The trip to Ensenada (or: Carlos Santana and Stevie Wonder to race in Sonora 1000)

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
was a huge success. There is some distortion and exaggeration in the following accounts, but I guess it's no longer a secret. I've translated the one article for your convenience. There's no reason to think Baja is losing races. However the meeting with Mr Norman went better than we could've imagined or hoped for!

[url]http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/112796-Baja-1k-moved-over-to-Rocky-Point?p=1530991#post1530991
[/URL]
Samuel Ortega Dir de DIF, Rosie Glover, Regidor Sergio Vega, Roger Norman de Score-International.jpg

http://www.elvigia.net/noticia/llegar-baja-mil-puerto-pe-asco

Baja 1000 to Puerto Peñasco
Press Release, El Vigia
4 June 2013 - 12:00
Ensenada, B. C. – Due to the promotional and economic impact the Baja 1000 and Baja 500 would have on the city, the government led by Mayor Gerardo Figueroa Zazueta made an initial contact with the leaders of Score-International.
This first meeting with Roger Norman, owner of the company, and Oscar Ramos Jassen, legal representative in Mexico was held during the 45[SUP]th[/SUP] annual Baja 500 race last week in Ensenada, Baja California.
Because such a move would require support from the State, a letter of approval was issued by Javier Tapia Camou, Sonora State Coordinator for the Commission for the Promotion of Tourism (Cofetur), which helped open dialogue between the Administration of Gerardo Figueroa and leaders of Score-International.
Roger Norman and Oscar Ramos were given a presentation outlining the benefits of Puerto Peñasco, among them accessibility via air, land or sea, medical services, lodging options and recreational activities.
The Municipal was encouraged in their desire to host this important sporting event when Score officials announced that they will visit the city in the next 3 or 4 weeks, for the purposes of checking the terrain aerially as a way to help determine a viable route for the race.

And this from some Facebook or Twitter person:

FROM FACEBOOK: The owner of Score International, Roger Norman, met with racers and managers to discuss the possibility of taking all their events and races, such as the Baja 250 San Felipe, Baja 500 and Baja 100 to Puerto Penasco because of the irresponsibility of spectators in Baja California, who set traps, throw urine or rocks at drivers, etc…they have no respect for the drivers and the rules. No official announcement has been made, but indications are more likely in favor of the move…
“People, don’t permit this to happen. Roger Norman and the managers are right. These events are costing lives. Have a conscience. It is said and affirmed that there is a verbal agreement and that by next year the events will no longer be held here”.

El dueño de Score International Roger Norman junto a los corredores y directivos de los eventos estan teniendo dialogos sobre la posibilidad de llevarse todos los eventos y carreras de score como serian la Baja 250 San Felipe, Baja 500 y la Baja 1000 a puerto peñasco, todo esto a base de que en Baja California los espectadores son muy inrresponsables y ponen trampas, abientan orinas a los corredores, lanzan piedras, etc... no tienen respeto por los corredores y las reglas todavia no es oficial pero es mas un si que un no...

¨Gente no permitamos que esto suceda los directivos y Roger Norman tienen razon ya que estos eventos estan cobrando la vida de mas personas hagan conciencia hasta el momento dicen y afirman de palabra que el año que entra ya no se realizaran los eventos aqui¨...

Dezracer

Well Known Member
The Baja 1000 is not going to leave Ensenada for Rocky Point.

1. The city of Ensenada makes way too much money from the race to to lose it.

2. I met with the old owners of SCORE back in 2005-2006 about having a SCORE race in Rocky Point. They were extremely interested and loved the town. But they lost interest after they received little to no interest from the local government. Of course is is back when real estate was booming and tourism is high. Things have changed since then but I only see them adding a new race in Rocky Point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
The Baja 1000 is not going to leave Ensenada for Rocky Point.

1. The city of Ensenada makes way too much money from the race to to lose it.

2. I met with the old owners of SCORE back in 2005-2006 about having a SCORE race in Rocky Point. They were extremely interested and loved the town. But they lost interest after they received little to no interest from the local government. Of course is is back when real estate was booming and tourism is high. Things have changed since then but I only see them adding a new race in Rocky Point.

I thought that's what I said...Score isn't going to leave Baja. They will, hopefully, expand into Sonora, and the proposed route is really gonna get people talking about Peñasco. Sal Fish was also there. When he came here the timing wasn't yet right. All things happen in their time.

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
Never gonna happen lol baja 1k in Penasco yea right
You didn't even know Sal isn't the owner and you know what Roger Norman is going to do? Baja 1000 will keep it's tradition going...but Sonora racing is going to take hold and begin its own tradition. This is a project that's been in the works for years, and through 3 municipal administrations.

Dezracer

Well Known Member
Sorry if I misunderstood what you said.

Also there is no way to connect Rocky Point with race from Baja. The Picante Reserve gets in the way. However I do see a possibility of a stand alone SCORE race in Rocky Point

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
Sorry if I misunderstood what you said.

Also there is no way to connect Rocky Point with race from Baja. The Picante Reserve gets in the way. However I do see a possibility of a stand alone SCORE race in Rocky Point

Actually the articles make it sound as though the race is moving to Sonora. That simply ain't happening. I can't explain in detail yet, but the reserve will not be a deterrent to what is being considered. We're talking about a long race that begins and ends in RP.