The whales of Guerrero Negro Baja South

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
From Peñasco, heading an adventure tour with some locals to the birthing grounds of Guerrero Negro Baja California South. 6 day adventure with the possibility of coming in very close to the whales. The lagoons of Guerrero Negro are a protected nature preserve and access is limited to only a few months a year and only with a certified guide. here's a few pics from one of our photog friends we are meeting there this week. The whole trip is an adventure but the icing on the cake are the whales! Thousands of them in one place for a few months every year, amazing!
DSC03307.JPG DSC03314.JPG DSC03327.JPG DSC03195.JPG DSC03205.JPG DSC03223.JPG DSC03257.JPG

If you like adventure and want to see the real country of Northern Sonora and Baja, put this on your list of things to do in your life!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Enjoy, Russ! GN is a great place. Unfortunately, when I was there it wasn't whale season. Take some great pics!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Nice video. We didnt get to touch them today but we were surrounded by them and they went under us a few times. Totally awesome.

Sent from my LG-P708g using Tapatalk

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
It was an amazing trip for our group of intrepid adventurers. Peñasco to Ensenada through the wine country. Then onto El Rosario for Mama's famous lobster rolls......then onto to Guerrero Negro for an outstanding day of whale experience. We then spent a day in San Ignacio in the middle of the state and then back to GN. We then wen to San Felipe Baja by way of the Chapala dirt road -what a great experience- then back today, 1400 miles in Northern Mexico and everything went the way is was supposed to. Awesome road trip which will be done again and again!

garyd

It was an amazing trip for our group of intrepid adventurers. Peñasco to Ensenada through the wine country. Then onto El Rosario for Mama's famous lobster rolls......then onto to Guerrero Negro for an outstanding day of whale experience. We then spent a day in San Ignacio in the middle of the state and then back to GN. We then wen to San Felipe Baja by way of the Chapala dirt road -what a great experience- then back today, 1400 miles in Northern Mexico and everything went the way is was supposed to. Awesome road trip which will be done again and again!
I wish I could have been there !!!!

Truly amazing. The thought of being able to touch an animal that size. They seem so gentle and with one flick of the tail could take you out.
Some friends of mine were in Hawaii and the whale watching is not allowed to be nearly that close.

MIRAMAR

While it must be incredible to see all those whales in Guerrero Negro, you can take a boat out and get really close to Humpbacks and Fin Whales in Penasco, not as many but just seeing one is amazing.

Last edited:

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Yes you got the mystery pic right. On that same picture you may want to listen to Dark Side of the Moon and think of the group that performed it and you will then know what the Mexican captains call this activity in the foreground.

MIRAMAR

We went whale watching again - this time on the Eco fun. Went about 10 miles out and there were dozens of Fin whales. For our spring breakers (University of Pittsburgh and ASU) $35 and all you could drink was a bargain!

Last edited: