The Police in Sonoita are out of control!

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
Seven Mexico & especially Sonoita traffic mafia cop experienced friends pulled over for “speeeding” in Sonoita during the last weekend. Two went to the extremely sham courthouse and still were fined $180 for not speeding. Something needs to be done. This is hurting Mexico.

Last edited:

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
I have been through Sonoyta dozens and dozens of times. I drive about 23mph with locals and zonies usually on my ass. Never been pulled over. I have seen lots and lots of Arizona plated vehicle flying through Sonoyta. While there may be 'some' police corruption, from what I have seen, most of the speeders got what they deserved.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
I have been sitting completely stopped at a stop sign and had a “police” officer pull up and tell me he is giving me a ticket for not stopping. My wife was driving 15MPH and was pulled over for speeding so I say in my own experoience and that of many of my friends your “observances” are atypical. In addition, it does absolutely no good to “go to the courthouse” as the “judge” is as in on the scam as the “police” are. All in all it is bad for Mexico.

JayT

I agree it's hard to encourage friends to visit Mexico and Rocky Point when they're bringing home stories of getting shaken down by the Sonoyta cops after a fun vacation at the beach. There is definitely a targeted Driving While American thing going on with the cops down there, especially in Sonoyta. It's laughable when the locals are driving through stop signs and speeding past slow-driving Americans, right in front of the cops, and the cops target the American vehicles. For regulars, we know about the reports but for newbies, it's especially scary not knowing the language and what to expect. I always breathe a little sigh of relief when I'm through Sonoyta. After 20 years of regular trips up and down to Rocky Point through Sonoyta, we've only been pulled over once heading back to the US in the early morning. We were heading north right after the hilly bend and got popped in beginning of that long straightaway. Funny thing was I was already going slow and only going 25mph but slammed on my brakes out of instinct when I saw the hidden cop gunning me. He flipped his lights on and came after me. Gave him $60 and I was on my way in 5 minutes. Didn't want to hassle with it. (I know, I know!) I always set my cruise control for 22-23 mph throughout Sonoyta and count to three at the stop signs and haven't had any issues since then.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
As many here do, I do the Sonoyta crawl driving 23-25mph. I know most of the Policia hiding places in Sonoyta.
The only time we were pulled over with the cruise set at 24mph, I repeated to the officer,
No Lo Creo, Estas equivocado, (I don't think so, you are wrong). After repeating this back to him 5 times as my response
to everything he said, he conferred with his partner and said Ok, tell the woman (my wife) to drive slow.
The 3 other times we were pulled over, guilty as charged, we followed the police car and paid the fine at the municipal window for fines/bribes.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Shame there isn't a bypass of some sort that would take you from the border to the other end of town and vice versa. I'd even pay a toll for that to avoid driving through Sonoyta. You definitely have a target on your back as a gringo.

adicted

pulled over the last 2 times down...guys was hiding behind some bushes.. I stopped at the stop sign and went and he jumped out of bushes and told me i didnt stop...was so pissed. Hate sonoyta. Crooks

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Shame there isn't a bypass of some sort that would take you from the border to the other end of town and vice versa. I'd even pay a toll for that to avoid driving through Sonoyta. You definitely have a target on your back as a gringo.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Hey Stu,

It is known as the toll road on the Coastal Highway from San Luis Sonora to Puerto Penasco Sonora. Myself and many others regularly do 100 mph. plus and never get stopped. One hundred and ten pesos and the whole road is yours!

JJ

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Hey Stu,

It is known as the toll road on the Coastal Highway from San Luis Sonora to Puerto Penasco Sonora. Myself and many others regularly do 100 mph. plus and never get stopped. One hundred and ten pesos and the whole road is yours!

JJ
That's great if you're coming from Yuma. Not so much coming from PHX when Sonoyta is your only option.

Glad to see you back here. Try not to fuck it up.

ernesto

Well Known Member
I'm thinking of just taking a movie on my phone when I cross the border proving stops and speed. Might just piss em off tho. I haven't heard of any violence from these cops yet. I have been warned by my mexican friends about that town. I've paid mordida twice. Guess that may change.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
I am officially banding you Stu!

The "F" word is really disturbing to some people............like me.

So is there anything of interest that anybody want's to rockypointtalk about now days?

Thanks for the support JoseAz.

Later,

JJ

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
My wife flat out argued, told the cop he was a liar and a cheater and taking advantage of Americanos, she got very angry with the shit-assed cop and he got scared and backed down. I don’t think this will work fo American Men but we are filming everything now and posting our Sonoyta cop experiences online. The Sonoyta cops let the locals blow by us with no license plates on their cars driving 35045 MPH and not stopping for any stop signs while we get pulled over. It is pure BS!. I was 100% stopped at the stop sign just south of Vasquez Liquors and a cop walked up to me and said he was giving me a ticket for not stopping. I argued vociferously for a long time-maybe 15 minutes and it wore the piece of shit down and he finally walked off. F- - - them all!

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
I have been through Sonoyta dozens and dozens of times. I drive about 23mph with locals and zonies usually on my ass. Never been pulled over. I have seen lots and lots of Arizona plated vehicle flying through Sonoyta. While there may be 'some' police corruption, from what I have seen, most of the speeders got what they deserved.
This is the biggest crock of BS statement ever in the history of this forum. Read below.

richwi

Well Known Member
We drive though Sonoyta at least once a month, usually more. I have found that my best friend I. Sonoyta is my dash cam. We always drive under the limit, come to complete stops etc and still have been pulled over a couple times. I politely ask the officer to look at the dash cam video with me either on the spot or at the station and have always just been sent on my way.