Bird Island Trips

marybna

I have never gone out to Bird Island. I have a renter coming in that wants to do this. Which is the best one to go on? How much does it cost? Is it safe for kids to go in the water with the sea lions? Please share your ideas with me.

playaperro

El Pirata
I have never gone out to Bird Island. I have a renter coming in that wants to do this. Which is the best one to go on? How much does it cost? Is it safe for kids to go in the water with the sea lions? Please share your ideas with me.
This link will open if you have facebook, price anywhere from 20 to 30 dollars depending on the day, open bar on some cruises, hope they're not too picky about the drinks.....yes safe depending on the kid...https://www.facebook.com/EcoFunRentals

YumaJames

I go out to Bird Island with my private boat every so often, and highly recommend it. It's about 20 miles out which is a short distance if the water's calm, a long distance if its rough. Its a real neat fun place, especially for kids, since there's a lot of sea lions hanging out on the island and playing in the water, and that's about all there is to see there. Every time I take people out there they love it! You're not allowed to set foot on the island since it's protected, and anyways, theres not much on the islands, just some ragged rock. I've seen videos on YouTube of people swimming with the sea lions there, I'm not brave enough for that. Personally I'd never let my kids swim with them just to be safe, but that's me. I've read you should never do this in spring since the bull sea lions are very protective of their calves. Am not sure who does tours out there now, you may want to check with the dive shop that's in the little shopping mall on the left just before you enter the Malecon, am sure they do it or would know. I find in Rocky Point it's not like the good times 10 years ago when there were multiple tour and fishing charters, now its very limited to find anyone to take you out.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Slight mod....Bird Island is about 90 bux per person (worth it times 2). The sunset cruises and other local floats are 30 bux. Great pics from a great trip they had today on their facebook page

mondone

Whitecaps
The EcoFun has been running pretty regularly out to Bird Island as I see them passing my beach house in Encanto most every morning and returning in the afternoon. It's a neat vessel too, I was invited on a sunset cruise last year and had a nice time.

marybna

I got alot of great information about Bird Island. In my youonger days we did the Sunset Cruises here and in San Carlos. But never been to Bird Island. Jack is not a great sailor, but if I pick a day when it is not windy, it might be fun.

tmotsinger

Eating Newbie Gringo Taco
Either EcoFun or Del Mar Charters. The EcoFun is an easy, breezy trip with snacks, open bar, and music. It leaves from the port, then picks up passengers at Mayan Palace via a dinghy. So a trip from Del Mar is much faster. I also drive houseguests to Mayan and start there to shorten the trip. You can swim and snorkel with the juvenile sea lions, but you'll want to stay away from the bulls protecting their harem and calves on shore. They also have kayaks and will take you on a shore tour on a motorized dinghy. It is so, so, SO worth the time and $85.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk