Al Capone's

Per recommendations of many, went to Capone's with my wife and her family Sat night for the fight.

QUICK COMMENTS:
-directions: just take Benito Juarez toward the Malecon, make a left on Fremont, goes down maybe a mile or so, make a right on Sinaloa, and it will be down a few blocks on the right side
-I called the night before and was strongly recommended to be there at 6:30-6:45 to guarantee seating for the fight. This was right on, as we got there at about 6:50 and grabbed the 2nd to last table upstairs. This was obviously a hugely promoted fight, so I assume it is a rare occurrence, but based on my experience I would recommend getting there early if its a big sporting event.

PROS: 1) TONS of TVs everywhere, and a HUGE (probably 120") bigscreen upstairs 2) pretty good service, which I judge on a curve because it was absolutely MOBBED; yeah, there were a couple times when my beer wasn't re-filled as quickly as I wanted, but overall very solid all considered 3) food was solid: PIZZA was thin crust but soft (which I actually like, I know others prefer thin and crispy; I imagine you could special order it that way if you wanted), wings were solid if not spectacular, and the Rocky Rolls were good as well.
CONS: 1) Biggest con was lack of AC and shortage of fans in the upstairs area; it was H-O-T; downstairs they did have AC (although not blasting), but upstairs it was pretty rough- we were ordering pitchers of water non-stop and sweating heavily; I know this is probably a rare occurrence as well, since if it wasn't as packed, or if it was in a milder month, it wouldn't be a big deal; but it should be noted; some powerful ceiling fans upstairs would be a great help.

Overall, we had a blast and the atmosphere was great. I would definitely go back to watch a game or just have dinner and try more of the menu.

bluepenguin

In Town Gringo
Wife and I went once to see what all the hype was about. We'll never go back to that high priced tourist trap
Warm Beer, rancid hamburger meat, mold on the fries. I've had better margaritas out of a can.
Better pizza at Condor in town.
Watched the fight at Bryans much better.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Wow...My experience has been just the opposite.

I like their beer, Pizza and many like their fish dishes.
I have more fun with the servers there than any place in town.

As far as going someplace to watch a fight, I don't need to because I get all the violence I need at home.

Your not going there just leaves a spot for me. By the by, I do like Bryan's, also.

TICO-T

I have been to Capone's about 100 times. I have never had a warm beer and their happy hour price is $2.25 for a bottle. I never ordered a hamburger in Rocky Point because I love seafood. Their pizza is also very good. Next time try McDonald's for a burger

playaperro

El Pirata
Happy hour prices do help a bar, most die hards are in bed by 9 these days, how long is happy hour there and are the appetizers half price? I remember when playa Bonita ruled with they're happy hour, dollar beers and margs. Man that was before the tourist price came along.

Rhino

Capone's is the best! Aside from the fact that most people there are great, Dave is a superb Penasco supporter willing and eager to help folks regarding bar/restaurant issues or otherwise. Can't ask for a better spot to eat or drink; others may approach or equal but not excel the total Capone's experience!! Rock on you guys!!! Viva Penasco!!!!

We try to hit Capones for lunch at least once whenever we are in Rocky Point - no beach view, but the atmosphere, staff and food make up for that. Love talking with the old timers that show up right when it opens.

Won't go back! Last time there had to flag the waiter down to get another beer, and they weren't that busy, then we had to flag him down to ask where are food was? When he finally brought it, it was cold??

rplarry

Wife and I went once to see what all the hype was about. We'll never go back to that high priced tourist trap
Warm Beer, rancid hamburger meat, mold on the fries. I've had better margaritas out of a can.
Better pizza at Condor in town.
Watched the fight at Bryans much better.
Like others commenting, we have eaten there 100's of times. We usually eat at the restaurant at least one night when we are down there and usually get take out another night during our stay. 9.8 out of 10 times we get exactly what we ordered.

Pizza, seafood, pasta, appetizers and beer are always great. They have awesome salads and actually serve green Romaine lettuce, not iceberg!

I call BS on your "rancid hamburger meat and mold on the fries" report. If that were the case you would have gone ape S**t on this site already with that kind of report.

