Vehicle Damage from Chipseal on Highway 85, Why to Lukeville!

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rob4092xx

Drove to RP last night and had considerable damage done to our vehicle due to the 10 miles of "Chipseal" construction on Highway 85 between Why and Lukeville.

Our damage is in the $1,000's of dollars to our practically new vehicle. We have been going down to RP about once per month for the past ten years. We have never encountered anything like this before!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Submarine

Good luck with that. Did you ever think of, oh I don't know, maybe just pulling over and waiting until the storm passed and the road crew got things back in order? Maybe calling the local sheriff to do some traffic control? Heck, the border is open til Midnight, might be a good time to just take a break in Ajo and wait til dark when traffic dies off considerably.

R

rob4092xx

Sub:

I thought of the exact same thing....pull over while the storm passed. Funny thing however, there is no where...I am mean no where whatsoever, to pull over when pulling a large trailer on Hwy 85 south of Why. Besides, it was the northbound traffic that was kicking most of the gravel up. With these vehicles travelling at 60+ mph in the opposite direction, those rocks were hitting us as they travelled about 100 mph. Not much can be done when this occurs! Call the Sheriff you say...that is a good one!

Spoke to about a dozen others today and they all had similar damage on their vehicles and they came down yesterday...no storm. One of them had three separate cracks in their windshield.

Its a mess folks so proceed with caution...storm or no storm. Or, be like sub and "just pull over," ha ha!

Good luck with that. Did you ever think of, oh I don't know, maybe just pulling over and waiting until the storm passed and the road crew got things back in order? Maybe calling the local sheriff to do some traffic control? Heck, the border is open til Midnight, might be a good time to just take a break in Ajo and wait til dark when traffic dies off considerably.

S

Submarine

Rob: Driving a Hummer is embarassing enough as it is, so don't think I have no sympathy.

You might try engaging the Four Wheel Drive next time you encounter a situation where you might need to pull off a paved surface with your Hummer. This is typically done, in real trucks, by locking hubs and shifting the transfer case into "4H" or "4L" from "2H". In your case it is probably accomplished by pushing a button. Consult your owners manual.

Doing so will engage the front drive axle of your Hummer, greatly increasing available traction. Most ATV's weigh in the 3-400lb range, so with your trailer it should not exceed 3000 lbs even if it is a heavy weight trailer. I realize that the bloated Tahoe's, I mean Hummer's, already strain to pull their own weight but it is definitely within their range of ability.

I've driven that road many times and there are several areas to pull over. There are also wash roads that parallel the highway. I realize this involves dirt and dust, but I'm sure you would agree that it is preferable to 'chip seal' rocks.

It seems likely that your insurance company may total your vehicle. Since I and the rest of Arizona's taxpayers will be paying for your ignorance, I would encourage you to buy the "Petticoat Option" on your next Hummer. Doing so will provide you with another button activated option that will deploy a long lace covering, a sort of carpet if you will, that will turn any road surface into an acceptable, tranversable surface, practically a Golden Brick Road.

sorry to just butt in.......do you have any other info regarding the chipseal post? We are leaving tomorrow (24th) just wanted to see if maybe the cleaned it up yet

Jim

Sub, Did you know that you can be a real Di..? Sarcastic to the end. Oh and BTW I don't remember Bob being around here for a long time. Aren't you finished picking on him yet. Now, don't go on the warpath with me - JMHO (or whatever those letters are).

Rob: Driving a Hummer is embarassing enough as it is, so don't think I have no sympathy.

You might try engaging the Four Wheel Drive next time you encounter a situation where you might need to pull off a paved surface with your Hummer. This is typically done, in real trucks, by locking hubs and shifting the transfer case into "4H" or "4L" from "2H". In your case it is probably accomplished by pushing a button. Consult your owners manual.

Doing so will engage the front drive axle of your Hummer, greatly increasing available traction. Most ATV's weigh in the 3-400lb range, so with your trailer it should not exceed 3000 lbs even if it is a heavy weight trailer. I realize that the bloated Tahoe's, I mean Hummer's, already strain to pull their own weight but it is definitely within their range of ability.

I've driven that road many times and there are several areas to pull over. There are also wash roads that parallel the highway. I realize this involves dirt and dust, but I'm sure you would agree that it is preferable to 'chip seal' rocks.

It seems likely that your insurance company may total your vehicle. Since I and the rest of Arizona's taxpayers will be paying for your ignorance, I would encourage you to buy the "Petticoat Option" on your next Hummer. Doing so will provide you with another button activated option that will deploy a long lace covering, a sort of carpet if you will, that will turn any road surface into an acceptable, tranversable surface, practically a Golden Brick Road.

OUCH Sub....now that was pretty cruel....maybe true (about Hummers, etc.)....but cruel nonetheless!! :twisted:

My recollection of that stretch of road is that there are many places to pull over....even a couple of what I would call rest areas....that is, unless you don't want to get your vehicle a little bit dusty....particularly since the chip sealing crew should have been closer to Why than to the border, since they were doing that portion on Monday. If the storm was bad enough for the construction crew to head for cover....maybe the OP should have also. Would have taken a half hour or hour longer to get to the destination...but then, the vehicle might not have any damage.

