Weather This Weekend

Bob Oso

Well Known Member
Coming down for the holiday weekend, what's the weather been like, still hot, humid, or maybe cooling off a little.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Gotta love it...
94.7 °F
Feels Like 120.5 °F

One of the hottest trips I ever made to Penasco was about 3rd week of September. Absolutely brutal; even the water offshore was 93 degrees! We were catching fish that were already cooked!

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Gotta love it...
94.7 °F
Feels Like 120.5 °F

One of the hottest trips I ever made to Penasco was about 3rd week of September. Absolutely brutal; even the water offshore was 93 degrees! We were catching fish that were already cooked!
Last year, Sept 2, 2016 on Saturday, pretty brutal with 70-80 degree Dew points. Just like the past week
High Low - At Las Conchas
Temperature 92.6 °F- 81 °F
Dew Point 80 °F - 70 °F
Humidity 81% - 57%

My last Labor Day trip, 3 years ago, I was riding my jet ski with water splash that actually was warmer than the air. One word description - Brutal (as Stu said).
I'll pass until October, but then again, I now have two min- split A/C's that do the job. Hummm!

Bob Oso

Well Known Member
Aye' Curumba...Thinking I may be heading north instead of south this go around. Geeze, sideways might even be better. Same as me Stuart, did a B-day party one August years ago, stayed in a resort though. Think I'll check back in October sometime.

ernesto

Well Known Member
Last year, Sept 2, 2016 on Saturday, pretty brutal with 70-80 degree Dew points. Just like the past week
High Low - At Las Conchas
Temperature 92.6 °F- 81 °F
Dew Point 80 °F - 70 °F
Humidity 81% - 57%

My last Labor Day trip, 3 years ago, I was riding my jet ski with water splash that actually was warmer than the air. One word description - Brutal (as Stu said).
I'll pass until October, but then again, I now have two min- split A/C's that do the job. Hummm!
Where did you buy the minisplits and who installed them? Are you happy with quality and install? Grs!

ernesto

Well Known Member
Thank you for sharing! That's my source for accurate weather down there, the newspaper is not accurate.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Where did you buy the minisplits and who installed them? Are you happy with quality and install? Grs!
I bought Mirage 2 ton and a 1 ton heat and cool from Muebles Coloniales (on Constitiution 5 blocks east of Super Ley). Non heat units are $40-50 less.
The seller contracted with an installer who delivered and installed them for $40ish each. (700 pesos)

They did a OK to decent job,
I'm a hands on guy and am picky about workmanship so they got paid a tip when they were done.

Since I have the condensing units on my roof, I had to seal up the holes where the plumbing came through with some spray foam and elasto roof paint.
If they go through a wall or roof, you'll have to seal it up. But for $40 to install A/C, I can't complain (probably $800-1000 here in the states)
To have someone seal it up for you will be very reasonable. I also supplied the new 220v breakers.

2 ton cost $500ish and the 1 ton was under $300 using my no foreign fee CC to get a better exchange rate. They are 10.5 (2 ton) and 12 seer (1 ton).

The 2 ton was installed 5 years ago and still going strong, the 1 ton was installed in June. The units are well made, pretty quiet and cool nicely.

I had covers made for both units out of imitation leather for 600 pesos each, at a place across the street from Los Pinos on Constitution. (4 houses north of the Oxxo)
If you're near the water, covers are a Must or the outside units will rust away after 5-7 years.

Kelney

Well Known Member
As Adrian Cronauer would say, "It is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow with a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the North...."

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
As Adrian Cronauer would say, "It is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow with a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the North...."
and yet i am laying tile with Naomi in her new studio and all is good, we didn't even die or anything.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
You need to see their equipment to know if it will last
For prices that are 1/4 of a US installation, it's not a big deal, if you have to replace them in 7 years. If you cover them and clean the coils, probably 12 years. The price is almost the same today vs 5 years ago. Install was the same $40 as 5 years ago.

jerry

Well Known Member
They need the right tools or it sort of works....get the coil maintenance and mold kit at home Depot too.. Amazon has the kits and vac pumps and sells 27 plus seer 1.5 units for well under a grand...

Last edited:

MEXIMO

As long as there is a nice breeze, it's not too bad. Last night no breeze, so as soon as the sun set...Killer micro mosquitos! Holy crap, they were bad. All in all, got some shopping done, drank mucho cerveza frios, spilled a jack coke. 3 mirage mini splits in the house and 1 in the shop. Always reliable, love them. I asked an a/c contractor in az why they aren't popular in America. Efficient, only cool where you need to, cheap to operate. His response was they would put an industry in despair. 60000 a/c contractors in az...hmmmm I wonder. Anyway, it's hot yes, but it won't be long before covering up with a blanket, watching the sunset under the palapa slurping even colder cervezas.

jerry

Well Known Member
As long as there is a nice breeze, it's not too bad. Last night no breeze, so as soon as the sun set...Killer micro mosquitos! Holy crap, they were bad. All in all, got some shopping done, drank mucho cerveza frios, spilled a jack coke. 3 mirage mini splits in the house and 1 in the shop. Always reliable, love them. I asked an a/c contractor in az why they aren't popular in America. Efficient, only cool where you need to, cheap to operate. His response was they would put an industry in despair. 60000 a/c contractors in az...hmmmm I wonder. Anyway, it's hot yes, but it won't be long before covering up with a blanket, watching the sunset under the palapa slurping even colder cervezas.
https://www.revisionenergy.com/solar-power-for-your-home/solar-powered-heat-pumps/ good story on new unit setups that works with off grid solar....cheap heat too!

PintoPoint

Well Known Member
This is my station at our beachfront casa in Encanto. Click on "Forecast for Playa Encanto, SONORA", actually going down a few degrees over the weekend. I'm gonna head down for a couple days, what the hell.
Thanks for making that happen for me!