What's going on in Penasco, some bits and pieces. ( a little long)

Roberto

Well Known Member
I just heard that the Reef restaurant has closed. The owner was visiting other restaurants in an attempt to sell the food he had on hand at closing.

There is continuing construction activity at:
Tessoro,
Whale Hill condo development (the one up the hill);
The big site next to the harbor is in full construction activity with rebar and concrete coming out of the ground. Rumored to be a hotel, shops and movie theatre.
The resort out on Sandy Beach (name eludes me at the moment, but it's the international Hotel chain) has rebar and concrete coming out of the ground. This is where the Cruise line is supposedly going to dock.

All of the other Las Conchas condo developments seem to have shut down. No construction or sales activity obvious. Rumored sale of one of the projects fell through recently.

Virtually all of Majestic Realty's projects are stalled or shut down. No activity at the Harbor Condos or Las Bougambillas in the Mirador. Nothing at the old MOAB burger joint in the Malecon and the adjoining hotel seems to have no activity either. Las Fuentes is still open but very slow.

Coyote Ugly location has been refurbished but no indication as to what is happening there.

La Habana has a rumored sale and closing, perhaps next week, for total remodel.

Kenny and I fished La Pinta over the 4th. The little rock bass were hitting a funky double whammy rig I set up until the pretty pink skirt fell off one of the lures. Kenny's companion struck something big and gave her some fun but got away. Kenny was his usual fishin machine, absent the fish scarin outfit, thank the good Buddha:shock:. Kenny owes a report on his activities as I left when the wind kicked up and I suspect he also fished elsewhere.

Pino Noriega, from Penasco's first family of Jazz and formerly of the Crow's Nest on Whale Hill, has opened a joint in the Vin Del Mar complex at the end of the Malecon. Live jazz and jam sessions regularly on weekend evenings.

Las Corrales still reports they will go to completion but I'd be wary of purchasing. Some friends have been asking for a refund because the developers did not meet the contract terms. No reply !! Sales office is closed and there is no activity at the site.

Real estate sales continue at a low level, especially compared to 2 years ago. Prices are falling in all categories. Sandy Beach condos are plentiful with dropping prices. How about a las Conchas ocean view 4 bedroom beach house with fabulous views, was $595,000 now $199,999, OBO with owner financing? Las Conchas Ocean View lots $60,000 (was $150,000) Beachfront at Black Mt $45,000 (was $120,000). Las Gaviotas Penthouse Condo $250,000 (was $450,000). Or you can get a free ocean view lot if you buy my Mirador Hacienda compound for $375K (ask Kenny how nice this is !!). Contact www.Twindolphinsrealty.com on those.

Candy Cake (a local bakery) opened a very nice little shop right next to Mary's Cocteleria in the Malecon. Pastries, coffee beverages, smoothies, empanadas and entire cakes are available (sorry Tyler, no pie). There is a second level deck for relaxing. Very nicely done place and nice people too.

Summer is in full swing and we have many Mexican visitors. The harbor cruises seem to run much more lately, even during the week and the banana boats and jet skis are active. Sandy Beach near Pinacate is crowded on the weekends.

Evenings on the Malecon are very relaxing, and entertaining, especially Weekends. Almost exclusively Mexican families out for a stroll and to enjoy the sea breezes. The young folk hang out down by Vin del Mar and the families on the huge plaza and nearby. Usually bands playing. I don't see tourists here and I'm not sure why. (maybe because there is not a lot of boozing !) It's a nice evening. Stop at the Candy Cake and get a smoothie and stroll down the Malecon, watch the sun set over La Cholla and the fireworks from the harbor cruisers. Enjoy a bit of Mexico.

Last edited:

Kenny

Well Known Member
R rated stuff

Evenings on the Malecon are very relaxing, and entertaining, especially Weekends. Almost exclusively Mexican families out for a stroll and to enjoy the sea breezes. The young folk hang out down by Vin del Mar and the families on the huge plaza and nearby. Usually bands playing. I don't see tourists here and I'm not sure why. (maybe because there is not a lot of boozing !) It's a nice evening. Stop at the Candy Cake and get a smoothie and stroll down the Malecon, watch the sun set over La Cholla and the fireworks from the harbor cruisers. Enjoy a bit of Mexico.
I've always do exactly what Roberto describes when I stay in town, along with some hello's to my friends at the fish market and a walk down to the old dock area where the locals, and sometimes myself, fish.
Nice report, but you left the R rated stuff out...Good job.

Roberto

Well Known Member
"Nice report, but you left the R rated stuff out...Good job."

Did you want me to report on YOUR activities while you were here last, is that it??? Sheesh, talk about R rated. Where's the fishing report ???

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
I just heard that the Reef restaurant has closed. The owner was visiting other restaurants in an attempt to sell the food he had on hand at closing.

I thought the Reef Restaurant was owned by the Brown family????

Coyote Ugly location has been refurbished but no indication as to what is happening there.

Heard that the people that had Around d'Corner (across the street)were trying to take over the old Coyote Ugly...but ran into some liquor license problems. Don't know what remodeling they had done other than the paint job outside!!

I don't see tourists here and I'm not sure why. (maybe because there is not a lot of boozing !)
Didn't see many tourists in town anywhere over the 4th!

Roberto

Well Known Member
I thought the Reef Restaurant was owned by the Brown family????

Maybe the building, but it was the owner (operator) of the restaurant I guess I was referring to.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Definitely! Most of the business in the Malecon is done with the trikes and guys with wheel barrows loaded with candy and the ice chest on wheels. Probably won't go well at Las Conchas though.

La Huerita

Well Known Member
Roberto, that construction by the harbor, the national chain, could it be Holiday Inn you were thinking of? I keep hearing that one was supposed to be going in somewhere in PP but never could get any specifics about it.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Roberto, that construction by the harbor, the national chain, could it be Holiday Inn you were thinking of? I keep hearing that one was supposed to be going in somewhere in PP but never could get any specifics about it.
I can't recall ever hearing the name of the hotel supposedly going in by the harbor. It is the only hotel construction of which I am aware, other than the Marriot on Sandy Beach. (The one I could not remember:oops:)

migallon

The construction in the harbor is being built by a group out of Mexico City .They say that there will be 6 movie theaters, 28 locations for stores which most have already been commited to ,7 office units and parking for 401 cars.1st phase is to be completed by October 2010. Phase 2 Will have a 40 room hotel and overall space is supposed to be close to 500,000 sq. feet. They also have their own funds. It is very visible from the patio at the Latitude. Its a very impresive project to see.

Roberto

Well Known Member
The construction in the harbor is being built by a group out of Mexico City .They say that there will be 6 movie theaters, 28 locations for stores which most have already been commited to ,7 office units and parking for 401 cars.1st phase is to be completed by October 2010. Phase 2 Will have a 40 room hotel and overall space is supposed to be close to 500,000 sq. feet. They also have their own funds. It is very visible from the patio at the Latitude. Its a very impresive project to see.
Thanks for the info. Hard to believe they will actually have that much parking !! what with they way things are down here:grin::grin:

La Huerita

Well Known Member
Oh yeah, I remember that now. Thanks migallon. I think it's called Puerto Mío, designed by the Metropoli Architecture Group in Mexico City. I'll have to do some research on that (I actually like doing research-- there's probably something wrong with me. Aside from the obvious, that is, LOL)

It's cool that they are self-funded and that they are apparently looking at the long term picture since they're going ahead with it.

M

mexmac

Didn't see many tourists in town anywhere over the 4th!
The restaurant is owned by the Browns and will be reopened sometime in October.

The restaurant was being operated as part of the Grupo SBR company and was closed by the company but leased back to the manager. Same name, same food, same service. When the tourist trade slowed to a point where he couldn't operate any longer, he closed the restaurant and sold off the food inventory that was his. The restaurant is still in the family and will be reopened. The bar next door has been made over is is a very nice beach club / dance club and doing well.