We just love our beaches to death

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
J: You in the Cooks? I just returned. I thought muri was pretty good looking last month.

jerry

Well Known Member
J: You in the Cooks? I just returned. I thought muri was pretty good looking last month.
Yes...me too until I read this story....what a place! We are in Aitutaki at the Pacific hotel now....way better than Roratonga...

Last edited:

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
J:Have an absolute blast!! I am so very jealous. My goal is to return to the Cooks
this year, spend a few nights on Aitutaki and than maybe a night on Atiu on the way back to Avarua. If I had more time and money I would visit Puka Puka also.

jerry

Well Known Member
image.jpeg
Yes...me too until I read this story....what a place! We are in Aitutaki at the Pacific hotel now....way better than Roratonga...
J:Have an absolute blast!! I am so very jealous. My goal is to return to the Cooks
this year, spend a few nights on Aitutaki and than maybe a night on Atiu on the way back to Avarua. If I had more time and money I would visit Puka Puka also.
We went to one foot island today...great snorkeling...really wonderful people...what a place!
A guide is recommended to visit the southern end of the lagoon and the renowned flats of One Foot Island, Rapota and Moturakau as well as other likely spots. The guides have boats to whisk you down the lagoon and to pole you to fish if you want to do it that way. On a guided trip you might like to experience “Fishing the Milk”. This is great fishing where you hunt for murky, milky waters which indicate that bonefish and other species are digging for food. You can drift through and hold on tight, or you may like to cast sinking lines and heavy flies to the milky areas. This is almost a certainty if someone wants to catch their first bonefish.

When tackling up for Aitutaki you need to keep in mind that the bonefish here are some of the biggest in the world. Ten pound fish are caught every week and some will run up to 14 to 15lb. You need plenty of backing on reels. Flies can be the worldwide favourites and all colours will catch bonefish. The only outstanding fly colour is orange. Crazy Charlies, Gotchas and Christmas Island Specials all fish well. Make sure you have a few with heavy lead eyes. Most fishing can be done with a Tropical slow sinking line to beat the wind and sink the line quick, Fast lines like the Rio Bonefish floater can be handy for still days. Take spare lines as there are none available on location and a big bonefish will strip you sooner or later. # 9 weight rods and lines are recommended due to the wind that can blow there, but pack a seven weight as well for still days. Normal wading gear with solid soles, polarised sunglasses and a good hat are mandatory. Multi-piece rods are easiest to live with.

Last edited: