Temporary AZ license plate tags and travel into Mexico

rplarry

We have a family friend whose family is planning their first trip to Rocky Point in a very long time. They are heading down this Sunday for 5 days. They just purchased a used mini-van from out of state and only have temporary tags, but no plates yet as their title is supposed to arrive in the next couple weeks. Not sure why but the dealership in Oklahoma had to apply for a new title. With that scenario, does anyone know for certain if they can travel into Mexico with temporary tags? Will the Mexican police give them a hard time coming across the border or do you think the local police will when they are in RP ? Or will the US for that matter when coming back?

Not sure what they will do if they can't drive their new car. Thank you to anyone who can help with this question.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I see a lot of newer cars crossing with no problem. The thing that they would ask for coming into Mexico (if they ask) is to see the registration for the car and compare that to whos driving it (in most cases). There may be some kind of hard line on this but as long as the whole buying transaction was on the up and up and they have a registration with them (original) and also they should have Mex insurance based on the registrants information, they should have no problem crossing or form the local cops here. I have been wrong before........ but hey I stick my neck out often enough it is bound to be corrected once in a while. My dos centavos

Eduardo

Banned for Douchebaggery!
Mexico requires proper license plates registered to the driver or a relative of a driver, unless its a rental car. Reason for this, mexican law changed in 2005 when state of sonora expanded their 'tourist hussle free zone'. Reason for this is that used cars are much cheaper in US and many mexicans will go to US and buy a car put a paper temporary plate on it and drive into mexico and there they can sell the car for more money.
I had mexican border agents stop me and asked to see my registration and compared it to my ID and VIN number and I had regular plates.

We have a family friend whose family is planning their first trip to Rocky Point in a very long time. They are heading down this Sunday for 5 days. They just purchased a used mini-van from out of state and only have temporary tags, but no plates yet as their title is supposed to arrive in the next couple weeks. Not sure why but the dealership in Oklahoma had to apply for a new title. With that scenario, does anyone know for certain if they can travel into Mexico with temporary tags? Will the Mexican police give them a hard time coming across the border or do you think the local police will when they are in RP ? Or will the US for that matter when coming back?

Not sure what they will do if they can't drive their new car. Thank you to anyone who can help with this question.
Check with Rosy on here (View Profile: PitiquitoRosy - RockyPointTalk.com - The Largest Puerto Penasco Discussion Forum) or at her insurance site www.proalliance.com.mx

rplarry

Thank you for your replies. I'll pass on this information to our friends, even though it sounded like Russ said 'yeah' and Eduardo said 'neah'. RPJoe had a good suggestion to ask Rosie. I bet she has dealt with this before. Then I will post back on here what Rosie said so it can be a part of the thread. Or better yet, hopefully Rosie sees this and replies first!

Muchas Gracias.

dmcauley

I drove my Jeep in w/paper temps and was hassled one time slightly at the border and they let me in. Two other times, no hassle.

Thank you for your replies. I'll pass on this information to our friends, even though it sounded like Russ said 'yeah' and Eduardo said 'neah'. RPJoe had a good suggestion to ask Rosie. I bet she has dealt with this before. Then I will post back on here what Rosie said so it can be a part of the thread. Or better yet, hopefully Rosie sees this and replies first!

Muchas Gracias.
Hi Larry, Joe's right, we deal with this all the time at the office. Your friends are fine to bring their car with temporary plates so long as they also have corroborating documentation that it's their car. We can insure it with the temporary plates as well. We frequently have clients purchase a new vehicle and we write the policy with the temporary plates, then when they get their permanent ones, we simply make a change on the policy to reflect the correct plate number.

As Dan points out, a border agent or street cop unfamiliar with the plates might ask for more documentation, but there'll be no problem. A reminder: anyone experiencing an undue amount of hassle (something I doubt will happen, by the way) should contact me immediately. If you leave a voice mail on my US number, I will get that right away on my cell as a text message, so please make sure you say where you are and how I can find you.

My cell phone is with me and on 24/7

rplarry

Hi Larry, Joe's right, we deal with this all the time at the office. Your friends are fine to bring their car with temporary plates so long as they also have corroborating documentation that it's their car. We can insure it with the temporary plates as well. We frequently have clients purchase a new vehicle and we write the policy with the temporary plates, then when they get their permanent ones, we simply make a change on the policy to reflect the correct plate number.

As Dan points out, a border agent or street cop unfamiliar with the plates might ask for more documentation, but there'll be no problem. A reminder: anyone experiencing an undue amount of hassle (something I doubt will happen, by the way) should contact me immediately. If you leave a voice mail on my US number, I will get that right away on my cell as a text message, so please make sure you say where you are and how I can find you.

My cell phone is with me and on 24/7
Thank you for this information Rosie, I will cut and paste it and pass it on to our friends. They will be extremely relieved to know this information. I will also give them your contact info for insurance!

Nice to know you are so available to your clients. Very rare in your business I would guess!?

Thank you for this information Rosie, I will cut and paste it and pass it on to our friends. They will be extremely relieved to know this information. I will also give them your contact info for insurance!

Nice to know you are so available to your clients. Very rare in your business I would guess!?
Happy to help, Larry. My staff is really good, too. They understand how important service and communication are to our clients. I look forward to hearing from your friends.