Volunteering

beachgirl

Well Known Member
We will be going down next month for 12 days, and although I enjoy the peace and quiet and all, I may find myself going a little stir-crazy. Does anyone know of some place where I may be able to volunteer or help out in any way for a few hours?

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
The senior citizens would probably appreciate the company. Also the children's home or the DIF. In fact, you might want to find out if there are any Americans here in the prison. I found out last year that they appreciate someone to talk to, or a pack of cigarettes, a small gesture goes a long way...God bless you for wanting to help.

beachgirl

Well Known Member
I didn't know there was a prison in RP. I know there is a jail, but where is the prison? Not that I want to go there, voluntarily or otherwise (I can hear the hubby now-"you're volunteering your time where?..........THE HELL YOU ARE!"). I think I'd prefer the senior citizens or the children. One thing I didn't think about though, is that my spanish sucks. I get by, barely, but holding a conversation with someone is out of the question. But I would imagine that the company for the seniors would be welcome no matter what and the kids would probably enjoy some coloring books and crayons. Thanks for the inspiration Rosy. I'll check it out.

trade

We do a food distribution every month our June date is the 20th. Our web site is www.aimaz.org somewhat out of date but links w/ our new site. any questions please pm. Harold

Last edited:

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
They are allowed to receive cigs?
`
Last year an American was held for 3 months after an accident that left a young German airman dead. The family of the jailed man couldn't stay long, so I would take some stuff several times a week. Just in case, here are the rules:
  • food is okay whether cooked or raw (some of them have luxuries like hot plates and frying pans)
  • Sodas and water in plastic bottles only. No aluminum or glass.
  • Two packs of cigarettes at a time, You can leave more but the guards will hold them.
Visitors can expect to be searched. It's a prison, and not pleasant by any means, but there was no abuse and the staff seemed decent enough. It's a good idea to take enough food for a few extra guys so they can share with their roomies.

Every once in awhile some dumb American kid will get himself thrown in there, so I try to help out...keeps the moms from going berserk.

Rosie