Telmex Internet

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Has anyone had Telmex internet installed recently?
I want to install it at my place in Cholla and have been told there is a waiting list for it.
Anyone experienced this, I would appreciate any info.
Thanks

Roberto

Well Known Member
Do you have a phone line already? There are no new lines available in Las Conchas hence there is no new internet access. May be the same problem in Cholla. I have Estero's satellite internet and love it. There is a phone line in the main house here but we have had nothing but problems with Tel Mex. Like 4 or 5 visits to make a repair. Showing up unannounced.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Do you have a phone line already? There are no new lines available in Las Conchas hence there is no new internet access. May be the same problem in Cholla. I have Estero's satellite internet and love it. There is a phone line in the main house here but we have had nothing but problems with Tel Mex. Like 4 or 5 visits to make a repair. Showing up unannounced.
Thx, Roberto.
No phone line, and I heard Telmex is not installing any new lines in Cholla as well, but need to find out for sure.
Somehow managed to go 10 years borrowing neighbors Wi-Fi or using my phone as a mobile Hotspot to have internet.
Wife is going to retire soonish and would love to have our own connection. My new neighbor got his installed but took awhile.
My wife would balk at paying $75-100 for Sat internet. Heck we pay $45 a month here and it's fast 55mbs speeds.

Sounds like I need to get on the waiting list. I have no problems getting a Telmex landline if that could speed things up.
I know Telmex can be spotty but it would serve our purposes but if not, I'll contact Estero.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Pretty certain that you must have a phoneline to get internet from Tel Mex. If you are asking them for internet they are thinking phone line. Sounds like maybe there are no available lines in Cholla. They have been telling folks in LC that for years now. Personally I think they would love to do away with the high maintenance of aging overhead wires.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I will look at TelCel tomorrow or Tuesday, it's called a USB cellular modem, they are popular in UK because there is no phone line needed, what I am thinking is that you buy the modem and insert a sim card into it which connects to the local carrier (TelCel) I am sure you need to go prepaid in this case and not sure about the speeds although my TelCel data is much faster than my home network. I'll check and get back.

GV Jack

Snorin God
It's called TelCel Amigo. I used it for a number of years. Mostly good, but sometimes spotty.
I used a mobile hot spot with it and could connect up to 10 devices. Never used it for more than a
week at a time. They have various times and data plans available.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Here's the information from TelCel. They have a router that does not require hooking up to phone lines, it is driven by a sim card. It is not a USB dongle but rather a full service modem router. The best deal is to get a 24 month contract, you purchase the router for 1379 pesos and you contract a payment of 349 pesos per month for the 24 months. It is unlimited internet on TelCels 4g network. 10mgb/sec. 5 devices can connect at a time.

If you don't want a contract you can use their amigo plan which is a prepaid sim card. The cost of the unit goes up to 2099 pesos and you can recharge your sim card at any OXXO and many other places, downside is the mb cost more and you only have service for 28 days after you recharge. The contract is the way to go.

These units are specifically for locations without telephone lines but are not as mobile as a usb dongle

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Here's the information from TelCel. They have a router that does not require hooking up to phone lines, it is driven by a sim card. It is not a USB dongle but rather a full service modem router. The best deal is to get a 24 month contract, you purchase the router for 1379 pesos and you contract a payment of 349 pesos per month for the 24 months. It is unlimited internet on TelCels 4g network. 10mgb/sec. 5 devices can connect at a time.

Wow Russ, That's good info. You went way out of your way for this. I certainly owe you a beer or two.
When I'm down in Oct. I'll stop by your housing empire (;)) in Cholla and see if you're available.

I really appreciate it.
Thanks again.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
I checked with Telcel and because I don't have a CC from Mexico yet I couldn't apply for the Telcel internet service,

So, I had the Satellite Internet installed by Aron Browns company on my house in Cholla, the basic package is $250 to install and $40 per month. I am happy to report I'm getting 6.0 mbs down and 1.2 mbs up speeds. Streaming Netflix, Dish Anywhere and Spotify work fine. It isn't supposed to slow down when there are a lot of users on a the same time because of the way the server is set up at the main hub.
I had a Distributor antenna also installed to aid people who don't have a clear line of sight to the main antenna which will allow them to receive a strong signal. As more people get hooked up in Cholla you will be able to use other antennas to get signal for your INTERNET almost everywhere in Cholla. Pretty slick concept. Yesterday Telmex was down in many places and mine was still working just at a slower speed, 1.5mbs.
Contact Aron at 6361100850 .