What to Catch in Feb and March

dons2346

I'll be there from mid Feb to mid March and want to catch something besides trigger fish. What is available and what boat would be a good charter?

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Hey dons2346
I also fish in mid February and mid March. I am down about every other weekend for a couple of days but this time it may be less as I have an ailment in my buttox. I will be down for the Valentines weekend thing. All are welcome. Check the site for information. We do a feed on VD, a kayak trip the next day and a fish fry at my place the next day if we get fish on the kayak.​

Roberto

Well Known Member
Winter time is awesome time for fishing.... :gofishing:

Halibuts (flounder) Spotted Bay Bass, etc from shore, and big halibuts, white seabass, pargo (snappers) and Pintos offshore (and even yellowtail if you can manage a run of about 50 miles)
Ok, I'm goin fishin just for the Halibut ! Will pickles work for bait?

Kenny

Well Known Member
Sure pickles work great, but the home made ones, fresh if you will, work the best by far. The "crispy" ones work best for Halibit, so be sure to label those separately.
Pickles
Using the "Quick process" method and a store-bought mixMaking and canning your own pickles, gherkins, kosher dills, bread and butter, sweet pickles, etc. is one of the easiest things you can do with produce! Here's how to do it, in easy steps and completely illustrated. It is much faster than the old method your grandmother used with tons of pickling salt and de-scumming the brine! Ugh! This method is so easy, ANYONE can do this! It's a great thing to do with your kids! I'm experimenting with the various techniques, such as soaking the cucumbers overnight in lime solution first, using "pickle crisp" etc. I'' revise this page as I taste the results in the weeks to come!
Note: this is the easiest way to make pickles. If you want to put a little more effort into it, you can have pickles that are more crisp and crunchy than this method provides. See this page for crispy low temperature processed pickles!
I've added free labels for your jars here, in a Word format! Just download, edit, and print in label paper.

GV Jack

Snorin God
DAWGONE YOU KENNY....

You've taken me back to my mom's kitchen and those wonderfull Bread and Butters she made.
After she left us, I used to make them the old fashioned way. Got to be too much work so I
decided to do them MANANA. Oh how I'd love a jar right now. I could eat the whole thing in one sitting.

Dawg gone you.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Speaking of pickles for bait, Roberto. I took Fabi to the movies Tuesday afternoon at the Arizona Center, in downtown Phoenix. Before the movie started, I mentioned to her, that i was going to the restroom. I walked in, there was some jackass in a stall tapping on the wall and breathing hard, then the door flew open and he was Jerkin his Gherkin. I took off and headed for the manager to report it, then thought about it and stopped and went and watched the movie. i built a house for a phoenix cop, in the early 2000's that was in vice, his job while i was building, was to be a bait boy in the city park bathrooms,( now i know why the City had him do it) even at my age it still scared the hell out of me and when i thought about it, it could have been a young kid that walked in.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Speaking of pickles for bait, Roberto. I took Fabi to the movies Tuesday afternoon at the Arizona Center, in downtown Phoenix. Before the movie started, I mentioned to her, that i was going to the restroom. I walked in, there was some jackass in a stall tapping on the wall and breathing hard, then the door flew open and he was Jerkin his Gherkin. I took off and headed for the manager to report it, then thought about it and stopped and went and watched the movie. i built a house for a phoenix cop, in the early 2000's that was in vice, his job while i was building, was to be a bait boy in the city park bathrooms,( now i know why the City had him do it) even at my age it still scared the hell out of me and when i thought about it, it could have been a young kid that walked in.
Since this thread was over before it started let me add to that. I used to mountain bike 3 or 4 days a week a couple of years ago and Dreamy Draw has a real problem with men doing inappropriate things to themselves and each other inside one of the horse tunnels. I used to watch men wearing jeans and nice leather shoes sometimes even dress clothes park, looking really suspicious walk into the desert. These guys are not going hiking. I thought it was drug dealing until I had a lengthy conversation with a city of Phoenix park ranger. Apparently some of these guys are broke back mountain types and have beat up people that have ridden up on them. Ranger told me not to ride through that tunnel ever, and never did again. I haven't been over there in two years now but I would suspect the same weirdos are getting service in the tunnel at Dreamy Draw park!

azfish

Well Known Member
Since this thread was over before it started let me add to that. I used to mountain bike 3 or 4 days a week a couple of years ago and Dreamy Draw has a real problem with men doing inappropriate things to themselves and each other inside one of the horse tunnels. I used to watch men wearing jeans and nice leather shoes sometimes even dress clothes park, looking really suspicious walk into the desert. These guys are not going hiking. I thought it was drug dealing until I had a lengthy conversation with a city of Phoenix park ranger. Apparently some of these guys are broke back mountain types and have beat up people that have ridden up on them. Ranger told me not to ride through that tunnel ever, and never did again. I haven't been over there in two years now but I would suspect the same weirdos are getting service in the tunnel at Dreamy Draw park!

Ill be canoeing around that area in March, what type of bait are the fish biting on? Pickles working well?

ericksonpa

Can anyone recommend a good fishing charter? I fish from the shore while in PP, but have relatives coming into PP over Christmas and they would like to take their boys (15,19,21) out fishing. I would like to send them to a reputable and fun charter service. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

jerry

Well Known Member
Yellow tail at Lobos....The guy with the Panga with a hole in it is a real bargain until you buy him gas and beer
I'll be there from mid Feb to mid March and want to catch something besides trigger fish. What is available and what boat would be a good charter?