If you are the .02% that had a bad experience, that is too bad. If you don't go back then we have a better chance at a front row seat.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Like others commenting, we have eaten there 100's of times. We usually eat at the restaurant at least one night when we are down there and usually get take out another night during our stay. 9.8 out of 10 times we get exactly what we ordered.

Pizza, seafood, pasta, appetizers and beer are always great. They have awesome salads and actually serve green Romaine lettuce, not iceberg!

I call BS on your "rancid hamburger meat and mold on the fries" report. If that were the case you would have gone ape S**t on this site already with that kind of report.

If you are the .02% that had a bad experience, that is too bad. If you don't go back then we have a better chance at a front row seat.
I love the Greek Salad w/extra Feta...One serving enough for two

bluepenguin

In Town Gringo

More power to you buddy. I have no reason to "B.S" about my experience.

rplarry

I love the Greek Salad w/extra Feta...One serving enough for two
The Greek salad is REALLY good!

Additionally, if you catch a fish that you want to eat and want it prepared for you, Capone's will charge you $10 to prepare it. Now, that may sound like a lot if you catch 1 trigger, but if you catch 3-4 nice flounder or a few nice Corvina, its a solid deal. They will prepare your fish grilled, fried, cajun, blackened, etc. It comes with whatever pasta you choose and a great marinara sauce. Bring some of your own shrimp, or ask them to toss in a few, and you will have a feast for $10-20.

If you don't have your own fish to bring in, which most of the time I don't, get the blackened grouper and pasta. I know Dave catches enough of it that is always fresh and one of the best meals you will have in Penasco. Did I mention the garlic bread is to die for ??

Sometimes I like cooking my catch myself, other times I just like taking it down to Capone's and waiting for the tasty order to take home while enjoying an ice cold Indio. I usually grab a pizza too, because it's great eating the 2nd day as well!

Salud!!

ben21

IMO Capone's has the best service of any restaurant in RP, with Mar Blu a close second. My food has always been fresh and the staff has always been accommodating. We were there one night and the owner was sitting next to us and gave us some great recommendations as well. It's become a given that we stop in at least once every trip.

Per recommendations of many, went to Capone's with my wife and her family Sat night for the fight.

QUICK COMMENTS:
-directions: just take Benito Juarez toward the Malecon, make a left on Fremont, goes down maybe a mile or so, make a right on Sinaloa, and it will be down a few blocks on the right side
-I called the night before and was strongly recommended to be there at 6:30-6:45 to guarantee seating for the fight. This was right on, as we got there at about 6:50 and grabbed the 2nd to last table upstairs. This was obviously a hugely promoted fight, so I assume it is a rare occurrence, but based on my experience I would recommend getting there early if its a big sporting event.

PROS: 1) TONS of TVs everywhere, and a HUGE (probably 120") bigscreen upstairs 2) pretty good service, which I judge on a curve because it was absolutely MOBBED; yeah, there were a couple times when my beer wasn't re-filled as quickly as I wanted, but overall very solid all considered 3) food was solid: PIZZA was thin crust but soft (which I actually like, I know others prefer thin and crispy; I imagine you could special order it that way if you wanted), wings were solid if not spectacular, and the Rocky Rolls were good as well.
CONS: 1) Biggest con was lack of AC and shortage of fans in the upstairs area; it was H-O-T; downstairs they did have AC (although not blasting), but upstairs it was pretty rough- we were ordering pitchers of water non-stop and sweating heavily; I know this is probably a rare occurrence as well, since if it wasn't as packed, or if it was in a milder month, it wouldn't be a big deal; but it should be noted; some powerful ceiling fans upstairs would be a great help.

Overall, we had a blast and the atmosphere was great. I would definitely go back to watch a game or just have dinner and try more of the menu.

CJ*

TRY THE CJ's SHRIMPDOGS!!!! Excellent! Bacon wrapped shrimp inside a corn dog with cajun dipping sauce. Go hungry or plan to share as the order is for 6 Shrimpdogs. YUM!

gup

QUICK COMMENTS:

we have a guys lunch out while woman have theirs , at least two times during our stay. Their bergers called the "BOSS' are huge and come with fries and $2 beer. Highly recommend.

Jellyfish

We love going to Capone's. I've always had the buffalo wings or pizza. I need to branch out as the bucket of clams sounds great.