Tequila

T

TerryV

Hola,

My first entry in PP is getting close I recall a string from the old Forum about picking up Tequila once across the border. Well with the move to the new forum those archives are gone so I would like to ask of you folks can help me recall where the duty free shops are and also could you make a few recommendations on some high quality tequila.

Thanks

Terry

The duty free shop is just before you cross the border into Mexico (in the little plaza where the Post Office is). Another good source is at Vasquez...when you go thru Sonoita. Can't really recommend any particular brand, but I prefer the "blanco" for sipping/shots.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I found that "La Ley" supermarket in PP has very good prices on tequila, not a great selection, they carry my brand "Corralejo" liter bottles for $19 US on sale now and then, just make sure you go Monday thru Thursdays during the sales, any other day prices almost doubles, you know that they know the US is coming for the weekend!!!
UETA in Nogales has the 750 ml. for $25 so I imagine the UETA in Lukeville will be the same + o -
"do not drink and drive" do all the drinking before you drive, just kidding!!!!

dmcauley

More myths- The Ley, nor others, raise prices for the weekends- Get real, enjoy RP, and leave the bad attitudes on this side of the border.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
dmcauley said:
More myths- The Ley, nor others, raise prices for the weekends- Get real, enjoy RP, and leave the bad attitudes on this side of the border.
huhh???? sorry I meant "Super ley", attitude??? which one??? have a shot of tequila might make you feel more open to better suggestions!!! :sunny:

PS dmcauley, we were told by one of the cashiers at Super ley about the sales Monday thru Thursday, my wife just reminded me about it!!!! :eek:

joester

2 salty dawgs
I have a few suggestions:
get yourself to a tequila bar witha few friends, and do your own taste-tests by ordering a single shot of as many brands(that you may find to buy for yourself) as you can - then taking TINY sips, and using crackers or chips between to cleanse your palate, see which you like best.
anyways - for my money, here's what I like:

for just sipping (and never salt and lime - that's for cheap stuff) -
my favorite is Corazon reposado. The anejo is also terrific, generally about 5 bucks more/bottle.
Corralejo anejo (tall red bottle) is also very good, as is Sauza Tres Generations anejo.

over-rated and over-priced: Patron (very smooth, lacks aftertaste),Don Julio, Cabo Wabo, El Tesoro, Azul, and a bunch of others.

for margaritas, I like Cassadores reposado - it has a little bite straight out the bottle, but makes a fine margarita.

at Lukeville, the Corralejo anejo was 25/fifth, Cassoadores about 22/liter.
they have had, but not always, the Corazon. I always bring one bottle of Corazon to get myself started.

your taste buds will differ, and everyone has their own favorites.
remember this about tequila - it only needs to be made from 51% from the agave to be called tequila. premium tequilas will say 100% agave. the best tequilas will usually say 100% BLUE agave.
have fun doing your research - I'm still working on the perfect margarita recipe - last one includes pomegranite juice.

anyone care to share their margarita recipes?

joester

2 salty dawgs
Gary -
does it have the same bite the reposado does, or is it a bit mellower?
for instance, I like cassadores reposado in a marg, but not so much straight up.
some of the anejos have too much bite, and too raw a taste for me.
don julio and cabo wabo for instance - the reposados are OK - but the anejos of
those 2 are just too raw for me, like the curevo la reserva, not a great taste for me.
compare then the corralejo - I don't care much for the reposado (tall blue bottle),
but the anejo (tall red bottle) is very nice and smooth.
I'm sure everyone has their own likes/dislikes. part of it is probaby just what you
find for a reasonable price locally, and what you get used to.

garyd

This Anejo in my opinion is very smooth and better than the Repesado but not cheap. $31 at Super Ley

joester

2 salty dawgs
thanks -
I'll see if I can pick up some here in tempe - I'm ready for some margs this weekend! :chef:

C

cactusamigo

Reposado (rested) is aged for a period of time.
Añejo (old?) is aged longer, and should be smoother, but may assume a whisky character.
I prefer a white tequila such as Orendain for margaritas. We all have our own preferences.

joester

2 salty dawgs
good thing there are enough varieties to keep us all content.
I believe anejo means aged. generally a minumum 6 months, sometimes up to 3 years or more, depending on the brand. all tequilas I've seen use oak barrels, some even use barrels from wineries.
one tequila we found - XQ anejo, bottle is shaped as a blue X.
this we found is actually aged in 3 types of barrels, a red oak, a white oak, and elm. the 3 aged tequilas are then blended (no idea what proportion) to make the XQ anejo. It's very smooth, and not dark like some anejos, but is pretty expensive. after buying it a couple times, decided it just wasn't worth the 70-80/bottle price. one other tequila I like that is very smooth and tasty, but also too expensive for general drinking, but makes a great gift - La Pis anejo. dark cobalt blue pyramid-shaped bottle. runs about the same 70-80/bottle - too expensive for most of us to drink very often.
now I've got to find that Cassadores anejo for this saturday......
got myself all worked up in a tequila lather :D

Jim

I'm not really a tequila guy but my brother and people he knows swear that Mickeys tequila is better than any of the expensive brands that they have tried.

joester

2 salty dawgs
Jim -
tell me more about Mickey's, I don't know my way around RP much. taking our rv, we pretty much stay on the Mirador corridor and don't get out much other than a quick ride or cab into town for fish and shrimp.
when we're lucky, we just buy that from the vendor who drives into Playa de Oro alomost everyday.
so where do I find Mickey's tequila?

W

working to retire

I heard that Mickey (owner) died (God rest his soul). I have not seen Mickey's open since. I agree it was the best tequila. I could never stumble out of the place without Mickey giving me 1 or 2 bottles "for the road". I miss it and Mickey.

Jim

Yes, Mickey died a few months ago. He was a great guy and a wonderful host. His son has taken over and is kind of following in his fathers footsteps. Free shots and lots of fun. I too have been there a few times when the doors were locked during normal business hours but they are still doing business. For a while they could not sell tequila to go but I guess they got their permits in order and now the do. It is in the malecon area just East of the Subway and Thrifty Ice Cream store. Last time I bought a bottle for my brother it was $20.

garyd

You can buy Mickey's Tequila in Sonoita (SP?) :mexico: at the big store on the right on the way out of town on the way back to the US :usa and I think there it is less than $20. Memory says $10 but after so many shots the brain cells fade. It is called "Tiquilito" and is very good but I sometimes think it is so smooth because it is only 35% or 70 proof. what is also strange is that nowhere does it say it is 100% agave or Blue Agave anywhere. I still like the Cazadores Anejo better but my taste buds may be fading as well. :mrgreen: