Too quiet !

Esperanza

Good Morning Everyone! It's just too "dog gone" quiet on here today, so I decided to post! Looking forward to getting back to RP.....been gone 2 weeks, but ready to go again.

Last time, we forgot the generator, so no AC for our place. Needless to say, it was not very much fun at night.....no breeze, high humidity..... argh... but the days were GREAT! Wonderful breeze during the daytime and swimming was wonderful once you got out a ways from the shore :)

Can hardly wait until the day we can be there full time:woo:

Last edited:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
That's what I was thinkin', it's too quiet here this morning. Has the heat gotten to all of you? LOL!

You "forgot" your generator? Bummer!

jerry

What type of generator? I was at the home show in Tucson a few months back at saw a great split system,,,with a small place I'd never put duct work in again,,,these things use the power of a 100 watt light bulb the guy told me.. http://www.acdirect.com/xcart/product.php?productid=3109
Good Morning Everyone! It's just too "dog gone" quiet on here today, so I decided to post! Looking forward to getting back to RP.....been gone 2 weeks, but ready to go again.

Last time, we forgot the generator, so no AC for our place. Needless to say, it was not very much fun at night.....no breeze, high humidity..... argh... but the days were GREAT! Wonderful breeze during the daytime and swimming was wonderful once you got out a ways from the shore :)

Can hardly wait until the day we can be there full time:woo:

Another Mini Split A/C option

The mini split systems are real efficient, SEER ratings from 13 to 24.
I saw some at Colonials Muebeles next to the bus station starting at $450.
They quoted me $700 for a 24,000 btu heat/cool unit. $50 more to install it.
I am having one installed in my Cholla house in October. Window A/C's are too noisey.

Esperanza

Thanks Jerry & Brokenwave, we're in our Travel Trailer out at Playa Lopez......until the day we build our casita de suenos! The trailer has a roof AC....but we're off grid. We've not used it yet, last year, it was always tolerable, or we planned our trips better...LOL.

Any way, Thanks Again!

mondone

Whitecaps
Forget these split systems if you are on or near the beach. I bought a beachfront home in Encanto last August with 4 Daewoo split systems that were installed 3 years earlier. I tried to run the 2 that were in the great room for the first time last week since I have electric now and they were DOA. The outdoor condensing coils for these units were completely disintegrating and unrepairable. Unfortunately, they had never been covered which maybe would have given me a little longer life. Fortunately the units in each bedroom were still working, but probably not for much longer.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I use 2 2 ton mini splits on my rather large home and the fact we can "zone" them to where we are the electric bill has been very low so far this year. albeit I can stand a bit more discomfort probably but we are energy conscience for sure. These units work great for us and we cover them in the winter inless we need to use them for heat which we didnt last winter.

I plan on having a HD cover made for the condensing unit outside, My neighbor (oceanfront home) did that and the unit on his roof is 5 years old and still looking good. He didn't do that for his 4 ton roof A/C and it looks
like it's going to collapse any time now.

Esperanza

I think it's too easy to forget what the sea/salt air does to our homes.... not to mention the intense sun. While our lot is close to the beach, Roberto, who showed us the Playa Lopez lots, made a really good point ~ homes right on the water require lots of annual maintenance due to the sea air.

Last edited:

azfish

What type of generator? I was at the home show in Tucson a few months back at saw a great split system,,,with a small place I'd never put duct work in again,,,these things use the power of a 100 watt light bulb the guy told me.. http://www.acdirect.com/xcart/product.php?productid=3109
That brand is over priced and over rated. I stopped putting them in and went with fujitsu units. The price and life of the unit is well worth it.http://www.fujitsugeneral.com/products.htm I can get them for about $600 or more less than the other brand.

jerry

Thanks fish...they seem high but 26 seer and the power issue is pretty great...I have a Chino unit that cost about 800 bucks but has a crummy SEER....put it in myself st my bunkhouse and it works but I'd hire someone if i bought a high dollar one.I friend told me they were cheaper for him to buy in Nogales than tucson..
That brand is over priced and over rated. I stopped putting them in and went with fujitsu units. The price and life of the unit is well worth it.http://www.fujitsugeneral.com/products.htm I can get them for about $600 or more less than the other brand.

azfish

Thanks fish...they seem high but 26 seer and the power issue is pretty great...I have a Chino unit that cost about 800 bucks but has a crummy SEER....put it in myself st my bunkhouse and it works but I'd hire someone if i bought a high dollar one.I friend told me they were cheaper for him to buy in Nogales than tucson..
Jerry did you know with Fujitsu you can have up to 4 indoor air handlers and one outdoor condenser.

R

reportjones

If you are concerned about the outside coils oxidizing and disentegrating, just spray oil on them. Dont use a thin oil like WD40. Use a aerosal can of spray oil sold at hardware stores. The coating of oil prevents the aluminum fins from the salty humid air. They will last forever.

mondone

Whitecaps
If you are concerned about the outside coils oxidizing and disentegrating, just spray oil on them. Dont use a thin oil like WD40. Use a aerosal can of spray oil sold at hardware stores. The coating of oil prevents the aluminum fins from the salty humid air. They will last forever.
Would this be good to use? Corrosion-Stop.jpg

Roberto

That would give some protection from corrosion but here in the dust bowl I would worry about the fine blowing sand sticking to the oil and blocking everything up. Large volume of air required to pump through those coils, effectively filtering out the sand on to the coils reducing the efficiency.

Flush frequently with fresh water, a good solution (Pun intended)

mondone

Whitecaps
That would give some protection from corrosion but here in the dust bowl I would worry about the fine blowing sand sticking to the oil and blocking everything up. Large volume of air required to pump through those coils, effectively filtering out the sand on to the coils reducing the efficiency.

Flush frequently with fresh water, a good solution (Pun intended)
That was my concern. I can't imagine anything that sand would not cling to other than something like WD40.

What about using spray furniture polish. I use in on all my door handles, locks and wrought iron. I dries and leaves a protective film.

Rick
Cholla Bay