This is Significant

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
The Washington Post provides some background of the LeBaron family in their article (released moments ago). To me, it seems this was more focused on the family and not some random attack that should raise alarms further than they might already be. Text in bold below is due to me.

"The LeBarons are descendants of Mormons who moved to Mexico in 1924, after disagreeing with the central church over polygamy. For decades, they lived quietly in farming communities, maintaining close ties with the United States and speaking both Spanish and English.
But their relative wealth made them targets of extortion and kidnapping when organized-crime groups began to assert themselves in northern Mexico. In 2009, a prominent member of the clan, Benjamin LeBaron, 31, was shot dead near his community in northern Mexico. He had publicly denounced the drug traffickers, who had earlier abducted his younger brother, demanding a $1 million ransom. (The family refused to pay). The killers left a message saying they were retaliating for LeBaron’s activism."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/at-least-seven-members-of-mormon-family-brutally-killed-in-northern-mexico/2019/11/05/d303e448-ffbb-11e9-9518-1e76abc088b6_story.html

Vice News actually did a really good story on this. Shane Smith vice founder went down to the colony to spend a week there and interview the main Lebaron. I think the story was mainly focused on the fact that after this attack happened the family wanted to bear arms. One of the Lebaron family member is actually in either the state legislature or the national legislature as a chihuahua representative is petitioning the government to make changes that allow settlements to keep and bear arms like military style weapons. Pretty crazy! Mitt Romney's family is a part of the Lebaron colony.

Here is the full news story below.

This is hardly by accident or unrelated. It is obviously directly related to some unknown or "known issue" near their colony. 0 chance this was accident or by mistake or mistaken identity. No chance. Obviously now every American news outlet is going to spin this as random white people gunned down in Mexico.

audsley

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
I just watched a long youtube video put out by Vice from 2012 .

The video is long and saturated with opinion, but contains a lot of video, facts and interviews with Mormon community leaders. To summarize, this Mormon community in Mexico has been at war with the cartels for several years now. Mormon resistance has generally been only defensive in nature, and aside from a few kidnappings and one instance of a double murder, the cartels have held back from waging full scale war against them. This latest incident is a major escalation.

Early in the video I wondered why the Mormons remain there given all they have to put up with. But the video shows an idyllic setting with a thriving agricultural center and a lot of infrastructure. It is not, as someone said earlier, an impoverished Mexican community. I can see why they'd be reluctant to leave especially given that most were born and raised there and have known no other home. But re-locating to Syria might soon start looking like a better option.

Can't imagine what Trump thinks he's going to do that hasn't already been tried before.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Nothing like almost simultaneous postings on the same subject.
I watched it when it originally aired. As soon as I saw the story this morning and saw that it was mormons I knew it wasn't random. This is from the Vice News show that airs Friday nights on HBO. It's off-season right now. Pretty good show that spot lights world problems. Not really political.

rplarry

Well Known Member
I watched it when it originally aired. As soon as I saw the story this morning and saw that it was mormons I knew it wasn't random. This is from the Vice News show that airs Friday nights on HBO. It's off-season right now. Pretty good show that spot lights world problems. Not really political.
thanks for sharing Joe, looking forward to checking this out when I have a few minutes.

I am curious, is the Mormon groups involvement with the cartels cocaine or drug related in some fashion? I’m sure the video will tell me when I watch it but was hoping to get your thoughts before I have a chance to watch in its entirety.

thanks for sharing Joe, looking forward to checking this out when I have a few minutes.

I am curious, is the Mormon groups involvement with the cartels cocaine or drug related in some fashion? I’m sure the video will tell me when I watch it but was hoping to get your thoughts before I have a chance to watch in its entirety.
Just watched the Vice show and it was the best explanation of that community I have seen to date. They don't seem in any way connected to the cartels or the drug trade and seem to be extremely wary of each other. My guess after watching and reading other news stories is this is not random and the women and children were targeted.

rplarry

Well Known Member
Just watched the Vice show and it was the best explanation of that community I have seen to date. They don't seem in any way connected to the cartels or the drug trade and seem to be extremely wary of each other. My guess after watching and reading other news stories is this is not random and the women and children were targeted.
thanks AZCanuck.

What brought you to the conclusion they were targeted, and for what reason ?

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
" . . It is not, as someone said earlier, an impoverished Mexican community. ".
The LeBaron colony is (outwardly) quaint, just as Colorado City in the US seemed. Inside the walls is often not so pretty -- physically nor otherwise. And other of the colonies in Mexico look quite different. Wives / children live in encampments ranging from bonafide houses to broken down trailers. Read books by escapees from polygamy, such as those by Caroline Jessop, Anna LeBarron and others, who give detailed accounts of life in an FLDS Mexican colony, and the bloodshed between and among them

Last edited:

audsley

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
Thanks, Southbeacher. I was not aware of any Mormon communities in Mexico besides this one. David Yetman's PBS show The Desert Speaks included an episode on this community's food production. From the outside it all looked good.

Was anyone besides me surprised to see Mormons drinking whiskey in the Vice video? A couple of Mormon buddies sneaking a dram somewhere is one thing, but this was a community-wide party being videoed. That was enough to tell me their rules must be a little different from mainstream LDS and not just about polygamy.

thanks AZCanuck.

What brought you to the conclusion they were targeted, and for what reason ?
The fact that the video talks a lot about the issues between them over the years. The American colony stands out and both sides keep watch over the other pretty carefully and if you look at a map there isn't much else in the area.

Also read that the 3 vehicles were not all together when attacked. One had separated from the other 2 and was attacked by a different group of gunmen.

I really have no idea though, my response is just a guess on my part.

Vice News actually did a really good story on this. Shane Smith vice founder went down to the colony to spend a week there and interview the main Lebaron. I think the story was mainly focused on the fact that after this attack happened the family wanted to bear arms. One of the Lebaron family member is actually in either the state legislature or the national legislature as a chihuahua representative is petitioning the government to make changes that allow settlements to keep and bear arms like military style weapons. Pretty crazy! Mitt Romney's family is a part of the Lebaron colony.

Here is the full news story below.

This is hardly by accident or unrelated. It is obviously directly related to some unknown or "known issue" near their colony. 0 chance this was accident or by mistake or mistaken identity. No chance. Obviously now every American news outlet is going to spin this as random white people gunned down in Mexico.
WAKE UP!
Nobody cares what the Cartel said. It wasn’t random white people it was targeted at white people who have lived peacefully in Mexico forever. Your another apologists for the Cartel And maybe a racist. It doesn’t matter, the Cartel EVIL has corrupted the ALREADY-corrupt. 150,000 murdered by the cartels Last year. if Mexico doesn’t do something soon STARTING WITH LOCAL GOVERNMENT UP TO federal your economy is going to crash! Mexico looks more and more like Iraq every day! Do you want to be eating out of garbage cans? Without tourism things will go bad quickly. You can’t eat oil. It may already be toooo late. Tourism into Mexico will be ZERRO SOON. Don’t listen to Mexican news, they only tell you what the Gove. wants you to know! Demand the President take action that is strong enough to work. No Presidential bribes! Seek help from other countries if needed. I would say its needed now!
Someone suggested that we all work work to fix the problem, you will be outed and executed by corrupt Government Officials. Maybe the state could do it but I think The Federal Gove. Is the only chance and I am afraid there all on the take. NARCO STATE! Very sad!

rplarry

Well Known Member
WAKE UP!
Nobody cares what the Cartel said. It wasn’t random white people it was targeted at white people who have lived peacefully in Mexico forever. Your another apologists for the Cartel And maybe a racist. It doesn’t matter, the Cartel EVIL has corrupted the ALREADY-corrupt. 150,000 murdered by the cartels Last year. if Mexico doesn’t do something soon STARTING WITH LOCAL GOVERNMENT UP TO federal your economy is going to crash! Mexico looks more and more like Iraq every day! Do you want to be eating out of garbage cans? Without tourism things will go bad quickly. You can’t eat oil. It may already be toooo late. Tourism into Mexico will be ZERRO SOON. Don’t listen to Mexican news, they only tell you what the Gove. wants you to know! Demand the President take action that is strong enough to work. No Presidential bribes! Seek help from other countries if needed. I would say its needed now!
Someone suggested that we all work work to fix the problem, you will be outed and executed by corrupt Government Officials. Maybe the state could do it but I think The Federal Gove. Is the only chance and I am afraid there all on the take. NARCO STATE! Very sad!
Las Conchas Underground, you are a genius.

I feel bad for you getting carpel tunnel by typing nothing that isn’t already obvious, or most of the time, is gobbley-gook.

Are we sure this guy isn’t an old problem poster to this forum? What was his name ??

The video is long and saturated with opinion, but contains a lot of video, facts and interviews with Mormon community leaders. To summarize, this Mormon community in Mexico has been at war with the cartels for several years now. Mormon resistance has generally been only defensive in nature, and aside from a few kidnappings and one instance of a double murder, the cartels have held back from waging full scale war against them. This latest incident is a major escalation.

Early in the video I wondered why the Mormons remain there given all they have to put up with. But the video shows an idyllic setting with a thriving agricultural center and a lot of infrastructure. It is not, as someone said earlier, an impoverished Mexican community. I can see why they'd be reluctant to leave especially given that most were born and raised there and have known no other home. But re-locating to Syria might soon start looking like a better option.

Can't imagine what Trump thinks he's going to do that hasn't already been tried before.

Mexican’s tried and were paid off.
Identify and destroy Just what the US did in Columbia. I prefer just target and destroy the Mexican ISIS using our technology loaned to Mexican Authorities located and controlled in the US.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Roberto you are part of the problem! You won’t face the facts that we live in a narco state and until the people of Mexico rise up more and more good people will be lost.

Nothing I have posted is a rant only TRUE FACTS THAT YOU DON’T SEEM TO WANT TO ACKNOWLEDGE. Talk to any teacher in RP and see if it’s a rant. Your a looser and an apologist for the Cartels.
Always aggravating when everyone has sand coming out of their ears.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Mexican’s tried and were paid off.
Identify and destroy Just what the US did in Columbia. I prefer just target and destroy the Mexican ISIS using our technology loaned to Mexican Authorities located and controlled in the US.
This comment shows your total ignorance of the relationship and history between the US and Mexico and the attitudes toward the US of Mexicans. "located and controlled in the US" .Your atitude is the stupid Mexicans need the help of the all knowing White People of del Norte. . HA HA HA The Chinese and Russians feel the same way about the US, and apparently so does your president. Hey there, clean your own house before worring about your neighbors. You should be taking Russina and Chinese languege lessons.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
WAKE UP!
LCU, you hit it in the head buddy. I'm racist. I'm also a policy maker so please keep blaming me. You're a moron. I'm pretty sure this is the GREAT HAPPY playing with the other kids in the sand box. What is your opinion or Obrador? He's basically telling them to do whatever they want.

Buffalo Marty

Well Known Member
The above is all in Spanish and kinda long but has a TON of detailed info on the LeBarons. Obviously need to sort out fact from fiction but there is a LOT of smoke in the accusations. Among other things that the Lebarons stole land and water from some ejidos, and that some of the Lebarons themselves were ALSO long-standing players in the narco game. Too much to sort through now, I hope we get as much of the truth as possible.