Things to do in August in Rocky Point

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Nope not Mermaids market.......

Friday is the first Paella cooking contest presented by the culinary portion of UTPP a local college, it will be held in the Malecon Friday afternoon from 4:00 to 8:00
RP-paella.jpg

Then later in the month, the Salsa Dancing contest whereby Rocky Point wants to set the record for how many Salsa dancers will be dancing at the same time

RP Salsa contest.jpg

These are a few things to do while you are here in the hot part of the year. Both very local, but both very open to tourist to take part in.​

Last edited:

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
Russ, I don't know if you have any pull, but if they want to boost tourism they need to have these events during the weekend. I see the salsa dance is on a Saturday but the other is on Friday. Can't go to either but they look like fun!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
The events are local events and have nothing to do with tourism as such. The paella contest is a demonstration of the schools success in training the young folk how to cook like a chef. Friday I would consider a weekend event anyway. It is late in the day.

JoseAz

Well Known Member
I agree and extend Miramars thought...we would love to support both events but just do go to RP in August. Too hot and therefore too expensive to keep our 1/8 share open. I love paella!

brokenwave

Well Known Member
I love the thought of eating Paella and being by the ocean, BUT with 95 degree daytime temps and dew points hovering around 80,
that makes returning to Penasco in October a more tolerable trip.
I mean even going for a dip in the ocean during Aug and Sept. doesn't provide much of a cooling off experience
when the water temps are in the 90's.:eek:
That is my humble experience, I am sure there are others who don't mind the heat and humidity and enjoy
it in Penasco during the summer. :cool:

Last edited:

marybna

Well Known Member
We always come in Aug. Of course we live in Green Valley so anything under a 100 is pleasant. I do not bring Dave Dog in the summer.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Yeah I have to say it is warm....but at least I dont live in Dallas, Houston, Orlando........etc..pretty much the same weather right now.. It is tolerable and people live here and other places just like this all year round. We actually kind of like it.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
I am sure when we start staying in Cholla for weeks at a time in the future we will sort of get used to the humidity.
Going from a 10% or less humidity level in Phx to a 60-70% level is tough for me even if it's in S Cal, where we were last week.

We went to the San Diego Zoo last week and it was 88 degrees with 60% humidity, it wasn't great but manageable.
There were many summer camps spending the day there and many of the kids were melting and whining.

I was in Puerto Vallarta in early Sept. a few years ago that was Wow, hot and humid.
Come one October.:)

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
I'm not going to say a thing about how some of the best times in Penasco have been in August . . . about how I read indoors during they day, and put toes in the water and enjoy the breeze and liquid refreshment late in the day. Few people have discovered what an empty beach at sunset or a margarita at breezy Casa Del Capitan in August is like, and I'm selfishly keeping it a secret.

JimMcG

Well Known Member
I'm not going to say a thing about how some of the best times in Penasco have been in August . . . about how I read indoors during they day, and put toes in the water and enjoy the breeze and liquid refreshment late in the day. Few people have discovered what an empty beach at sunset or a margarita at breezy Casa Del Capitan in August is like, and I'm selfishly keeping it a secret.
It is also no secret to the Mexican population who flock to Mexico's beaches during the vacation months of July and August.

Landshark

Well Known Member
Few people have discovered what an empty beach at sunset or a margarita at breezy Casa Del Capitan in August is like, and I'm selfishly keeping it a secret.
Whatever you do don't mention how good the margaritas are at the Captains and don't ever bring up their 50% off all food all year coupons!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
The Paella contest was a super success and the food offerings were fantastic, there were eight teams each with a different recipe. I am not sure which team won yet. For nothing more than a small tip you got to sample each paella and have a taste of the pared wine as well.

paella1.jpg paella2.jpg paella3.jpg paella4.jpg paella6.jpgpaella5.jpg

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
Sounds like fun- thanks for the pics! I was sorry the Taste of Penasco was skipped this year so maybe this will be an impetus to start it back again.

BeachyKeen

Well Known Member
Nope not Mermaids market.......

Friday is the first Paella cooking contest presented by the culinary portion of UTPP a local college, it will be held in the Malecon Friday afternoon from 4:00 to 8:00
View attachment 7871

Then later in the month, the Salsa Dancing contest whereby Rocky Point wants to set the record for how many Salsa dancers will be dancing at the same time

View attachment 7872

These are a few things to do while you are here in the hot part of the year. Both very local, but both very open to tourist to take part in.​
Does anyone know where good paella is served? I asked once and no one answered. I read the wine bar at Laos Mar serves it but only one day a week and no one said if it was good or not. I would have LOVED to be in town when this festival went on, seems like a blast!
Thanks!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
The only place I know is El Tapeo at Laos Mar. I believe it is only Thursday night and I have had it there and it was great. Paella is a difficult expensive dish (although originally it was poor people food) the more seafood involved the pricier it is. El Tapeo is a nice place and you sort of feel like you are in a small Tapas bar in Spain when you go there. Try it out next time you are around.