons, and Mexico's reputation as a scary place will be enhanced.

It just seems bone-headed.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
None of them had automatic weapons when I was stopped on Tuesday. There is a gigantic sign that says censo, too. They were mostly young women doing the survey. It took less than a minute. They asked where I had been, where I was going, what was the purpose of my travel, what make and year was my Jeep and how much I thought it was worth. It is not a big issue!!!!!!! No Federales with guns, no Army trucks. Just young women with clipboards. How is that scary?

Last edited:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
.......Instead they will inconvenience every one and scare the heck out of a bunch of tourists. Those tourists will tell every one they know about being stopped in the middle of the night by people with automatic weapons, and Mexico's reputation as a scary place will be enhanced.

It just seems bone-headed.
lighten up jmcd, at least you do not have to give your name, address and phone number as with any signature petition in the USA!! all it takes is half a minute and there no uniforms or weapons inbolved!!

playaperro

El Pirata
No Kidding take a pian killer Jmcd, Hey Ink you going to be down next week. did you see the roosters pass through town yesterday?

garyd

lighten up jmcd, at least you do not have to give your name, address and phone number as with any signature petition in the USA!! all it takes is half a minute and there no uniforms or weapons inbolved!!
Heck, I would have stopped anyway the girls were cute. I wanted to stay and chat longer but my wife was getting upset:ham:

jmcdtucson...How many times have you been thru the Border crossing and BP checkpoints in the US???....They ask you pretty much the same things.

Geez, take it easy.

Just anticipating based on observations of the Mexican authorities in the past - i.e., the automatic weapon toting federales, and anticipating what reports of those stops might be blown up into by the american media. It seemed like colossal bad timing.

Sounds like they did it right. My mistake for not believing in them.

1MoKast

None of them had automatic weapons when I was stopped on Tuesday. There is a gigantic sign that says censo, too. They were mostly young women doing the survey. It took less than a minute. They asked where I had been, where I was going, what was the purpose of my travel, what make and year was my Jeep and how much I thought it was worth. It is not a big issue!!!!!!! No Federales with guns, no Army trucks. Just young women with clipboards. How is that scary?
ditto...same thing for us coming down thursday night...heading home tomorrow AM...

InkaRoads

cronopiador
.....Sounds like they did it right. My mistake for not believing in them.
jmcdtucson, by now you should know that the ones you need to wonder what they would do is the american press and consulate, they are the ones that exagerate everything and blow it out of proportin as we well know by now!! :eek3: