whats the top shore bait

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Here is one of my favorite cold weather shore techniques:

Step 1: take a 1/4 - 3/8 ounce white or chartreuse jig (like a maribou crappie jig, horse hair, curly tail, etc)

Step 2: Tip it with a 2 inch strip of squid or peeled shrimp tail meat (peel a 16-20 size shrimp tail and cut in half lengthwise)

if fishing over rock, then cast, sink to bottom, and then vary the retrieve- jig it slowly, or drop to bottom, sit for 5 seconds, then rip it 5 or 6 cranks, then drop back to bottom, sit for 5-6 seconds.... repeat

or if fishing over sand, try sloooowly dragging the bottom on the retrieve.

Step 3: Take your flounder home and grill or broil it while basting with melted butter and fresh crushed garlic. sprinkle with lemon juice

azfish

Here is one of my favorite cold weather shore techniques:

Step 1: take a 1/4 - 3/8 ounce white or chartreuse jig (like a maribou crappie jig, horse hair, curly tail, etc)

Step 2: Tip it with a 2 inch strip of squid or peeled shrimp tail meat (peel a 16-20 size shrimp tail and cut in half lengthwise)

if fishing over rock, then cast, sink to bottom, and then vary the retrieve- jig it slowly, or drop to bottom, sit for 5 seconds, then rip it 5 or 6 cranks, then drop back to bottom, sit for 5-6 seconds.... repeat

or if fishing over sand, try sloooowly dragging the bottom on the retrieve.

Step 3: Take your flounder home and grill or broil it while basting with melted butter and fresh crushed garlic. sprinkle with lemon juice
I hope I get to step 3.

joester

2 salty dawgs
not exactly a top-water technique, but sounds like it works. I'm thinking a trip to Ranch market is in order, see if they have any flounder....

audsley

Mr. Moore,

I'll give your bait a try next time I'm down there shore fishing, but somehow I have the feeling I'm gonna get worn out taking 10-inch sand bass off my hook. In my limited experience I found that sticking with silver kastmasters and the like is the only way those sand bass will give me any peace. Of course, the flounder seem to leave me alone too.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
not exactly a top-water technique, but sounds like it works. I'm thinking a trip to Ranch market is in order, see if they have any flounder....
lololol He wasnt asking for a top water bait, hes saying what's the top (choice) bait right now. lolololol

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Mr. Moore,

I'll give your bait a try next time I'm down there shore fishing, but somehow I have the feeling I'm gonna get worn out taking 10-inch sand bass off my hook. In my limited experience I found that sticking with silver kastmasters and the like is the only way those sand bass will give me any peace. Of course, the flounder seem to leave me alone too.
Using a cast and retrieve technique will not yield any flounder. Kastmasters are for action strikes and surface action. Flounder are not surface fish.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Mr. Moore,

Hahaha yeah- I'd be lying if I declared I had some magic top secret technique for catching any species except spotted bay bass...

Usually flounder are found over sandy bottoms, or right on the border where sand and rocky bottoms meet.

I've had 1/2 ounce rock bass hit a one-ounce Kastmaster... which leads to another great point: if you do happen to hook a really small rock bass, then stick him through the shoulder right in front of the dorsal fin with a 2/0 live bait hook and a 1/2 ounce sinker and send him back out.... flounder and large Corvina will both eat a small rock bass who looks to be in distress; and who knows... you might even get lucky enough to hang into a roaming Pinto bass, Pargo, or leopard grouper.

joester

2 salty dawgs
you're right - too fast a read and too slow to understand....
enjoying some smoked salmon right now watchin football!

rplarry

Using a cast and retrieve technique will not yield any flounder. Kastmasters are for action strikes and surface action. Flounder are not surface fish.
Respectfully, I completely disagree with the Kastmaster comment. I have caught at least 30-40 flounder from shore over the years in Las Conchas and/or the estuary primarily using Kastmasters. Probably have caught another dozen or so flounder on Crocodiles.

I would agree that flounder are not a surface fish but if you are fishing in shallow enough water, as it usually is off shore, they will come up off the bottom to hit what appears to be "dinner" .

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Respectfully, I completely disagree with the Kastmaster comment. I have caught at least 30-40 flounder from shore over the years in Las Conchas and/or the estuary primarily using Kastmasters. Probably have caught another dozen or so flounder on Crocodiles.

I would agree that flounder are not a surface fish but if you are fishing in shallow enough water, as it usually is off shore, they will come up off the bottom to hit what appears to be "dinner" .

Yea I understand that but Im not the guy out there dragging kastmasters through the sand. They get hung up on everything and if Im going to be fishing for Flounder Im going with a bottom rig. My friends dad loves the kastmaters worked slow as hell lower in the water table and off the bottom or dragging the bottom. Apparently it works for him but Ive lost $100 worth of kastmasters trying that technique. But yes you are right and I should be taking advice from you then with all those flounder!!!!! You're semi-pro?

AZ ROB

Sabiki Rig to catch bait fish,,, Then to the Big hook and lots of weight,, Drop over the side of the boat and drink Beer and Smoke good a good Cigar. Problem seems to be the beer gets warm and the Cigar keeps going out due to negligence while catching fish.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
From shore, not sure why, but the gills of any fish you catch drives them crazy and they stay on the hook for several catches, the fish cant rip them off the hook, like they can other baits. You can catch fish with anything if they are biting, we caught lots of big sierra around the Konsag Rock, the small island between Rocky Point and San Felipe on cut up pieces of chrome car antennas, pulled out of my brother in laws sack of junk. He cut them up at home (San Felipe) flattened them out and rigged a hook to them.