Swimming in Rocky Point

carroll6

Hi. I like to swim, a lot. I swim every day for the exercise I am 61. Are there places to
swim there besides the ocean, or even better, lagoons where I can work out? I also like
hot tub, Sauna. Is the ocean water warm? I've only seen pictures of Rocky Point and
am still studying. I am looking for a retirement sort of place.

Hi. I like to swim, a lot. I swim every day for the exercise I am 61. Are there places to
swim there besides the ocean, or even better, lagoons where I can work out? I also like
hot tub, Sauna. Is the ocean water warm? I've only seen pictures of Rocky Point and
There are places with swimming pools. I don't know of any publicly accessible that are large enough for serious exercise. Maybe someone else will chime in.
Water is warmer than the Pacific for sure. It's not warm in the winter but you could swim with a wetsuit, year-round I imagine.

FYI..............

California Sea Lions haul out and breed on Isla San Jorge.

California Sea Lions follow the commercial boats for bycatch and steal fish from sport boaters around PP.

California Sea Lions hang out in the harbor at PP.

Great White Sharks eat California Sea Lions.

Great White Sharks are common around Isla San Jorge.

Isla San Jorge is 26 miles south of PP.

So you wanna swim for fun in The Sea of Cortez?

Also, I used to feed a ten foot Bull Shark from my boat at the mouth of the harbor while cleaning fish.

JJ

The shark thing is interesting; but since Great Whites and the like prefer deep, cold water, I would consider the shallow, warm near-coastline of south beaches (for example) to be very swim-friendly, and have been successfully testing that theory for over 20 years . . . all appendages still in tact.

YumaJames

Been swimming in Rocky Point for 20 years, and may be mistaken, but I've have never heard of anyone getting attacked by a shark. I've seen em on the boat in deeper waters, caught smaller ones, and lost many a half-fish to em. Not saying they're not in shallower areas, just saying I agree with Southbeacher, I'd also rate the waters as swim-friendly.

audsley

Sharks are a non-issue around Rocky Point. Sting rays, on the other hand, are not. There are also jelly fish, though I don't believe the blue or white ones in the SOC are among the worst. People do quite a bit of swimming off Rocky Point's beaches, and the only real problems I've heard about are with sting rays, which are very painful but not life-threatening.

ernesto

Wow. The inmates are running the asylum on this board. Swim swim swim. The rays are only on the bottom. There are no sharks. The worst that can happen is a jellyfish sting, kinda like a bee sting, no big ting mon. There are no sea lions to molest you. No wonder all the rational people don't post on this board anymore. You guys are outa control.

MIRAMAR

Aw, come on Jungle Jim (that shouldn't be your name because the jungles are very dangerous!). Can't a girl have a perfect weekend at the beach without worrying about Hurricanes, Sharks and Drug Lords? Yes, there may be shootings in Caborca, but no, it's not going to stop me from going to the Penasco. Yes, the hurricanes may be coming and there may be sharks in the water, but that's just going to help lower the temperatures and not stopping me from enjoying the Sea of Cortez. Yes, it may be dangerous for us to drive through Sonoyta to Penasco at night, but no, we're not going to stop enjoying our El Serape tacos because I get off work at 4:00 on Fridays. I'm not living in denial, just going to live my life saying like they do on the airlines: "Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Ride!"

jerry

If a person was diving off Tiburon in September they might run into a bunch of bullsharks...that lady did get all the flesh ripped off her thigh at Bird island in 2006 then the Mexican doctors made it worse...still Miramar is right

Kenny

The fact is than when we're shore fishing and standing knee, thigh, or waist deep in the water, we have a much greater chance of being bite by a shark than if we were swimming and both scenarios are highly unlikely around PP.

rplarry

The whole "hot tub, sauna" thing, makes me kind of nervous.

I think this may be a troller, looking for a little lagoon and hot tub action.

If I am wrong, sorry in advance.