U.S. Postal Service Facility in Lukeville At Risk Of Closing Down Within Next Few Months

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Yeah this will pretty much be a bad thing for us and a lot of other people that use that location. If it closes then everyone will scramble to get their PO box in Ajo which is already pretty full, so the next town up the pipe is Gila Bend - making our mail 2 hours away each way. We will see maybe the PO is trying to put pressure on the land lord.......who else is going to rent that space?

Terry C

Well Known Member
No one else will rent that space. Half the place is empty now. The shuttle is gone and the store is gone. I don't know what Burrito Express Mail Service charges per month, but it would a big hike in fees even if they can find enough boxes in Ajo.
The new owners are crazy for raising the rent to the point that the USPS will close it down. The travel may be an option for them (USPS) to get out of it too!
Russ, approx how many boxes are at Lukeville?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
No one else will rent that space. Half the place is empty now. The shuttle is gone and the store is gone. I don't know what Burrito Express Mail Service charges per month, but it would a big hike in fees even if they can find enough boxes in Ajo.
The new owners are crazy for raising the rent to the point that the USPS will close it down. The travel may be an option for them (USPS) to get out of it too!
Russ, approx how many boxes are at Lukeville?
Thats a good question I want to know too so I will find out and let you know.

Miakko

Well Known Member
It's not great news about the landlord for that building. He's from Florida and is not even remotely motivated to rent space in the building (which is a major reason why it sits empty). I attempted to rent space in it and know of at least one other business owner that attempted to rent space there as well; impossible. Since the landlord owns Gastrak as well my guess would be that he's thinking he can get more cash $ from UPS and FedEx deliveries without the post office being there and doesn't have to be bothered with renting. At $10 a delivery for UPS and FedEx it adds up quick.

Terry C

Well Known Member
This one of a few responses I got back from the news letter I do for Playa Encanto;

Dear Ms. XXX
Lease renewal negotiations are on-going with the lessor, which include safe customer access to the post office boxes at the Lukeville Post Office. We will continue all postal operations during these negotiations.

Sincerely,

Dawn Lautenschlager

Consumer Affairs Arizona District

phoneguy67

There are places like mailboxes ect that are not part of the USPS that you can get mail delivered. Hopefully someone will open up a place like that. I would hope and think Burrito Express might look into something like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk