The Cracked Mirror, Reflections of an Appalachian Son

El Gato

Billy Ray Chitwood has a new book published - The Cracked Mirror, Reflections of an Appalacian Son - the story starts in Tennessee and ends up in Penasco. A mix of fact and fiction that starts at the time of the Great Depression.

If any one is interested it can be bought on his web page: www.wix.com/brchitwood/thecrackedmirror or through www.amazon.com

He also wrote "Probable Cause, a Baily Crane Mystery, which is out of print. He is working on another Baily Crane Mystery - this one set in a fictionalized town on the Sea of Cortez.

Kenny

Did you read the excerpts from the book Jerry? If the depiction of Penasco is as descriptive as the following jail house scene, it would be interesting indeed. Funny I never got a "smile of compassion" from any of my jailers.

The jail cell brought back sobriety and a stark reality. Sitting on a hard dirty 'bed thing' in the dimly lit, tiny barred enclosure, the demon thoughts came and possessed me. My world was disintegrating around me! The claustrophobic cell was my coffin of contriteness, a veritable symbol of my languishing life. There again was the 'dark closet' feeling within me, an anxious and suffocating hell! Grabbing at the bars I pitifully called out to the jailer, but no one came. Within the limited space I paced, stopped at the ugly stained wall, splayed my body against it, and tapped my forehead against its roughness. The jailer eventually came. He showed me a smile of compassion and told me that morning would come soon; then, I would be arraigned. The fitful night would pass.

jerry

My one visit too the RP Crowbar motel in 1973 leads me to believe the author never was in there...you couldn't turn around without bumping into another person.The guard also would have beaten the crap out of you if your fellow residents didn't beat him to it..
Did you read the excerpts from the book Jerry? If the depiction of Penasco is as descriptive as the following jail house scene, it would be interesting indeed. Funny I never got a "smile of compassion" from any of my jailers.

The jail cell brought back sobriety and a stark reality. Sitting on a hard dirty 'bed thing' in the dimly lit, tiny barred enclosure, the demon thoughts came and possessed me. My world was disintegrating around me! The claustrophobic cell was my coffin of contriteness, a veritable symbol of my languishing life. There again was the 'dark closet' feeling within me, an anxious and suffocating hell! Grabbing at the bars I pitifully called out to the jailer, but no one came. Within the limited space I paced, stopped at the ugly stained wall, splayed my body against it, and tapped my forehead against its roughness. The jailer eventually came. He showed me a smile of compassion and told me that morning would come soon; then, I would be arraigned. The fitful night would pass.