WiFi Question

Roberto

I haveWiFi at my home in Penasco and am interested in expanding the signal so it will reach my rental apartments. I have the equipment provided by TelMex. Is there a more powerful device that will extent the coverage of the signal? Any help appreciated.:mrgreen:

I wouldn't waste your time playing that youtube video...it most likely won't do what you're looking for. Research an "n wifi router" and also look for "wifi repeaters". It all depends on how far you are from your house to the rental units. With an n wifi router, I've seen numbers as high as 1000 feet for the distance you can get the signal....it all depends on what's in between the 2...

Roberto...to get the benefit of n routers, you need an n receiver (usb/internal/etc)....you won't see the range improvement with a g receiver.

With a repeater, if you can place it halfway betrween the two locations, you'll get range improvement....but that means the availability of power where the repeater is located, and you are the only one with access to it.

Roberto
Talk to the guys in Plya De Oro. They have a system that almost covers the park. They have also had some problems and may be able to stear you in the correct direction.

Roberto

Thanks Bill. I wired it into the antennae on my foil helmet and it fixed it right up. I now connect direct to the net without a computer.

Roberto
Talk to the guys in Plya De Oro. They have a system that almost covers the park. They have also had some problems and may be able to stear you in the correct direction.
Yeah...Playa d'Oro does cover the park including the North 40, but their system can be real flakey....with signal strength/speed fluctuating all over the place. I have a friend with a trailer in the north 40, and have trouble with Magic Jack working reliably over there, and she is located about 4 spaces from the Mirador street (name???).

I know there system is a little flakey but in general I have found it to work pretty good. The last time we were there they were having problems with a new system they had installed. You mention Magic Jack I could not make it work on my computer in Casa Grande. I took the first one back and exchanged it with the same results. It cut on and off to a point it was unusable.

Bill....I've used 2 different MagicJacks....and if you don't have a decent strength on your signal, it does not work well....you get a delay or echoing...or the other party can't hear you....it's all about the signal strength (and obviously the speed....dialup modem won't work).

Roberto

You mention Magic Jack I could not make it work on my computer in Casa Grande. I took the first one back and exchanged it with the same results. It cut on and off to a point it was unusable.

I have that problem when something else is sucking bandwidth. When Ana would be on downloading music or watching a video online it wuld cut in and out. If you try it again close all programs and even exit the internet, I bet it will work fine then.

I have that problem when something else is sucking bandwidth. When Ana would be on downloading music or watching a video online it wuld cut in and out. If you try it again close all programs and even exit the internet, I bet it will work fine then.
Forgot to mention that in my previous post. I sometimes open up a news site that continually updates....MagicJack sucks when that window is open.....just close Internet Explorer (or whatever web browser you use) when you need to use Magic Jack.

MagicJack sends you a wav file of any voicemails that come in....