Sunday random checks in Lukeville overwhelm travelers

I don't believe that they have to put anything back.....I'd like to see that regulation/law!
I'm sure that all of us frequent border crossers would like to see "that regulation/law", if any such thing exists, which I doubt that it does. Inspection protocal appears to be at the discretion of the administration of the individual Border Entry Point, and may not be uniform. For example, if you enter the country by airport, or by cruise ship, and pass through Customs/Immigration, and your luggage is selected for inspection, the BCI Agent opens your luggage, removes and inspects your personal items, and re-packs them in their original condition, with no effort on your part. I also believe that the inspection procedure is driven by what the BCI Agents can get away with without raising the rath of the traveling public. Comments?

A couple of weeks ago I left Penasco to go to gila Bend to pick up groceries that my older son purchased for me since I am on a very specific diet and eat only organic food. I am also a type 2 diabetic.(I had wanted to extend my stay here in Penasco and cannot find the kind of food I can eat here) I crossed the border and told the US agent I had cooked fish for my lunch and explained that I am a type 2 diabetic on a very specific diet and there was no place that had food that i could eat on the trip. She put my passport wrapped in a orange paper on my windshield and directed me to pull over to that exam station. the agent there asked me what I had and I said I had cooked fish for my lunch due to the fact that I am a type 2 diabetic....bla bla bla....... He then asked if I had anything else, and then I remembered that I had also a cooked chicken thigh as part of my required food. i would be getting my vegetables in Gila Bend. He asked for the chicken, i exclaimed that i had to have enough food for the entire day and asked if i could just eat the chicken then. He gruffly told me "NO, give it to me right now". I gave it to him hoping that he would not ask me to go into one of those exam rooms since i have horrible allergies to things and rarely can be in buildings (due to new paint and other chemicals that might be present). I have been told by people that I should have asked for a supervisor and that would probably have landed me in one of those rooms as well., I was also travelling with my standard poodle age 13. I also did not have a copy of the Rocky Point times on me to point to the section that mentions that "cooked chicken" is allowed. I also did not want to get detained and then have to make my son wait for me and having the ice melt in the chests making packages unstable (awaiting my proper packaging that I did not want to inflict on my generous son) wondering where i was since the cell phone reception sucks at Lukeville. Soooooooo, I have not yet written my letter to the border gurus with my complaint about being denied an allowable item. Unless the info in the newspaper is now different. What do I think about border crossing now? I will not answer that at this time due to my lingering annoyance with being basically put in a very dangerous situation health wise by rampant indifference and possible ignorance.

jerry

Marxist????? Obama is pretty close to a Nixonian Republican on both foreign and domestic policy...Fox news should only be watched in brief segments cactus...try reading a book sometime.
Roberto -

"Al Quida has been very effective in reducing Freedom in teh US doncha think."

I don't agree. It's the Marxist Obama Administration that uses any excuse possible to restrict the freedom of US citizens. For example, why is it necessary for US Border Agents to be armed with machine guns, inspecting US citizens leaving the country, while those weapons aren't necessary for inspecting foreignors entering the US? Wake up America!

A couple of weeks ago I left Penasco to go to gila Bend to pick up groceries that my older son purchased for me since I am on a very specific diet and eat only organic food. I am also a type 2 diabetic.(I had wanted to extend my stay here in Penasco and cannot find the kind of food I can eat here) I crossed the border and told the US agent I had cooked fish for my lunch and explained that I am a type 2 diabetic on a very specific diet and there was no place that had food that i could eat on the trip. She put my passport wrapped in a orange paper on my windshield and directed me to pull over to that exam station. the agent there asked me what I had and I said I had cooked fish for my lunch due to the fact that I am a type 2 diabetic....bla bla bla....... He then asked if I had anything else, and then I remembered that I had also a cooked chicken thigh as part of my required food. i would be getting my vegetables in Gila Bend. He asked for the chicken, i exclaimed that i had to have enough food for the entire day and asked if i could just eat the chicken then. He gruffly told me "NO, give it to me right now". I gave it to him hoping that he would not ask me to go into one of those exam rooms since i have horrible allergies to things and rarely can be in buildings (due to new paint and other chemicals that might be present). I have been told by people that I should have asked for a supervisor and that would probably have landed me in one of those rooms as well., I was also travelling with my standard poodle age 13. I also did not have a copy of the Rocky Point times on me to point to the section that mentions that "cooked chicken" is allowed. I also did not want to get detained and then have to make my son wait for me and having the ice melt in the chests making packages unstable (awaiting my proper packaging that I did not want to inflict on my generous son) wondering where i was since the cell phone reception sucks at Lukeville. Soooooooo, I have not yet written my letter to the border gurus with my complaint about being denied an allowable item. Unless the info in the newspaper is now different. What do I think about border crossing now? I will not answer that at this time due to my lingering annoyance with being basically put in a very dangerous situation health wise by rampant indifference and possible ignorance.
Now you have to be concerned about any food that you are bringing in to Mexico if the customs (Mexican side) are restricting that.....

First, let me start with a disclaimer as I dont mean any disprect to you. Apparently, I have a knack for offending some. Why? Thats another forum.... Anyways...

Arent you being a bit dramatic?

also did not have a copy of the Rocky Point times on me to point to the section that mentions that "cooked chicken" is allowed.
I feel feel your fustration with US Agents. Ive had my run ins plenty of times. They are a interesting bunch. However, just beacause the "Rocky Point Times" says something is legal or illegal or allowed or not allowed does not make it law. What do you think their response would be if you had actually showed them a copy of the Rocky Point Times? Is their a specifc CFR that prohibits those items in Mexico? I doubt it.

Also, the special diet thing. Im a Type 2 IDDM. I find PLENTY of items that my diet requires in Rocky Point and its restrants.

Write your letter "border gurus" and complain about the abrasiveness of the agents you encountered. Im sure those "gurus" will be dealt with immediately and swiftly. I would however, skip the long drawn out dramatioes sound to me that this whole situation can be avoided. Next time the "gurus" ask you if you have anything to declare, you simple smile and say "no" to avoid the headache. If it escalates then ask for a supervisor. If all else fails put your hands up and remain silent. Evidently, as Americans we no longer have any rights whatsoever and the government can do whatever they want at anytime and so on a so forth.

Godspeed.

Last edited:
Rather than "The Rocky Point Times", a much more official document is the US Department Of Agriculture bulletin defining permissable food items that can be imported, available at all border crossing points. If challenged for importing a permissible food item, ask the inspector for a copy, or ask to speak to his supervisor. Keep in mind that you are required to declare all (food) items you import into the US. Anything undeclared can be confiscated, even if permissible to import.