I feel for the Op and the damage he sustained....but sometimes we have to take responsibility for our own actions!

M

m4shawn

Sub - what Rob was driving is irrelevant - I can appreciate your irrtation with someone whining about the chrome hanldes on their Hummer, but really his point about the chip seal rocks flying around like buckshot is valid regardless of what he was driving - it does seem not only dangerous but recklessly negligent. You are ignoring the main point here.
Would you be less abusive had he been driving a hybrid?

S

Submarine

PIDGEON COOPERS LOVE HUMMERS~~~~~THEY MAKE GREAT ROOSTS WHEN STUCK IN THE SAND~~~~~~~~EVEN BETTER TARGETS WHEN THE PIDGEONS GOTTA LET LOOSE~~~~~~~~USUALLY SHINY AND YELLOW~~~~~~~THIS ONE NOT SO MUCH~~~~~~~HUMMERS ARE GREAT, EVERYONE SHOULD GET ONE~~~~~~BUT NOT FROM THE BLACK WIDOW~~~~~~JIM SAYS SHE BITES~~~~~~~SUBS A DICK FOR SURE~~~~~~BUT HE'D TOW THAT HUMMER OUT OF THE MUCK~~~~~~~CANT HELP WITH THE RESALE THOUGH, THAT HOLE'S TOO DEEP~~~~~~~~~VIVA LA WEETA~~~~~~~~GO ASK THE CHINA MAN~~~~~~~PEEING ON A ROCK

HERE FISHY FISHY

(Apologies to Happy)

R

rob4092xx

Hey Sub; the intent of my message was to get the word out to others so they may be able to avoid damaging their vehicle. Never imagined for a minute that I'd be attacked for the type of vehicle I drive or whether I should have pulled off. Again, I simply wanted to give everyone a "head's up" in case they were coming down...that's all!

To those of you who have e-mailed me privately, I will keep you apprised of anything I hear via e-mail.

Just be careful when you drive through this area.

PIDGEON COOPERS LOVE HUMMERS~~~~~THEY MAKE GREAT ROOSTS WHEN STUCK IN THE SAND~~~~~~~~EVEN BETTER TARGETS WHEN THE PIDGEONS GOTTA LET LOOSE~~~~~~~~USUALLY SHINY AND YELLOW~~~~~~~THIS ONE NOT SO MUCH~~~~~~~HUMMERS ARE GREAT, EVERYONE SHOULD GET ONE~~~~~~BUT NOT FROM THE BLACK WIDOW~~~~~~JIM SAYS SHE BITES~~~~~~~SUBS A DICK FOR SURE~~~~~~BUT HE'D TOW THAT HUMMER OUT OF THE MUCK~~~~~~~CANT HELP WITH THE RESALE THOUGH, THAT HOLE'S TOO DEEP~~~~~~~~~VIVA LA WEETA~~~~~~~~GO ASK THE CHINA MAN~~~~~~~PEEING ON A ROCK

HERE FISHY FISHY

(Apologies to Happy)

Kenny

more than a few of us

I'm sure that more than a few of us just might have thought:idea: of getting it OFF ROAD, before there was more than a inch of gravel in the trailer. I'm also pretty sure that more than just a few of us had similiar thoughts as Sub (I did) but without the whatever. You guy's knew exactly what I meant with "not with a 10 foot pole", didn't you:?:
Kenny

Hey Sub; the intent of my message was to get the word out to others so they may be able to avoid damaging their vehicle. Never imagined for a minute that I'd be attacked for the type of vehicle I drive or whether I should have pulled off. Again, I simply wanted to give everyone a "head's up" in case they were coming down...that's all!

To those of you who have e-mailed me privately, I will keep you apprised of anything I hear via e-mail.

Just be careful when you drive through this area.
Rob....for me, your initial post came across as a severe WHINE....rather then an informational post trying to help the Forum users out. The whole text of your message to your representative was completely unnecessary. That may have caused the responses you got! Most of us who have lived in AZ for any length of time have suffered from this idiocy of chip sealing.

It is also difficcult to believe that you got an inch of rock in your trailer just from passing cars. Maybe some of it was generated by your own tires kicking the chip seal up?????

jerry

Screw you guys,I'd be whining too if those Ajo ADOTdumbasses had cut and run leaving the general public (that they work for) to fend for themselves.I came back last Tuesday and they were doing one lane at a time but laying down way more chips than normal.It was totally half-assed and after I cut off and went to the park bathroom I then had the pleasure of cutting in front of the lead car headed North as I left the park.The chips were flying!There just aren't as many places to go offroad as you guys are claiming (remember it was a rain storm) Finally now that GM and Chrysler are worker owned (that's union worker sub) they will be my cars of choice from now on.Killing the Hummer is a good first step to ending the Saudi grip on our balls

Status
Not open for further replies.