The Price of Shrimp

El Gato

Our Grandkids went to the old port yesterday to buy some shrimp and were amazed at the cost (One wanted $31 for 3 pounds). A lot of the stands were closed.

Grandson did a google search and found the following article. It has to be wrong! I don't remember ever buying shrimp for 70 cents a pound.

One simple google search led me to this article updated March 2013

Buying Shrimp in Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point)
Rocky Point sits at the upper end of the Sea of Cortez, and is a popular destination for Arizona tourists driving from Phoenix and Tucson, about four hours away. Since almost all Rocky Point tourists have an automobile, taking shrimp back home is easy. One needs only a cooler.
To find the shrimp vendors in Puerto Penasco, take the main highway into town and follow it past the marina to your right. The road makes a sharp left turn paralleling the waterfront, and passes through the primary tourist shopping section. There are several seafood vendors along the right (waterfront) side of the street, and parking is available on this street, as well as along neighboring streets.
Shrimp are sold out of large coolers here, typically graded by size. Although prices are competitively stable, it never hurts to check more than one vendor. When checking prices, insure that you are looking at the same color and size of shrimp. Recently, large shrimp were running about 20 pesos per kilo. At 2.2 pounds per kilo and 13 pesos per dollar, this would equate to about 70 cents per pound. Some vendors will shell the shrimp for free, and all of them will pack their shrimp in ice. Take advantage of the free ice, but wash the shrimp thoroughly in purified water later.

Terry C

Shrimping season is way over. To hot. It's all frozen and thawed now. I don't eat it but the wife does and I think during the season it's something like $ 6.00 US per pound.

The season for fresh shrimp is any month that has a "R" in it.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Exactly. Now is not the time for shrimp. Season starts Sept. 15 and runs through April. If you've never had the chance, it's great to see the blessing of the fleet and all of the boats heading out of the harbor with fresh paint and such - it's the best they'll look all year!

playaperro

El Pirata
Most of the fish vendors on the malecon have they're own pangas bringing in shrimp most days. They would go under if they had to buy frozen shrimp from the shrimp farm place. Just my assumption.