What I love about Rocky Point?

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
Happy New Year and Welcome to 2014!

I just wanted to start off the new year with a NEW TOPIC about "WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT ROCKY POINT?" Be Positive! No negativity please - I think we have all heard enough already so if you must be negative please post elsewhere.

For me - First and foremost when I am in Mexico all the worries North of the border disappear and just melt into rest and relaxation. Sleep in late - have morning coffee on the balcony while watching the dolphins play - take a walk the beach looking for treasures - take a nap - take another walk on the beach in the other direction - have a cocktail (or 2 - or 3) in the hot tub while watching the sunset. The beauty, the food, the shopping, the people - Good times!!:)

Last edited:
I love the relaxation of sitting on the balcony watching a killer sunset - happens every day here. Shopping at the Santa Fe and the Bodega across the street is fun - trying to figure out what normal stuff is, like sour cream or cheese, for example. Getting fresh, hot tortillas from a house in town. Butchering the language while attempting to communicate, and not being ridiculed for your poor efforts. Walking the beach and getting tanned in January.

Waking up and hearing how quiet it is only to be spoiled by the occasional ATV coming around.
Going to get warm fresh tortillas and then making a big breakfast for the family.
Cruising around to some of the beaches in my buggy, stopping to enjoy the view from the beach.
Feeding the seagulls with bread, amazing in 2 minutes you can have 50 of them floating above our house.
Going to one of our 10-12 favorite places to eat.
Watching the sunset with a cold Pacifico in hand.

The absence of gunfire in the distance ;).

Just knowing this type of day will be repeated again the next day with variations, because I am blessed to be this lucky
to enjoy Mexico this much and have many more trips coming over the next 20+ years. :)

Last edited:

GV Jack

Snorin God
Obviously, the beach and the Sea of Cortes, but what I love best is/are the people. Plain and simple, the people.

I have never had a bad day in Puerto Penasco, even the day I became best friends with the police department and the
judge. Never a bad day. Can't wait to return.

JimMcG

All of the above, along with the fact that Penasco/Mexico's rough edge has always been precisely what adds to it being the 'Cure for civilization', as Club Med used to claim. We have been visiting, touring and generally doing business in Mexico longer than many of the naysayer 'experts' on this forum have been alive and I can attest that although Mexico has a long history of shooting itself in the foot, it always rebounds in even better shape. A one hour drive below the US border is all it takes to enjoy bargain vacations on beautifull beaches and spicy entertainment or mere relaxation with fresh seafare and libations. I always enjoy the very best of both US and Mexico worlds very close by and although I eventually enjoy returning to the US, I am already making plans to return to Penasco. I really love Mexico and its people.

jerry

Same here Jim....but lets not kid ourselves the future is tricky and pretending all is well is a mistake.The attempted coverup of the shooting details will slowly come out much like the big lie about the Yarnell Fire screwup was revealed. People that argue bad stuff happens on both sides of the border do have a point.The Puerto Penasco series of rolling gun battles and the huge bust in Wilcox of the Sinaloa Cartels Kruz gang both occurred after competing groups narced them out and the local police were put in the penalty box.In the case of Cochise County the Sheriffs Dept. was kept out of the loop and basically quarantined until the raid went down.The Puerto Penasco police spent some time at the baseball stadium for some reason the day of the crazy attack....

Reactions: ron
I moved to RP because I love the ocean, the friendly people, the fishing, the boating, the food. I like meeting people from all over the world who vacation in RP. ( I met people from Europe 2 weeks ago here vacationing in RP ) I like that its a small town & you can be most anywhere in a 5 minute drive. I like taking the boat out fishing & dolphin / whale watching or taking the dune buggy to explore the dunes, estuary or remote beaches.

And I enjoy that RP is geographically in the perfect location at the top of the Sea Of Cortez only a 1 hour drive from the US with no large cities near by making it the perfect destination to easily drive to etc......Just another day in paradise in RP..

Same here Jim....but lets not kid ourselves the future is tricky and pretending all is well is a mistake.The attempted coverup of the shooting details will slowly come out much like the big lie about the Yarnell Fire screwup was revealed. People that argue bad stuff happens on both sides of the border do have a point.The Puerto Penasco series of rolling gun battles and the huge bust in Wilcox of the Sinaloa Cartels Kruz gang both occurred after competing groups narced them out and the local police were put in the penalty box.In the case of Cochise County the Sheriffs Dept. was kept out of the loop and basically quarantined until the raid went down.The Puerto Penasco police spent some time at the baseball stadium for some reason the day of the crazy attack....
Your post is a bit off topic....but interesting. I pretty much don't watch the news, so I didn't even know about the Wilcox incident.
It's kind of ironic. The date of posting was on Dec 17th, the day before all the action in PP. Have to wonder if they were somehow linked.

Now lets get back the fun stuff ;)

Eric

This thread is WHAT I LOVE ABOUT ROCKY POINT Stay on topic guys....If you want to discuss something else go to the rant and rave thread etc & bash & argue and scare all you want....

What I love most about RP is what most have already mentioned AND where else only a one hour drive away from the US can you own a gorgeous beach front property for a fraction of what the same property costs in California or Florida etc. And in RP you are truly beachfront & you can walk your dog on the beach & pull your jet ski / boat right up on the beach etc......I love Mexico and RP !!

joester

2 salty dawgs
the good people - really good people we have met, and continue to meet each trip.
the beach along the Mirador - simply beautiful.
cold cervesas, fine tequila, shrimp and fish.
getting to explore each time we go down, and seeing something we haven't seen before - learning stuff and making memories.
finally - looking forward to being there much more in the future.

jerry

This thread is WHAT I LOVE ABOUT ROCKY POINT Stay on topic guys....If you want to discuss something else go to the rant and rave thread etc & bash & argue and scare all you want....

What I love most about RP is what most have already mentioned AND where else only a one hour drive away from the US can you own a gorgeous beach front property for a fraction of what the same property costs in California or Florida etc. And in RP you are truly beachfront & you can walk your dog on the beach & pull your jet ski / boat right up on the beach etc......I love Mexico and RP !!
Eric if you sell real estate I am going to be really disappointed in you.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
NO - NO - NO! Positive comments only. You want to talk about this - MORE - talk about it on another post or create your own.
Damn - and I thought I was very clear about the "TOPIC"!!!!!!!!

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
Your post is a bit off topic....but interesting. I pretty much don't watch the news, so I didn't even know about the Wilcox incident.
It's kind of ironic. The date of posting was on Dec 17th, the day before all the action in PP. Have to wonder if they were somehow linked.

Now lets get back the fun stuff ;)
Agreed - Some people either fail to or uncapable of staying on TOPIC!
I thought I was clear - Positive comments only - Damn it all.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you.
Good lord - could I have been any more specific about the TOPIC!
Some people . . . .

jerry

I really like some of the places to eat,a few of the vets and the dentists are good,the Red Cross comes in handy,Sams is a interesting big box but I do like to see it in my rear view mirror when I head to Mexico.

Reactions: ron