The Big Wheel, with Mickey Rooney

Kenny

OK, so it's way off, but it's my other passion... This is the whole movie on utube. Stick it on favorites, and watch it at your leisure. It's one of the best movies about early open wheel racing, and it's my roots. The early film of the Midgets were taken at old Carrell speedway in Cali. I was there as a baby. My dad ran back in Indiana and in Cali after the war, but got out after my sister was born, to many people were getting maimed and killed and Mom...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_OFRxh5D2Q

fasteddy

Kenny,
Do you have come down to Canyon speedway park for the races? It looks like November will be a big month for open wheel racing. Let me know if your coming down and I'll meet you there to watch some races

Ed

Kenny

Kenny,
Do you have come down to Canyon speedway park for the races? It looks like November will be a big month for open wheel racing. Let me know if your coming down and I'll meet you there to watch some races

Ed
That sounds great Ed. I was going to go down for the ASCA sprint car show last weekend, but something came up. I know there runnung twice next month, but I'll be in Mexico when they run this Saturday along with the Midgets...Maybe at the end of the month?
Here's a great site that's ran by Robbie Allen who owns ABC body shop in Cottenwood. He runs both a sprinter and a Midget, and Nathan High drives for him..Lot's of local info, and a great write up and pictures of the Canyon race last weekend.http://www.abcmotorsports.com/index.htm

fasteddy

I have only been to one race - however my buddy owns CSP and said anytime I want to come he'll get me in - he usually ends up being busy during the race so we could poke around and you could fill me in on the racers and such - I'll be in mexico this weekend but November looks to be good
Ed

Kenny

I have only been to one race - however my buddy owns CSP and said anytime I want to come he'll get me in - he usually ends up being busy during the race so we could poke around and you could fill me in on the racers and such - I'll be in mexico this weekend but November looks to be good
Ed
You know Doug Gabbard then?

fasteddy

Yep - we have been good friends for quite awhile - we coached our kids in basketball for about 7 years - spent a lot of time with him and his family.
do you know him?

Kenny

Yep - we have been good friends for quite awhile - we coached our kids in basketball for about 7 years - spent a lot of time with him and his family.
do you know him?
Not personally, I've talked to him once, but everyone in the racing community thinks he's doing a great job out there.The recent deal he's put together for the ASCA, that's Arizona Sprint Car Association, is going to be a good deal for all concerned.

Kenny

fasteddy

Yes he seems to be doing great out there - let me know when you want to come down and we'll go check out some races

Ed

Kenny

Yes he seems to be doing great out there - let me know when you want to come down and we'll go check out some races

Ed
I will, thanks..I think the 17th is the next sprint race. I alway's insist on paying to get in no matter who I know, and I alway's tell them at the booth, "I'm here because of the sprint cars".

Kenny

Attachments

Last edited:

Terry C

I see you talk sprint cars. My dad back in the 50's have a lot of the drivers race his sprint car. One to mention was Wayne Weiler back in the 50's. I did some racing at Manzy and Wayne came down one day to fit me for his miget in the mid 70's or so and dad said son, you could do well but, please don't. I didn't. .....
Fast Eddy,,,were you the engine builder years ago?

fasteddy

No Terry I wasn't -
fact is I've only been to one race in my life and have zero expierence
with racing - I helped my buddy Doug, who owns CSP on the very first night of races for him as an owner - I grilled the burgers!
I was able to catch a few of the last races and enjoyed them but
I couldn't tell you the difference between a sprint car or a midget
hence my invite to Kenny - figure he could drag me around and explain
things.

Kenny

I've posted a lot of racing stuff on here Terry, including our save manzy petition. Click on online petition, then signature's and you will find some big name's from coast to coast. We didn't save it, but we came close.http://www.savethetracks.com/

Ed, this is why we'll miss Manzy, the big 1/2, so darn much.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZqGbrj87Jk These are sprint cars. 410 cubic inches, 850 ponies, straight drive, no clutch and no mirrors. They only weigh about 1300 pounds, and as you will see, a real alls to the wall race car.

Wayne Weiler, now there is some pretty good company Terry. You were fortunate to have been a friend of his. Did you ever get a chance to meet Roger McCluskey? That guy could not only drive, but like Wayne, helped build some classic rides

Kenny

Terry C

Kenny, no I never meet Roger McCluskey. Some that drove my dad's car were, Hank Arnold, Buddy Taylor, Bill Cheeseburg and some others. The thing that dad told me about not driving was, no one was killed in his car. Cars were getting a lot faster back in his days . He seen Hank get killed at Manzy in someone elses car and he got out of racing. Left the stands and never went back. Just the way it was.