U.S. Passport Card Application Available Online

La Huerita

Well Known Member
The U.S. Department of State has announced it is conducting a limited pilot program allowing U.S. citizens to apply online for a U.S. passport card. The pilot will last 90 days (January 24-April 22) or until they receive 20,000 applications, whichever comes first. At that time, they will assess the merits of making the pilot a permanent option for the traveling public.

I have details at Rocky Point Tides or you can go straight to the source at http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_5648.html for more information.

I'm inclined to think they'll get those 20,000 applications way before April 22. What do you think?

tequilatodd

Well Known Member
Great idea except if all you want/need is the passport card, this option won't work since they require you to have a valid 10 year passport book. A lot of us that want the card don't have the book. All we want to do is drive to RP. Maybe they will rethink the process. The wife and I got our cards almost 2 years ago and it wasn't too terrible except having to go down and fill out all the paper work. I suppose having the book is was makes it so easy to do it on line.

asprinkles

Well Known Member
I'm really confused as why people don"t get there Passport, as if you travel at all nowm, OR IN THE FUTURE, you will have it . Just a thought. I know people think ahead. :\Leigh

La Huerita

Well Known Member
I'm really confused as why people don"t get there Passport, as if you travel at all nowm, OR IN THE FUTURE, you will have it . Just a thought. I know people think ahead. :\Leigh
I'd guess at least part of it is cost. Especially for people who don't intend to ever go beyond Penasco, for instance, or spring breakers who want to go to places near the border to party but may not plan to travel elsewhere for the foreseeable future, it's cheaper to get a card than a passport book. Because it's small enough to fit in your wallet it's also more convenient, AND it serves as official ID for things like employment verification, getting into federal buildings, being stopped by police for things like driving while brown, and lots of other things that nowadays require proof of citizenship.

But I'm with you. Get a passport, because travel is addictive and who knows where you might want to go next! :)

asprinkles

Well Known Member
Yes , once you start traveling and you need that passport ,now you need to spend the money again. Just my 2 cents

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
It also let's you use the line at the border that's reserved for just the passport card. Last time thru, there was nobody going thru that booth, while there were 3-4 vehicles on the others.

AZ ROB

Well Known Member
Diffrent card Joe.. That lane is for the speed pass. Great idea but everyone in the car must have the speed pass card in order to go thru. Going from Tj to San Diego it save one person we know about 2.5 hours a day in border wait times.

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
Rob...I'm already in one pissin contest on here...but that lane at Lukeville IS for the Passport Card....that is what the customs people told me...when I went thru it once with my regular passport.... I even called the Tucson office to verify....

You sure you're not talking about the FAST Card.... http://usa.immigrationvisaforms.com/travel/fast-pass-faqs

Some more info... http://espanol.bajabound.com/before/permits/readylane.php

And even more.... http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/rfid/RFID_FAQ.html

Last edited:

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Rob...I'm already in one pissin contest on here...but that lane at Lukeville IS for the Passport Card....that is what the customs people told me...when I went thru it once with my regular passport.... I even called the Tucson office to verify....

You sure you're not talking about the FAST Card.... http://usa.immigrationvisaforms.com/travel/fast-pass-faqs

Some more info... http://espanol.bajabound.com/before/permits/readylane.php

And even more.... http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/rfid/RFID_FAQ.html
Yea, Im about to puke because Im agreeing with Joe but on Sunday coming home there were 3 lanes open with about 5 or 6 cars each. The 4th lane all the way to the right is the ready lane. I have a passport card and therefor am allowed to use the ready lane. I skipped everyone, used the ready lane which had not one car in it and was through the border in about 1 minute and 26 seconds. I was the only one in my vehicle but Im pretty sure to use the ready lane everyone has to have a passport card. Im agreeing with Joe on this one, only because I personally can attest to the fact that the ready lane is for people with passport cards.

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
Mexico Joe....don't worry...I won't hold it against you! (Maybe Jerry will.....:rofl:)....

It would be nice if there was a separate lane all the way to the border...or at least thru the gate! Some time back, the Mexicans used to allow 2 lanes thru the gate...now they usually have it blocked with one of their vehicles.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
a few weeks back I went thru the most right lane, as it still has the signs that says: For RV's and commercial vehicles, and the custom agent at the booth told me that the lane is for "pass card" and not passports, he did not really specified which of all the different ones, maybe it reads all the different ones from the different states, as long as they have the RFI chip which is what the reader is looking for, just asprinkles 2 cents!!

80 and 85

The lane at Lukeville is the "Ready Lane". Lukeville does not have a sentri lane. However, the sentri card is accepted as it has the chip. The cards you can use at the Ready Lane are the US Pass Port Card, Sentri cards, the new Legal Permanent Resident card, and the Border Crossing card. But everyone in the car that is 16 or older must have the cards. Passport books are not accepted.

Next time you go through just ask them for the information form about the Ready Lane. It shows what cards you can use.

Basically the card has to have the RFI chip.

RVs can use the lane too since there are more clearance.

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
We have Passport cards, and we once did not go through the "REady Lane", and got yelled at. They told us to use the card at that lane, so we always do now, and they barely ask questions, we zip through.

JayT

Submitted our passport card apps online (thanks to this thread) on Feb 3 and got them in the mail today! 45 day turnaround.

Lynnie

We received the passport cards in two weeks and our friends got theirs in less than two weeks. Went across the border today, there was no ready lane open, but the cards helped expedite the stop at the booth. I don't think they asked us any questions. Easy process, and I recommend everyone who travels frequently back and forth to get the passport card!

mondone

Whitecaps
We received the passport cards in two weeks and our friends got theirs in less than two weeks. Went across the border today, there was no ready lane open, but the cards helped expedite the stop at the booth. I don't think they asked us any questions. Easy process, and I recommend everyone who travels frequently back and forth to get the passport card!
Went through the border Sunday about 10AM. Several vehicle backup, but not too bad. When we got over on to the U.S. side we couldn't believe the usual ready lane on extreme right was not a ready lane but a regular lane with about 3 RV's waiting on it. I elected to pick a middle lane that opened up with just 2 cars in front of me. When we got to the booth, the agent handed us back our cards in record time and didn't ask a single question ( "like the usual where are you coming from/going to, anything to declare", etc). Just said "have a nice day". We couldn't believe it.:cruisin::woo:

azbeachbum

So what your saying is the passport card will speed things up at the border? What if you already have a passport....can you get a passport card too? Because we are ALWAYS stopped at the border and asked to pull aside and then they search our RV and then XRay it. The agriculture lady know us and laughs everytime she sees us! We NEVER bring back anything we are not supposed to because we know each and everytime we will be stopped! Its just another couple hours we factor in on the trip home.....never have problems in Mexico just coming back in to the states is the biggest headache of ours!

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
Yes you can get a passport card...actually the online application is only for those who have a current passport.

I don't know why it should speed up things at the border unless you use the special "Ready Lane" when it is not heavily used...and there, the agent doesn't have to scan your passport like they do now, since it was RFID scanned.....and if they've gotten rid of that lane...there goes the time savings. I went thru after President's Day weekend...and the lane was there...but closed...only one lane open and nobody in front of me....

mondone

Whitecaps
Although I was not in a "Ready lane", there was still a scanner that read my 2 cards before I reached the booth. Not sure if my info was already available to the agent by the time I handed him the cards, but I have to believe it was.