The Deep Reefs are Hot Right Now

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Just got back from 4 days down in Rocky Point, fished two. Weather was overcast and cool, but the water was flat. Water temps varied between 68 and 72. On Friday, we fished the 51. Picked up two nice halibut immediately on squid. Several goldspots, but not one snapper to be caught anywhere. The black seabass are also around. Saw another boat release one and two or three 100 lb. models were brought in by other boats. Also fished the 53 and caught one of those "what the hell is this" fish. I believe it's a cutlass fish, but will take other opinions. See pic below. This fish had skin like mirrored chrome. I've never seen anything so shiny. Big eyes and mouth full of razor-sharp large teeth. Just when you think you've caught everything there is to catch, something new comes along.

Saturday, we fished the 43 and it was loaded with huge toad-size gold spots. Same with Witch's Hat area. We got one large sardinero (leopard grouper) pushing about 30 lbs.

There are lots of big horse macks outside the harbor, to the south in about 45 ft. of water. Also, the 16 was loaded with macks and we quickly made a tank full for bait of smaller sized macks. No sardines. There are also schools of bonita around that some guys were catching and using for bait. It's what the blacks were hitting on.

Town was very quiet all weekend. Perfect timing after the Bike Rally and just before Thanksgiving. Enjoyed some great meals at Capones - fresh fish tacos to die for! Dave joined us on Saturday and got to wail on a bunch of fish with us. Saw Shawno and Tina, I'm sure the fish are scared knowing Shawn's back in town!! They were trying to launch Sunday at Safe Marine and the tractor broke, so not sure if they got out or not.

Did not see one whale or dolphin all weekend. Not sure where they're hiding.

All in all, another wonderful trip on the beautiful Sea of Cortez!! :puff: Oops!! Will add picture shortly...

Attachments

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Nice...

Did you guys run across Scott and Gabriel on Saturday? They were supposed to be down there fishing as well.

And Me? I spent the weekend replacing some cheapo plastic thru-hull fittings with bronze.

Oh, and my wife and I bought a new house. Yay- moving during the holidays. Fun stuff.

Might be down fishing next weekend after turkey if El Viento allows it.

Kelney

Well Known Member
Good to hear of a productive report. I hope to be down after T-Day to splash the boat.

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
Stuart.....all the dolphin were outside the harbor Friday afternoon....must have seen 30-40 in a span of about an hour having lunch at Boo Bar

IMG_0150.jpgIMG_0142.jpgIMG_0148.jpg

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Nice...

Did you guys run across Scott and Gabriel on Saturday? They were supposed to be down there fishing as well.

And Me? I spent the weekend replacing some cheapo plastic thru-hull fittings with bronze.

Oh, and my wife and I bought a new house. Yay- moving during the holidays. Fun stuff.

Might be down fishing next weekend after turkey if El Viento allows it.
They were there and gone the same day - Sat. They did go out, but not sure where they ended up.

Moving? Oh, I wouldn't hear of such a thing!! Good luck with that!!

seatrout

Hey guys I am heading down for some fishing tomorrow with my 2 brothers. We are relatively new to the offshore fishing in Rocky Point but are expert surf casting from the Cholla Bay area. My brother just bought a new boat and we are finally going to get some experience doing off shore fishing. That being said, I was hoping to get some gps coordinates for reefs in the area. We are looking in the 20 mi. and under range. Private message me if you can provide some help. Thanks everyone.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I was hoping to get some gps coordinates for reefs in the area. We are looking in the 20 mi. and under range. Private message me if you can provide some help. Thanks everyone.

I sent you some of Wally's published GPS points in a PM... enjoy!