totoaba vs. white sea bass?

gringorio

Can anyone who is knowledgeable on how to identify and differentiate between a totoaba and a white sea bass post a description and/or photos of the differences?

I recently saw a fish that was said to be a totoaba, but there was also some doubt. Thanks for any help!

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
They are extremely easy to tell apart when they first come out of the water (much easier than some folks seem to think)...

Totos are uniformly bronze in color, with some white under the chin. They have small black spots randomly along their sides, and their tail is convex (shaped like a ping pong paddle)

White seabass have a purple cast above their lateral line, and are white/silver below the lateral line and on the belly. Whites don't have spots on their sides, but sometimes (not always) they will have dark vertical bars along their backs. Whites also have a concave tail (shaped like a shuffleboard que)

A white seabasses' lower jaw typically extends out past its upper jaw- on Totoaba, the upper jaw usually sticks out further than the lower.

A Totoaba's primary dorsal fin is also typically much more pronounced than a White Seabasses'

On fish that have been dead for awhile, the tail shape, and the little black dots on a Toto's flanks, are the 2 easiest things to look for.

So, after reading the above, take a good look at the pics below, and you guys tell me... Which is which...?

And YES- One of these fish was released back to the water, alive, and allowed to swim away (probably to eventually get caught in some local's gillnet), while the other one was grilled with garlic butter and lemon pepper

Last edited:
Your banded White Sea Bass on the right also has a very distinct line of spiny scales running the full length of his belly. The spotted Toto on the left has a smooth belly.

Just read on Fox News that the Mexican Government has officially declared that all remaining Vaquitas will be rounded up and put in a pen this summer. This will most likely be the end of them as the shock of capture and containment will probably terminate the species. Then of course it will be open season on the Big T's and their thousand dollar swim bladders. Sadly the Sea Shepherd and her adoring cult will start looking for trouble somewhere else.

Nice fish Rob, did you get those this past weekend? I heard from the boys at the marina that a bunch of Yellowtail were nailed along La Cholla on Saturday.

JJ

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
The Whitey (and another one just like it) was caught 2 weeks ago, along with about 20 yellowtail (all 10-25 pounders), and a 20 poundish gulfie, out near the Tio rocks and Caballo.

Yeah, the yellowtail fishing has been good this year (and close in! My fuel bill loves it). That big push of cold blue water that came up in February brought tons of little anchovies up with it (and tons of yellowtail chasing after the anchovies)

The pic of the Toto is an older photo, taken last summer

jerry

They are extremely easy to tell apart when they first come out of the water (much easier than some folks seem to think)...

Totos are uniformly bronze in color, with some white under the chin. They have small black spots randomly along their sides, and their tail is convex (shaped like a ping pong paddle)

White seabass have a purple cast above their lateral line, and are white/silver below the lateral line and on the belly. Whites don't have spots on their sides, but sometimes (not always) they will have dark vertical bars along their backs. Whites also have a concave tail (shaped like a shuffleboard que)

A white seabasses' lower jaw typically extends out past its upper jaw- on Totoaba, the upper jaw usually sticks out further than the lower.

A Totoaba's primary dorsal fin is also typically much more pronounced than a White Seabasses'

On fish that have been dead for awhile, the tail shape, and the little black dots on a Toto's flanks, are the 2 easiest things to look for.

So, after reading the above, take a good look at the pics below, and you guys tell me... Which is which...?

And YES- One of these fish was released back to the water, alive, and allowed to swim away (probably to eventually get caught in some local's gillnet), while the other one was grilled with garlic butter and lemon pepper
We love to blame the Chinos and the gillnetters but our blocking the Colorado was the real reason fishing started declining..http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/03/ending-poaching-may-not-save-doomed-totoaba